Band in a Box - Help Please ?

Information about availability of backing tracks

Moderators: David Martin, dave robinson, Iain Purdon, George Geddes

Band in a Box - Help Please ?

Postby scouserjoe2 » Thu Jun 06, 2019 4:08 pm

Hi,

I am trying once again (probably for the 6th or 7th time) to understand and master this programme. I always seem to get so far, then give up frustrated. I understand the basic concepts and have worked through some tutorials, but the real problem is finding the appropriate 'Style' and often the right 'Real Tracks' to make a decent sound file. I have a good set of Styles and Real Tracks, although not all that are available. I know there are several members of this forum who use this programme and have produced some backing tracks with it, and those people have often commented how really good it is for producing the finished version or even just the skeleton of a backing track. That said, however much I try to get the right style and sound it never seems to work for me. A good way to understand a programme such as this is to work with a completed sample track, but all of the examples on offer seem to be jazz or swing related and little of the style of 60's music. Has anyone here got a good 'Band in a Box' SGU file for a Shadows' track that they would be kind enough to let me have a copy of, so that I can use it as a basic guide for development of my own tracks? If they could also advise if there are any specific 'Styles' or 'Real Tracks' that I need to add in order to get the right sound I would be grateful.

Many thanks,

Ian
scouserjoe2

Full Real Name: Ian Evans

Re: Band in a Box - Help Please ?

Postby AlanMcKillop » Thu Jun 06, 2019 8:31 pm

Ian Plant, aka sixchannel is your man. He is a regular contributor on Charlie Halls site.
AlanMcKillop

Full Real Name: Alan McKillop

Postby Stu's Dad » Thu Jun 06, 2019 11:30 pm

Ian,

Alan's right, but I don't think you visit that forum any more. You can find Ian on the forum 'Hank Marvin Sound and Technical'. He really is the expert with Band in a Box, and he's more than willing to share his knowledge.

Len
Stu's Dad

Full Real Name: Leonard Evans

Postby scouserjoe2 » Fri Jun 07, 2019 9:30 am

Hi,

Thanks to you both. Yes, I understand Ian Plant is an expert with this programme. Unfortunately I do not subscribe to Charlie Hall's site for reasons which I shall not go into here. I presume Ian Plant is still a member here, so I might drop him a PM if he doesn't see my post within a few days.

Ian
scouserjoe2

Postby jonmoi » Sat Jul 03, 2021 7:19 am

hi
Last edited by jonmoi on Thu Jul 08, 2021 12:19 am, edited 1 time in total.
jonmoi

Full Real Name: Jon de Wiele

Postby scouserjoe2 » Sat Jul 03, 2021 6:45 pm

Jon,

I haven't had any response or offers of help from anyone here and, after several frustrating attempts to make any sense of the 'STYLES' system in BIAB, I decided to do something better with my life and I gave up trying for the fourth time of asking :-(.
I deleted the 150 Gb application from my system and turned once again to my photography which was my principal activity during an eventful winter. However, now that the Highlands of Scotland are filling up with COVID infected tourists I have decided to stay at home for the summer and have yet another look at this very clever but almost indecipherable application. Will let you know if anything begins to make any sense to me. !!!

Cheers,

Ian
scouserjoe2

Return to Backing Tracks