RIP Dick Clark

Anything about people who are not Shadows members

Moderators: David Martin, dave robinson, Iain Purdon, George Geddes

RIP Dick Clark

Postby George Geddes » Thu Apr 19, 2012 10:58 am

Not a musician, but highly influential...

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-us-canada-17763412#

(Thanks to Alan T for the link)

George
George Geddes

Full Real Name: George Geddes

Re: RIP Dick Clark

Postby donna plasky » Thu Apr 19, 2012 9:43 pm

Hello. It was very kind of you to mention Dick Clark; thank you. Below is a link to an article from my local paper, and within the article are links to numerous related articles - in case the titles or anything looks of interest to anyone.

Dick Clark hosted "American Bandstand" which was broadcast live from Philadelphia, Pennsylvania (where I live) when it first started. After 10 or 20 years, the show relocated to California -- but in it's prime, it was right here in Philly. I think both the UK and Australia had similar shows (The Go! Show, for example). Teenagers would leave high school at the sound of the closing bell and rush over to the studio where it was being filmed. The hope was you could get in, and dance on the dance floor -- and your friends and family would see you on TV. Plus, in addition to dancing to records playing over the Public Address system, you got to see live peformances (even with some miming involved). Many of the rock and roll stars who had their roots in Philadelphia, got their start by performing on Bandstand...people like Bobby Rydel, Frankie Avalon, Fabian, Chubby Checker, etc. [In thinking about it, this is similar to what is in the movie "Grease" with John Travolta and Olivia N-J.]

People in this area feel sad about his passing, as we regard him as one of our own. RIP.

-Donna

http://www.philly.com/philly/entertainment/20120419_Dancing_in_Dick_Clark_rsquo_s_honor.html
donna plasky

Full Real Name: Donna Plasky

Postby abstamaria » Sun Apr 22, 2012 11:52 am

He was a household name, even as far as here, at least of my generation. I was sad to hear the news.

Andy
abstamaria

Full Real Name: Andres Sta. Maria

Postby roninnes » Tue Apr 24, 2012 11:54 am

I remember when living in Canada I watched one of Dick's shows and he somehow managed to get Connie Francis to appear for the first time in a long, long time. She had gone into retirement and vowed never to apear in public again.
Kudos to Dick Clark, he was a legend in the world of music in North America.

Ron
Ron
roninnes

Full Real Name: Ron Innes

Return to People