SMSE March meeting - at a NEW HOME...

No longer meeting

Moderators: David Martin, Iain Purdon, George Geddes, JimN

SMSE March meeting - at a NEW HOME...

Postby JimN » Wed Feb 24, 2010 9:11 pm

As already mentioned here in another thread, ShadowMusic (SMSE, Kent) is not only moving to a new venue with immediate effect, but is also moving to a different night of the week and a different position in the month.

First: the time and day - the next meeting will take place on Thursday 4th March and thereafter (for the foreseeable future) on the first Thursday of the month. Usual time (19:30 onwards).

Second: the venue...

The new venue wil be....

...[gulp]...

Temple Farm Working Mens Club, at 15-17 Cedar Road, Rochester, Kent ME2 2HB, [phone: 01634 717172 ]

If you have Satnav, you can use the postcode [ME2 2HB] as your homing signal.

If you're using less hi-tech methods of navigation, here's a map of the area:

http://tinyurl.com/yj92725

You can probably see that Cedar Road runs off Darnley Road, but doesn't quite meet. That's because the local authority, suffering an attack of the madness that affects all councils, blocked off the junction with concrete. "A" marks the spot (and it isn't far from the blocked-off junction), but you need to travel via Cuxton Road (the main road - A228) and Hawthorn Road in order to get as near as possible to the club.

See: http://tinyurl.com/yk8c48o

Knock twice (actually, ring the buzzer) and say "Spence sent me" - and they'll let you in. We're in the capacious back-room.

We have to pay a small honorarium to the club, so we will be reinstating the membership fee (relax, it's only 50p for the balance of the year to July inclusive) and will be retaining the £2 entrance fee.

This will be the 80th meeting of SMSE (by my reckoning) and because the new day of the month was arranged at short notice, it clashes with a trip I'm making, meaning that it will be the first SMSE that either Spence or I will have missed (and It'll Be Me...).

So be gentle with Spence, who'll be doing his best...

I'll see you at the April meeting (I hope).

Best wishes,

JN
JimN

Full Real Name: Jim Nugent

Re: SMSE March meeting - at a NEW HOME...

Postby David JM » Wed Feb 24, 2010 10:57 pm

Before I start, I'm not joking..................... ;)

Thank you Jim, for the detailed info. - but I hope that my response doesn't frighten anyone away. (That last bit might pass as a joke, let's see).

Why did we leave The Billabong? I was just getting used to finding it, to parking, and to making the three-hour, forty-mile trek back up to the A2.......... Slight exaggeration, there, but what's an hour or two here and there.

Anyway:-

The bad and good news is that June's brother (in Ross-on-Wye) isn't too clever, so we've made hasty arrangements to visit him. He's not dying, or anything like that, but his pacemaker responds to the bleeps from the timekeeping at the Winter Olympics, and he keeps talking about Bob Slay, whoever that is, so he's just not too clever. Well, what d'you expect from a Borden Grammar Schoolby of the early fifties.................??

The good news for you guys is that June and I will be travelling on the 4th March - therefore missing the meeting - sorry, Mike, I know just how much you were looking forward to hearing my instrumental renditions of "Three Wheels on my Wagon" and "Spanny Shies", (THAT'S a JOKE ! - or could have been).

Anyway, I'm sorry to disappoint all of my fans yet again, but remember:

"Absenthe makes the .............ermm, what was it now... ooh, - it'll come to me..."

So. Have a good evening guys........... I'm sorry that I shall be missing the fun and the new venue.

Don't take offence, Spencer, I'll keep my stick warm for another evening.

David
David JM

Postby JimN » Wed Mar 03, 2010 7:20 pm

Hi, David,

Well, it's tomorrow night for SMSE at the newest venue. And you aren't the only one who will miss it this month, as I am posting this from my hotel room on 10th Avenue, NYC.

Yes, that 10th Avenue, though thankfully, no sign of any slaughter.

This place is fantastic... we were at the Iridium jazz club on Monday - too late, of course, to see Les Paul, but we saw the Les Paul Trio, with guest guitarist Stanley Jordan - phenomenal!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vbsMoDxOHq8
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=v2zOLAaYYJM

I saw a Gibson L5 in a shop on 48th Street - like Ecca's, but sunburst instead of wine red - and only one pickup (the Wes Montgomery model). A snip at $8,000 (I'm tempted to go back down there and buy it).

See you soon, chaps...

JN
JimN

Full Real Name: Jim Nugent

Postby George Geddes » Wed Mar 03, 2010 11:07 pm

I don't believe it, Jim. You're really in Bognor...

George
George Geddes

Full Real Name: George Geddes

Postby 47guitarman » Fri Mar 05, 2010 10:11 am

An excellent first meeting at the new venue.
Great sound, great playing and very well attended.
Well done to Spence and Pete on the sound desk.
There was a great atmosphere all night.
Dave M
47guitarman

Full Real Name: Dave Moore

Postby LONGPLAYER09 » Fri Mar 05, 2010 2:28 pm

Yep, totally agree!!
Mick
LONGPLAYER09

Full Real Name: Mick Annis

Return to ShadowMusic South-East (SMSE)