SMSE March meeting - Wed 2nd in Strood

No longer meeting

Moderators: David Martin, Iain Purdon, George Geddes, JimN

SMSE March meeting - Wed 2nd in Strood

Postby JimN » Thu Feb 24, 2011 1:29 am

Yes, doesn't it roll round quick in March?

Next Wednesday, chaps, at 19:30 at Temple Farm Working Mens Club, at 15-17 Cedar Road, Rochester, Kent ME2 2HB, [phone: 01634 717172 ]

If you have Satnav, you can use the postcode [ME2 2HB] as your homing signal, and if you're using less hi-tech methods of navigation, here's a map of the area:

http://tinyurl.com/yj92725

Cedar Road runs off Darnley Road, but doesn't quite meet due to a concrete road-block.

"A" marks the spot - you need to travel via Cuxton Road (the main road - A228) and Hawthorn Road in order to get as near as possible to the club.

See: http://tinyurl.com/yjblf7h

Ring the buzzer on the white door and they'll let you in. Perhaps dressed in white coats. We're in the capacious back-room.

Bring your Strat / Marvin / Gretsch 6122 or other weapon of choice, choose your echo patch(es), select your choice of amp (Pete's AC30 or whichever one I bring*) and away you go...

See you there...

JimN and Spencer S

[* Perhaps I'll bring my "new" early 1970s Kelly amp (built in the style of the Selmer Treble'n'Bass 50 by a spin-off firm.]
JimN

Full Real Name: Jim Nugent

Re: SMSE March meeting - Wed 2nd in Strood

Postby JimN » Sun Feb 27, 2011 2:25 pm

(Almost) in the words of John Lennon: No Replies?

Ah well, there have at least been 170+ "hits" on the two versions of the message.

So we hope to see you there on Wednesday this week, chaps.

JimN and Spencer S

PS: I'll be trying my Kelly amp - and large speaker cabinet - out at the Plough (Langley, Maidstone) later today from 18:00 - 21:00. It's an open jam event. Any SMSEers reasonable local will be more than welcome to come along, listen, play, sing, criticise, drink, eat and/or be merry.

The pub is at the corner of the Maidstone-Headcorn Sutton Road and Leeds Road (the B-road north to Hollingbourne):

http://tinyurl.com/45zrhhs
JimN

Postby Razzmataz » Sun Feb 27, 2011 6:46 pm

I'm hoping to be there Wednesday.

Jim, may I use my new Barracuda with your amp?

Paul
Razzmataz

Full Real Name: Paul Beard

Postby Mike Beer » Tue Mar 01, 2011 4:25 pm

Yes, I'm hoping to be there and I'll be giving the Burns the chance to play some bum notes!

Mike
Mike Beer

Full Real Name: Mike Beer

Postby JimN » Tue Mar 01, 2011 6:02 pm

Razzmataz wrote:I'm hoping to be there Wednesday.
Jim, may I use my new Barracuda with your amp?
Paul

You'd be very welcome to do that, Paul, but I've found that one of the power valves is weak and the amp runs out of steam quite quickly.

I might still set it up, but until I can find a replacement pair of EL34s, it's giving about 20w instead of 50w.

On the other hand, I might power the speaker cab from the Super Champ XD. That'll soon learn it...

JN

So bring your Barracuda...
JimN

Postby Razzmataz » Tue Mar 01, 2011 6:10 pm

Most kind, I just don't want to blow out any speakers etc.
Razzmataz

Postby LONGPLAYER09 » Tue Mar 01, 2011 7:12 pm

Yep, i'll be there!
Mick
LONGPLAYER09

Full Real Name: Mick Annis

Postby johnabutler » Wed Mar 02, 2011 5:21 pm

Donald Rumsfeld said that absence of evidence wasn't evidence of absence. So absence of communication needn't be taken as communication of absence. I will be coming along as usual to listen for the WMD's (weapons of mass decibels), with the usual grin of appreciation and tapping of foot.
We will try to show our appreciation of your joint efforts in future by early reassurance of our intended presence.
See you later alligators

John B
johnabutler

Postby JimN » Thu Mar 03, 2011 4:35 pm

Hi, John,

It was good to see you at ShadowMusic South-East again last night. You may well hold the record as our most frequent and most loyal supporter!

I was also well-pleased with my £50 Kelly amp and speaker outfit (even if it has cost me another £130 in servicing, repairs and valves). And Paul Beard's Burns Barracuda (with Rez-O-Tube tailpiece and trem) sounded tremendous through it. I'd like to thank him here for not only bringing along that bass, demonstrating it and allowing the rest of us to examine it, but also for his great kindness in allowing me to use it to play Thunderbirds.

Another great night at Rochester last night. See you all in April (just after Tilburg).

Best wishes,

JimN and Spencer S
JimN

Postby Razzmataz » Thu Mar 03, 2011 4:51 pm

Jim, it was a pleasure. The standard was certainly high last night. The amp was the business and I’ll be interested in hearing it through your Carvin cab. The Barracuda will hopefully be appearing at Hoddesdon, Dartford and then Southend this month.
Paul
Razzmataz

Next

Return to ShadowMusic South-East (SMSE)