Remembering John Rostill

Anything about people who are not Shadows members

Moderators: David Martin, dave robinson, Iain Purdon, George Geddes

Remembering John Rostill

Postby donna plasky » Sat Nov 26, 2011 10:15 pm

John Henry Rostill (16 June 1942 – 26 November 1973)

"Farewell to a Friend" by Brian Bennett

We will always miss you, John...always.

Donna
donna plasky

Full Real Name: Donna Plasky

Re: Remembering John Rostill

Postby Geoff_W » Sat Nov 26, 2011 10:47 pm

RIP John, gone but not forgotten.
Geoff_W

Full Real Name: Geoff Worrall

Postby David Martin » Sun Nov 27, 2011 5:33 pm

Well done Donna... thanks for reminding us...
David M
David Martin
Site Admin

Full Real Name: David Martin

Postby StuartD » Thu Dec 01, 2011 10:27 am

Another year comes round and hopefully we will never forget a superb musician and, more importantly, a really nice person.

RIP John

Stuart
StuartD

Full Real Name: Stuart Duffy

Postby Princess65 » Wed Mar 28, 2012 9:48 pm

Hi Darlings. I'm Amara from Canada. I am now in my mid 40's but have been a Shads fan since i was 14. Every time i read stuff like this about John it moves me. Of all the Shads members he was my favorite and became the main motivation in my life for taking up the Bass myself. Ahead of his time and no mistake, his style was to literally slap the strings as they do today and have done now since the 80s, but as his time was in the 60's to early 70s no one noticed. I'm glad they have noticed now. Thanks for listening.
Princess65

Postby donna plasky » Thu Mar 29, 2012 12:35 am

Hello, Amara. You are from Canada? We are practically neighbors; I am from the USA, in Pennsylvania. When I first joined this Shadows board, I heard about an upcoming publication that was written by Rob Bradford (also known by his screen name, Arpeggio) who is a member of this board. Rob's book is a biography of John Rostill, called "Funny Old World." I am sure Rob will post an announcement when the book is available for sale, so you may wish to keep an eye out for it. I sure am!

One of my favourite recordings of John Rostill is the version of "Scotch on the Socks" which appears on the album "The Shadows at Abbey Road, The Collectors' Edition." It is not the official, final version of the song. It is an out-take, where you can hear The Shadows laughing very loudly in the background, while they are listening to a recording of Scotch on the Socks. John's the one in the song, saying "Going down to see my baby..." I don't see this particular version of "Scotch on the Socks" on YouTube, only the final release. But if you get a chance to buy the Abbey Road album, you might like this song. It makes me happy to hear THEM feeling so happy.

Best wishes, and Welcome
-Donna

donna plasky

Full Real Name: Donna Plasky

Postby Princess65 » Fri Mar 30, 2012 12:18 am

Hi Donna.

Thanks for the reply. You've made me feel very welcome as well as HAPPY. Yes "Scotch On The Socks". It's often been said that the Shads were never funky apart from on "The Rise and Fall Of Flingel Bunt", but this is not so, and "Scotch On The Socks" proves the point in crashing style. Thanks also for the heads up on the book, it will be nice to finally get my hands on a copy of it, lol. I guess the other thing to really make me blush is the way The Shads name has finally made it Stateside these past ten years, as well as to impress itself upon girls too. For the record, i wrote to Bruce Welch this past week, in the course of signing the guestbook on his site, and i told him that the biggest mistake they ever made was to not chance it with the rest of them in the Sixties when the British Invasion was at its height. I have no doubt whatsoever that both with and without Cliff they would have been a smash (to say nothing of Marvin, Welch and Farrar poss shifting a few more copies). Check out "Come Back To Nature", "My Home Town" and "Marmaduke" on the Marvin, Welch & Farrar CD "A Thousand Conversations" - MFP6402-7243-8-59735-2-9. Could be the disc is now deleted sadly as I've had it since the late 90s BUT don;t despair there ARE definitely other collections of their stuff around if you ask nicely at the HMV Shop or other related stores. Just trying to do you a good turn as you were friendly to me. Back on the subject of John Rostill's fiery fingers, another good one (and one i think should have been a 45), check out they're version of "Tennessee Waltz" on the "Jigsaw" LP from 1967.
Much love and big hugs for now sweetie. Your Friend, Amara XX
Princess65

Return to People