My new birthday gear

Information about availability of backing tracks

My new birthday gear

Postby abel » 13 May 2016, 06:41

Hi all,

I hope you are all in good health and spirit.

I decided to get this gear for my birthday this Monday and wanted to know if any of you has either purchased it or tried it.
It's the TRIO+ by Digitech.

http://digitech.com/en-US/products/trio-plus

It's a kind of backing track / band creator where you can overdub several tracks on top of the built-in bass and drums, and the
chords (recorded with the built-in Looper).

I don't plan on using it to create BTs as I buy excellent BTs from Karaoke-version.co.uk for great favorites.
I want to use it to create compositions in the style of Billy Mure (with several harmony lines) that I recorded some time ago

or in the Les Paul swing style.
I would like to compose short themes that could develop into full songs.

It seems that one cannot save the songs or BTs as audio files , so I am not sure how to proceed and would
very much like to get some advise from the experts in this site who might know a work around.

Blessings,
Abel
abel

Re: My new birthday gear

Postby keithmantle » 13 May 2016, 06:59

Hi Abel, Dave Robinson has just purchased one i think.
keithmantle

Postby dave robinson » 14 May 2016, 15:35

Yes indeed I have the Trio+ with the optional footswitch.
I use it for practicing solos and licks as it allows me to get back to fitness without having to bring the lads in.
It takes a bit of getting used to programming, but the time spent is worth it in the end. It's something that you have to get your head around and can't be 'taught'. You have to simplify the rhythm parts to get the desired backing. :)
Dave Robinson
dave robinson

Postby abel » 14 May 2016, 19:42

Thank you Keith, Dave,

I picked it up yesterday and started reading.
Quite a beast, but I need to learn it to concretely formulate my musical ideas.

Dave,
Could you please let me know if you find a way of saving a song (bass + drums + Loops _ overdubs) to a file
playable from a tablet or a CD?.

A customer got this answer on the Digitech website:

DOES THE TRIO + MANAGER STORE FILES TO YOUR COMPUTER?

Yes, the TRIO+ files are stored to your computer, however they are not saved as audio files, so they cannot be exported to a DAW recording software

Thank you much,
Abel
abel

Postby dave robinson » 15 May 2016, 00:27

Because that isn't why I bought it I haven't considered that possibility, I made backing tracks for a living since 1979 so I have everything I need in that area.
I bought this for spontaneity when I have a new idea in my head to get a quick demo and give me an idea how my newly composed phrase may sound with bass & drums allowing me to expand it in the studio and for practicing on my own.
I suppose you could compose something and record it to tape or hard drive to be used later as an Mp3. :)
Dave Robinson
dave robinson

Postby abel » 15 May 2016, 18:35

That 's exactly what I want to do Dave, but I don't have the knowledge to create BTs like you do,
so I am going to make the best of this unbelievable pedal to create only my compositions backing tracks.

I will post samples when ready.

Dave, could you point me to postings of your band performing lately?.
Any swing, jump blues, Rockabilly performances?.

Blessings,
Abel
abel

Postby dave robinson » 15 May 2016, 21:56

abel wrote:That 's exactly what I want to do Dave, but I don't have the knowledge to create BTs like you do,
so I am going to make the best of this unbelievable pedal to create only my compositions backing tracks.

I will post samples when ready.

Dave, could you point me to postings of your band performing lately?.
Any swing, jump blues, Rockabilly performances?.

Blessings,
Abel

Unfortunately because of my recent illness there are no new clips available. What there is can be found on YouTube under Past Masters at the Acorn theatre. There will be new stuff in the future' but nothing prepared as yet.

I read that you can make songs up on the Trio+ using up to five parts, then saving them as songs. I haven't yet done that but will be investigating it's merits. :)
Dave Robinson
dave robinson

Postby abel » 23 May 2016, 02:39

Hi Dave,

As you suggested, I read the book and started practicing.
I was able to create a part, a loop and overdubs.

I am running into the following issue:

- From what I understand, the 1st overdub is mixed with the loop, so they will be at the same sound level,
so as loop, I recorded chord jabs and as 1st overdub , I recorded a simple guitar riff (comes out blended with the chord jabs).
- As 2nd overdub , I created my main melody theme with a higher guitar volume, but it still is blended with the loop and the 1st
overdub
and they sound equal when you playback..

Do you know a solution for this? in other words, how do you control the volume between the "Loop + 1st overdub" and the subsequent overdubs. ?.
I want the subsequent overdubs louder than the "loop + 1st overdub"

Thank you much,
Abdel
abel

Postby dave robinson » 23 May 2016, 09:54

Sorry that I'm unable to answer that Abel, I get what I need from it using one loop for which you can set the volume with it's designated control, using the seperate volume controls for bass and drums. I might add that I have the backing routed through my mixer and the live guitar going through my guitar amp. :)
Dave Robinson
dave robinson

Postby abel » 23 May 2016, 13:10

Thanks Dave,

I have the same settings with the Bass and Drums going to the mixer that Jim Nugent helped me set up when he
came visiting a few years ago.
I'll try and call Digitech today.

Blessings,
Abel
abel

Next

Return to Backing Tracks