Rick Hardy at the 2i's: Unsung Hero?

Anything about people who are not Shadows members

Moderators: David Martin, dave robinson, Iain Purdon, George Geddes

Rick Hardy at the 2i's: Unsung Hero?

Postby GoldenStreet » Mon Mar 12, 2012 2:08 pm

I've just recently learned, over five years after the event, of the sad demise in a road accident of Rick Hardy (aka Rick Richards), a seminal figure in the heyday of the 2i's coffee bar. I first met him years later (2002 to be precise) at a regular pub jazz session in Berkhamsted, not knowing, initially, that this was the man who had played a key role in the lives of those, amongst others, who were to become the heroes we celebrate on this forum.

Due to a subsequent change of landlord and the cessation of the jazz sessions not long afterwards, I lost touch with Rick and didn't see him again. It makes one realise just how many stalwart individuals of this type continued to play their trade in music well away from the spotlight of stardom!

http://www.geoffgibbsguitarist.pwp.blue ... hardy.html

Bill
GoldenStreet

Full Real Name: Bill Hannay

Re: Rick Hardy at the 2i's: Unsung Hero?

Postby Paul Creasey » Mon Mar 12, 2012 5:25 pm

Thanks, Bill, for posting such an interesting link!
I hadn't been aware of Rick Hardy, or his place in the history of The Shadows. His story indicates, to me at least, the depth of - often little known - talent that exists behind "the Stars".
Years ago I played in a Band with a saxophonist/clarinetist who always used to say "If you can play a musical instrument, you have a duty to PLAY it!" - it seems that Rick was very much an exponent of that philosophy, too!
Rest in Peace, Rick.
Regards
Paul.
Paul Creasey

Return to People