Dakotas Play The Shadows (sort of....)

For anything about people who are not Shadows members

Moderators: David Martin, dave robinson, Iain Purdon, George Geddes

Re: Dakotas Play The Shadows (sort of....)

Postby GoldenStreet » Mon Mar 19, 2012 4:46 pm

This is the one!

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Best-Of-The-Def ... 839&sr=8-1

I gather Mike Maxfield is no longer playing, but is still involved with the current lineup of the group.

Bill
GoldenStreet

Full Real Name: Bill Hannay

Postby Arpeggio » Mon Mar 19, 2012 6:09 pm

Yup! That's the one Bill. Not very common. Of course, only 'essential' or of interest to anyone who wants rare Billy J Kramer stereo mixes. Mike Maxfield (a brilliant guitarist and an all round thoroughly nice guy) suffered a serious stroke a few years ago. Thankfully he recovered but the sise effects left him unable to play the guitar to his former brilliant standard. Reluctantly Mike took the decision to retire from performing but, as you say Bill, he's kept in touch with his former bandmates and he remains involved with and interested in the music business.

Rob :)
Arpeggio

Postby GoldenStreet » Tue Mar 20, 2012 12:11 pm

From AMG:-

http://www.allmusic.com/artist/the-dako ... /biography

It's regrettable that the Dakotas, like the Fentones, never got to make an album.

Bill
GoldenStreet

Postby cockroach » Tue Mar 20, 2012 2:00 pm

A question please....

Was 'The Cruel Sea' recording speeded up?
cockroach

Full Real Name: john cochrane

Postby GoldenStreet » Thu Apr 19, 2012 5:12 pm

CD 4 of the Billy J. Kramer 4-disc set "Do You Want To Know A Secret: The EMI Years 1963-83" features 8 tracks by the Dakotas, including two vocals items, "I Count The Tears" (previously unissued) and "My Girl Josephine". The lead vocalist is unidentified, but possibly Mike Maxfield... would anyone have any clues at all? There's also an interesting alternate take in stereo of "Magic Carpet", entitled "Tibet (Magic Carpet)" !

Bill
GoldenStreet

Postby anniv 63 » Fri Apr 20, 2012 1:07 pm

I might be wrong but I think Robin McDonald Rythm guitarist could have been their occasional
vocalist

Mike
anniv 63

Full Real Name: mj shiach

Postby bob t » Fri Apr 20, 2012 1:18 pm

Arpeggio wrote:Hi Ray,
You're quite right about George Martin playing piano & keyboards on all of the Billy J Kramer / Dakotas and Dakotas recordings. By recording the piano at a slow speed and then double tracking it and then speeding it all up the 'wound piano' sounded like a sort of 12 - string guitar. "Magic Carpet" (original title "Tibet") came first I'm afraid. I think that it was released in late October 1963 and was probably recorded during August / September '63. "Little Children" wasn't recorded until 23rd January 1964.

Rob :)

I seem to remember reading an interview with Mike Maxfield and I'm sure it was stated that he payed the piano as well as the guitar on Cruel Sea and Magic Carpet. The reasoning being that he would give the piano the same feel and timing as the guitar so that the tracks would fit together better.

Bob T
bob t

Full Real Name: Robert Timmins

Postby Arpeggio » Fri Apr 20, 2012 1:44 pm

Not impossible of course but, as George Martin seems to have pioneered the 'wound piano' sound & certainly played it on Billy J's recordings - it would seem more likely to be George Martin himself - especially as he wrote "Magic Carpet" too. He would have been very influential as the producer. Having listened to a lot of pianists during the course of 50 years or more....the 'touch' and the style would seem to be George Martin to me. Of course - another scenario is that Mike Maxfield may have suggested the idea, or suggested that he play - and may have indeed played on run throughs, rehearsals or unreleased takes -with George Martin finally deciding that he would prefer to do it himself. Just my thoughts on the subject. It could have been Mike but my money's still on George Martin. What do others think??

Rob :D
Arpeggio

Postby JimN » Fri Apr 20, 2012 5:05 pm

bob t wrote:I seem to remember reading an interview with Mike Maxfield and I'm sure it was stated that he payed the piano as well as the guitar on Cruel Sea and Magic Carpet. The reasoning being that he would give the piano the same feel and timing as the guitar so that the tracks would fit together better.
Bob T

Les Paul used to say more or less the same thing about his own multi-tracked recordings.

One wonders how a symphony orchestra ever manages to get a coherent sound from the strings, with all those individual players scraping away... ;)

JN
JimN

Full Real Name: Jim Nugent

Postby HAIRY » Fri May 18, 2012 11:22 am

On the strength of this thread I purchased the CD 4 of the Billy J. Kramer 4-disc set "Do You Want To Know A Secret: The EMI Years 1963-83" as mentioned by Golden Street. In addition to hearing both familiar and less familiar material, I was pleased to be reminded of interesting contribution made by the rhythm guitar.
HAIRY

Full Real Name: Harry Ellis

PreviousNext

Return to People