SMSE May meet - Wed 4th - AND A REQUEST re BASS

No longer meeting

Moderators: David Martin, Iain Purdon, George Geddes, JimN

SMSE May meet - Wed 4th - AND A REQUEST re BASS

Postby JimN » Tue Apr 26, 2011 10:00 am

The May meeting will take place on May 4th at the usual time and at the usual place: 7:30 onward at the Temple Farm Workingmen's Club, in Cedar Road, Strood.

But here's a thing... can any good bass player out there among you (I know you exist!) bring a bass and an amp on that night?

I ask because a new attender (whose name is Dave but who didn't leave his tel no last month) brought his electronic drum kit and wanted to play with a live band, but was unable to because we didn't have a bassist available. So his kit had to stay in the boot. But this month, perhaps we can do better for a half-dozen to a dozen well-known numbers?

Please email me or contact me if you can help (John?). We might even be able to do Nivram...

Also, don't forget your nominations for 2011 SMSE Player Of The Year - he whose playing has most improved over the last year or so. You cannot nominate Alan Rogers, Kevin Wooten, Mike Beer or Mick Annis (all previous winners).

Se you next Wednesday?

JimN and Spencer S (fresh from the Pipeline Convention)

PS: If you want to post a reply, please do that in THIS thread!
JimN

Full Real Name: Jim Nugent

Re: SMSE May meet - Wed 4th - AND A REQUEST re BASS

Postby LONGPLAYER09 » Tue Apr 26, 2011 5:38 pm

Yep i'll be there. As for a bass player, your pretty good Jim, so.....
Mick
LONGPLAYER09

Full Real Name: Mick Annis

Postby johnabutler » Mon May 02, 2011 8:56 am

Jim,
I might have been able to respond positively to your bass request but when you asked for a "good" bassist, then immediately the bar had been set a bit too high! Not having played in public for some 35 + years, I doubt whether I am up to SMSE standards any more, if I ever was. I only have a rather large Peavey amp, which I'm not sure would go in my car but can try if you like. I don't have a practice amp. As for the bass, well, its only an Ebay, cheap Precision copy from China. However, Dave Moore has manged to produce some good stuff with his Strat copy from the same source, so who knows? Let me know if you're prepared to risk a temporary lowering of standards?
As for "Nivram", I'm happy for you or somebody more competent to take that on with my guitar. I was never a great believer in bass solos - with good reason.

See you Wednesday, with or without gear.

John
johnabutler

Postby JimN » Mon May 02, 2011 11:54 am

John - I'm BITING your arm off!

And what's all this false modesty? I've heard you play bass - you are much better than you give yourself credit for. See you on Wednesday night?

I just hope the drummer (Dave) turns up with his electronic kit, now. And Acoustic Tony with his J-200 would be nice too... (!)

Best wishes, nice one, John...

Jim N and Spencer S
JimN

Postby johnabutler » Mon May 02, 2011 5:55 pm

Jim,

You've heard me play? I've never played at SMSE. Are you sure you have the right John? (I'm the one that's been hanging around with Mike Beer for the last 57 years). Unless perhaps you were that little boy in the audience at Hoo Marina Club in the late '60's where my group played regularly. They weren't that fussy an audience when the mobile home walls were pressing in and we usually went down well after the fifth or sixth pint!

John
johnabutler

Postby johnabutler » Mon May 02, 2011 7:06 pm

Jim,

Further to my previous post, if you're still convinced I'm the right one, can you give me an idea what numbers might be involved? After 40 years, a little hasty practice might be in order. Just don't expect Mark Griffiths MkII, or anything which sounds like the records.

John
johnabutler

Postby David JM » Mon May 02, 2011 8:26 pm

I know I'm tempting fate, but it looks as if June and I will be there............

Just to show how reasonably confident we are, I've been brushing up on Little Bo Peep !!

I bought the tabs off eBay for £30.00 - sheep at twice the price !! :lol:

Mike B has a mean way with a Bass Guitar, so he may just oblige.

If you can manage it, though, John, please do - it would be a treat to hear you play an active part.

Could you bring the Fender Super Champ, Jim/Spence? - I'd like to try it out.

By the way, there is the strong possibility of a new member - a guy called Edward, from Herne Bay. I hope to get there before he arrives "cold".

See you on Wednesday, fingers crossed - we do miss seeing you all.

David and June
David JM

Postby JimN » Tue May 03, 2011 12:31 am

JohnB:

Sorry, John. I've obviously got you confused with a completely different John...

But still, why not bring along your bass and amp? The songs essayed are likely to be all the usual suspects (Apache, Dance On, FBI, The Frightened City, etc), and it would enable Dave the drummer to take part. I'm sure that there are are a number of SMSE members who can help out on bass should it be necessary.

Dave M:

It'll be great to see you and June. If you would like to try the Super Champ XD, your wish is my command (as well as being lighter than a Twin Reverb or AC30).

See you both on Wednesday?

JimN (and Spencer S)

PS: All members: don't forget your Player Of The Year nominations (to be given to Spence or me surreptitiously).
JimN

Postby Mike Beer » Tue May 03, 2011 8:45 am

Jim, John,

John , you could have a go at Nivram!. Jim and I are going to play that as a duet on our Gretsches.

If I had to play bass it would need to be something very easy as I'm right out of practice!

Mike
Mike Beer

Full Real Name: Mike Beer

Postby David JM » Tue May 03, 2011 6:44 pm

That would be great, Jim, thank you.

We shall be arriving quite early this month (about 2030 hrs - that's early for us !! - only joking - more like 1830), so that I can set up my life-support system........

By the way, we're still on DC over here in the nether regions of the county - you wouldn't have a AC/DC convertor, would you?

I shall only need 15MA (Yeah, that's right - Mega Amps) - maybe a bit less if the Gemini doesn't draw as much as it has lately.

Our lights here dimmed considerably yesterday evening when I was running through "My Resistance is Low" ;) (There's a pun there somewhere).

Anyway, we are determined to be at the meeting.

See ya's.

David.
David JM

Next

Return to ShadowMusic South-East (SMSE)