The night of the Micks at SMSE - Player Of The Year Awards

No longer meeting

Moderators: David Martin, Iain Purdon, George Geddes, JimN

The night of the Micks at SMSE - Player Of The Year Awards

Postby JimN » Thu Jul 08, 2010 8:02 pm

The July meeting of SMSE (the 82nd regular meeting of the club) was marked by a severe outbreak of taking the mick when - much to his own surprise and shock - Mick Annis was awarded the coveted award for SMSE Player Of The Year 2010. The trophy (actually, a new one each time) is awarded annually in July to the player who has made the most progress in the club year (August-July).

Members had already heard Mick play storming versions of Tales Of A Raggy Tramline and Wonderful Land during the first half of the club night's programme and most agreed that Mick had made great strides in his playing since his first appearance at the club in August 2003.

After the mid-evening break, long-time punter (and more recently, guitarist) Micky "Marvin" Knight was asked by Spence to accompany him on one of Spence's compositions: Zanzibar. As the coda of the tune faded away, echoing around the rear function room opf the Temple Farm WMC, Jim, Mike Annis and Mike Beer (Mike being last year's POTY) approached the stage and Mike announced the award of a one-off award - to Micky Knight - in recognition of the surprise and delight he had brought to the club when it emerged that he was a rhythm guitarist of some distinction. To think: for five years or so, we didn't even know he played the guitar!

Micky was already a great rhythm player when he "came out" so we could hardly make the claim that he was "much improved". But SMSE (Spencer Scott and Jim Nugent) had wanted to honour their friend with a special award: Surprise Player Of The Year 2010. And this time, it was Micky's turn to be surprised...

Both Mick and Micky were congratulated by the past winners of the award who were present, Mike Beer and Alan Rogers.

Pictures:

Mick Annis poses proudly (if a little nervously) with his POTY 2010 trophy - the finest that Timpson's can supply...

SMSE 2010 POTY A.jpg
(455.19 KiB) Downloaded 5126 times

SMSE 2010 POTY A1.jpg
(338.47 KiB) Downloaded 5126 times

Micky Knight is congratulated by Mick Annis and 2009 POTY, Mike Beer:

SMSE 2010 POTY B.jpg
(483.45 KiB) Downloaded 5126 times

SMSE's first Player Of The Year (2007), Alan Rogers and 2009 Player Of The Year Mike Beer, add their own congratulations to an obviously delighted Micky Knight...

Micky Knight - SMSE POTY 2010 B1.jpg
(397.9 KiB) Downloaded 5125 times

Congratulations to both worthy winners,

JimN and Spencer S
JimN

Full Real Name: Jim Nugent

Re: The night of the Micks at SMSE - Player Of The Year Awards

Postby LONGPLAYER09 » Thu Jul 08, 2010 9:10 pm

Certainly a Knight to remember!! Still can't belive it, but thanks everybody. Anyone for guitar lessons?

Mick
LONGPLAYER09

Full Real Name: Mick Annis

Re: The night of the Micks at SMSE - Player Of The Year Awards

Postby MICKEYMARV » Mon Jul 19, 2010 9:05 pm

I would like to THANK you all for my beautiful TROPHY which was presented to me at the Strood Club,I must say it was such a shock and surprise to me on the night as I did not expect it, as I have never won,or been awarded anything before in my life,and it really made me feel so good,and I believe it was SPENCER AND JIM, who,s Idea it was for me to be put up for this AWARD,but if I have missed any-body out,could you please let me know,I would like to thank you ALL for everything including letting me play along side such a great GUITARIST like SPENCER and DAVE and not for getting my old FRIEND Alan Rodgers,many,many thanks to you,ALL certainly made my PRESENTATION a KNIGHT to REMEMBER,thank you once again and all those concerned,. MICKEYMARV. :
MICKEYMARV

Return to ShadowMusic South-East (SMSE)