Alan Tarney's Whereabouts

Anything about people who are not Shadows members

Moderators: David Martin, dave robinson, Iain Purdon, George Geddes

Alan Tarney's Whereabouts

Postby donna plasky » Tue Sep 27, 2011 6:45 pm

Hello, everyone. My name is Donna and I am a new member from Philadelphia, Pennsylvania in the USA. Thank you for allowing me to join your community. I am enjoying it so much. I was wondering if anyone knows what Alan Tarney is doing nowadays? And, any suggestions as to where I could send him a fan letter? His birthday is coming up in November, so maybe I could send a birthday card along with a fan letter. I really like the three Tarney/Spencer Band albums, plus Alan's work with Sir Cliff -- in addition to Alan's work with The Shadows, of course.

Thanks, everyone.

Warm regards,

Donna Plasky
donna plasky

Full Real Name: Donna Plasky

Re: Alan Tarney's Whereabouts

Postby cockroach » Thu Sep 29, 2011 10:57 am

Hi Donna

Last I heard was that Alan was living with his family somewhere near Windsor in Berkshire in England.

If you want to send me a PM , I have his brother's(Frank Tarney) address here in South Australia- he may be willing to pass on your enquiry.

I used to see Frank (rhythm guitar) and Alan(bass and also Hammond organ) playing in the top local bands here in South Australia in the mid '60's. Their lead guitarist was Kevin Peek, who also recorded and played with Cliff, and the drummer was Trevor Spencer. Terry Britten was also a top local player here back then, as was John Farrar in Melbourne with the Strangers before he joined Hank and Bruce in MWF.

Back in the '80's I played in a pickup band a couple of times with Frank, and he told me how Alan was doing in England, where he moved back to live in the early '70's.

Regards

John Cochrane
cockroach

Full Real Name: john cochrane

Postby donna plasky » Thu Sep 29, 2011 7:37 pm

John, thank you so very much! I shall send you a PM tonight, when I return home from work. Again, thank you so much for your kindness.

Donna
donna plasky

Postby cockroach » Sat Oct 01, 2011 10:10 am

Thanks Donna, I have sent an e-mail directly to your private e-mail address. Hope it arrives OK.
cockroach

Full Real Name: john cochrane

Postby donna plasky » Mon Oct 10, 2011 5:14 am

Dear Phil: Thank you so much for your reply. I love your avatar picture, by the way -- Animal the Muppet is my favorite! I really appreciate the information about Alan. I'm looking forward to watching the video links and reading about Oliver Tarney. I am so happy that I joined this Board (at the recommendation of a friend) because otherwise I would never have had the opportunity to meet fellow Shadows fans. Thanks again.

Best regards,
Donna
donna plasky

Postby donna plasky » Fri Nov 18, 2011 10:53 pm

Alan Tarney -- if you're out there somewhere -- happy birthday!

If anyone on the Board would like to hear a sample of Alan's music, here is a YouTube video of my favourite Tarney/Spencer Band tune - "I'm Your Man Rock 'n Roll." As it is from Top of the Pops, yes there is some miming...or lip synching, as we call it in the States. However, I believe the lead vocals might be live. It sounds a bit different than the album, on which Alan sings, plays guitar, bass, keyboards, and synthesizer. Trevor Spencer is on percussion.

Best wishes,
Donna
donna plasky

Return to People