Amplifier settings

"Guitars In The Shadows"
'The Place To Play'

Moderators: David Martin, dave robinson, Iain Purdon, George Geddes

Amplifier settings

Postby pete99 » Mon Aug 20, 2012 6:32 pm

Hi have got a fender frontman 65r amplifier connected to a zoom 508 delay peddle. I use a fender squire with gauge 10 strings and im trying to find the settings for the amplifier for playing various Shadows music. I also play a burns marquee with the same strings. I am new to to the forum seen so any help would be greatly received.
pete99

Re: Amplifier settings

Postby Jay Bass » Mon Aug 20, 2012 8:09 pm

Hi Pete
Welcome to the shadows music site
there is no Magic formula for setting amps etc ,just try to get a nice sound that you are happy with.
a good starting point as demonstrated by Eddie Allen whilst he was a fender guitar / amp demostrator
is to set all the tone controls on the amp to 12 O clock, use the bridge pick up on the guitar with the guitar tone full up.
to set the bass tone play a standard E chord and adjust the bass tone on the amp untill it sounds full but clear.
to set the mid control play a standard A chord and again just tweak it to sound full and clear not bassy and not harsh.
to set the treble play a standard D chord and again adjust the tone control until it sounds clear but not piercing treble.
just play a few riffs or chords and adjust to suit ,you dont need loads of top end treble.
a lot of the tone will also depend on your playing style . i dont have a fender frontman amp so i cant tell you exactly
what settings to use, someone on here may use or has used a frontman maybe able to give you some more info.
you mention you use the Zoom 508 delay pedal is this programmed with EFTP shadows patches or just the standard
zoom factory settings.The EFTP shadows patches are now available free of charge and will improve the overall
sound if you use the correct setting for each Shadows track.
hope this helps

Regards
Jay
Jay Bass

Full Real Name: Jay Van Harte

Re: Amplifier settings

Postby pete99 » Thu Aug 23, 2012 7:22 am

Hi Jay
Thanks for the advice i'll try that and see how i get on, i'm rearly new to playing and not a natural so need every bit of help possible which is why i was looking for some actual settings. Any help is greatly received. The advice i've been given in the past is change this buy that ect and its cost money so now i'm trying to work with what i have and go from there.

Yes the 508 is programmed with the shadows patches.

Thanks again for you help.
pete99

Return to Dartford Shadows Guitar Club