Fender Super Champ XD - what do you think of it so far?

No longer meeting

Moderators: David Martin, Iain Purdon, George Geddes, JimN

Fender Super Champ XD - what do you think of it so far?

Postby JimN » Mon Oct 26, 2009 6:55 pm

Since early 2009, SMSE has relied almost exclusively on the Fender Super Champ XD as the main guitar amp for players. There are usually two of them available, though just to complicate things, we didn't have one at the Billabong at the October meeting (when we supplied a Mesa-Boogie Studio 22 and a Fender 1965 Reissue Deluxe Reverb instead).

So, in order to assist members taking part in parallel threads about how good these little Fender amps are, please, SMSE members and attenders, let the world know what you think about the sound we've been getting this year at the Hastings Arms and now at the Billabong...

TIA,

JimN
JimN

Full Real Name: Jim Nugent

Re: Fender Super Champ XD - what do you think of it so far?

Postby LONGPLAYER09 » Mon Oct 26, 2009 7:39 pm

No comparison, the Billybongo is much better in all ways!

mick
LONGPLAYER09

Full Real Name: Mick Annis

Postby Mike Beer » Mon Oct 26, 2009 10:16 pm

Yes, A much better sound at the Billabong than at the Hastings. I think that the SuperChamp is a great little amp and is my favorite, apart perhaps for an AC30, but I know which one I'd rather lug to the gig!

Mike
Mike Beer

Full Real Name: Mike Beer

Postby JimN » Tue Oct 27, 2009 5:53 pm

Thanks, Mick and Mike,

Just to clarify, it wasn't the overall sound at the venues I was asking about. It was more about the adequacy of volume and quality of tone of the Fender Super Champ XD amps which we have used at both places.

Mike - you have a Super Champ, don't you?

JN
JimN

Full Real Name: Jim Nugent

Postby Mike Beer » Tue Oct 27, 2009 8:58 pm

Yes Jim I do have a Super Champ XD, which I use all the time at home for practice and recording.
Mike Beer

Postby Mike Beer » Tue Oct 27, 2009 10:44 pm

Jim,

Further to my previous reply, I reckon the XD has sufficient volume for the Billabong, but it would probably not cope with a full band, particulary the drums.

Mike
Mike Beer

Postby David JM » Wed Oct 28, 2009 2:03 pm

Come on, now Mike, don't try and kid us all that you actually practice !!!

Only kidding.

I've enjoyed using the Champ - it's a good, punchy little amp, and if I didn't own the AC30, I'd treat myself to the Fender.

Having said that, I'm embarking on a build of an AC30 "Special" - EF86 channel, GZ34 rectifier, all ECC83 pre-amp stages, and EL84 outputs. Oh- and a cooling fan.

Custom-wound transformers and choke - all shoe-horned onto a "standard" AC30 Chassis (made by yours truly, of course - well, the guys in the factory actually). Point-to-point hand wired - it'll probably cost a fortune. I'm not building it, just paying for it !!

When It's complete, I'll bring it along. Don't hold your breath, though, I'm trying to negotiate the purchase of an original (true vintage) unused AC30 cabinet, complete with original Celestion Blues. The owner knows what he's got, though, and is holding out on price.

Anyway, back to the Champ. A good little amp and more than adequate for the Billabong. Not only does it provide enough volume, but the sound ain't bad either. But then you'd expect nothing less from a (Chinese - Plthah....!!) Fender.

By the way, I've discovered a pretty close match to Hank's sound on "Shindig": A touch of Compression, not too much echo, G3, AC30 (EF86 channel), fair bit of top, and loads of (painful) volume. The live sound is crap, but the mic'd version is almost spot on. Strange, innit?.......... (even reading about it brings on an acute bout of anorak-itis).

See you on Monday the er...........9th.

David JM
David JM

Postby Tab » Thu Oct 29, 2009 8:10 am

Hi Mike,

I'm more interested in the sound of the XD not the volume as I'm not going to play at the Albert Hall in the near future.

Does it produce those warm vintage tones that most of us seek?

Long time no see, by the way - hope you are well. Must get over to the Kent Club again soon.

kind regards,

Terry
Tab

Full Real Name: Terry Bryant

Postby Mike Beer » Thu Oct 29, 2009 10:40 am

Terry,

Yes, long time no see. I hope all's well with you.

Yes, the XD does produce nice warm Hank tones. The best setting seems to be using the "Tweed" setting at position 1 on the rotary control. The AC30 setting (position 7, and called "British) is also good, but breaks up into overdive at quite low volume.

Also you can pick it up with one hand, always good at my advancing years!

All the best, Mike
Mike Beer

Postby Tab » Thu Oct 29, 2009 12:22 pm

Thanks Mike,

I value your comments as I know you like to get close to 'The Sound'

I do plan to try one out soon, but it's not always easy to evaluate properly in the shop with everything going on and not using your own set up.

kind regards
Tab

Full Real Name: Terry Bryant

Next

Return to ShadowMusic South-East (SMSE)