SMSE (Kent) April meeting - and it's on April Fool's Day...

No longer meeting

Moderators: David Martin, Iain Purdon, George Geddes, JimN

SMSE (Kent) April meeting - and it's on April Fool's Day...

Postby JimN » Sun Mar 28, 2010 1:22 pm

...yes - April the first, quite by coincidence, seeing that the new rule is "first Thursday of the month"!

Temple Farm Working Mens Club, at 15-17 Cedar Road, Rochester, Kent ME2 2HB, [phone: 01634 717172 ]

If you have Satnav, you can use the postcode [ME2 2HB] as your homing signal.

If you're using less hi-tech methods of navigation, here's a map of the area:

http://tinyurl.com/yj92725

Cedar Road runs off Darnley Road, but doesn't quite meet due to a concrete road-block.

"A" marks the spot - you need to travel via Cuxton Road (the main road - A228) and Hawthorn Road in order to get as near as possible to the club.

See: http://tinyurl.com/yjblf7h

Ring the buzzer and they'll let you in.

We're in the capacious back-room.

Bring your Strat / Marvin / Gibson L5CES or other weapon of choice...

JimN and Spencer S
JimN

Full Real Name: Jim Nugent

Re: SMSE (Kent) April meeting - and it's on April Fool's Day...

Postby JimN » Fri Apr 02, 2010 1:44 pm

I thought it worthwhile to post a short report of SMSE's second meeting at its new home, Temple Farm Working Mens' Club, in Cedar Road, Strood (Rochester). I wasn't able to be at the Marcgh meeting (prior engagement when the day was changed).

SMSE has had various homes over its seven year existence. We started off at the Upper Bell pub at Bluebell Hill, and had one meet at the nearby Lower Bell pub after the Upper Bell bit the dust. We were then alerted to the possibility of using the Hastings Arms in Gillingham, where we spent over four years. We had to move on for one reaon or another, and eventually settled down for a few months at the Billabong Club in Rochester city centre.

I have to say that the move to the TFWMC has been a great success - the room we use is just the right size for a great sound without having to have everything on too loud, and it places the audience directly in front of the performers with everyone having good sight lines. There is also plenty of space for guitars on stands, etc. An excellent venue and very suited to our needs.

At the April Fools' Day meeting, we had twenty members/guests plus Spencer and myself. It was a great atmosphere and it's safe to say that everyone had a really enjoyable evening.

Well done to the Strood Triumvirate (they know who they are!) who negotiated the use of the club by SMSE. A good move...

Best wishes,

JN (and Spencer S)
JimN

Full Real Name: Jim Nugent

Return to ShadowMusic South-East (SMSE)