How essential is the Vibrato (Trem) ?

This is the place to find out or share tips!

Moderators: David Martin, dave robinson, Iain Purdon, George Geddes

Re: How essential is the Vibrato (Trem) ?

Postby Tigerdaisy » Wed Sep 20, 2017 8:34 am

dave robinson wrote:
Tigerdaisy wrote:I never said the trem wasn't needed and I agree its a big part of 'the sound', I just prefer the early use of it compared to the current 'clinical' technique.

Who's or what current clinical technique ecactly ?

The effect of the trem is lost by overuse, in a similar way on the Hammond where some player have the Leslie on the go all the time- it loses the dramatic effect you get when its just used as a climatic effect. HBM early use of the trem was more selective and aggressive and had attitude whereas now it sounds more like songs on sunday with leather bound bibles and Devon Violets aftershave. That's how it seems to me- just my opinion. In the early days I'd have loved a Strat with a trem, but these days I don't even own a Strat.
Tigerdaisy

Full Real Name: Martin Kay

Postby dave robinson » Wed Sep 20, 2017 11:14 am

Tigerdaisy wrote:
dave robinson wrote:
Tigerdaisy wrote:I never said the trem wasn't needed and I agree its a big part of 'the sound', I just prefer the early use of it compared to the current 'clinical' technique.

Who's or what current clinical technique ecactly ?

The effect of the trem is lost by overuse, in a similar way on the Hammond where some player have the Leslie on the go all the time- it loses the dramatic effect you get when its just used as a climatic effect. HBM early use of the trem was more selective and aggressive and had attitude whereas now it sounds more like songs on sunday with leather bound bibles and Devon Violets aftershave. That's how it seems to me- just my opinion. In the early days I'd have loved a Strat with a trem, but these days I don't even own a Strat.

Your opinion is valid to a point, as some players do over emphasise the Vibrato arm, mainly wannabees. Hank certainly does not. People who I enjoy listening to such as Chet Atkins, Jeff Beck, Duane Eddy and David Gilmour to name a few, actually use the vibrato arm in a very effective way and without it their music would lack the 'feel' that they gain from it.
I have mentioned 'feel' on this site more times than I care to mention, but it is something that few possess.

The other important factor regarding Hank's use of the vibrato back then compared to today, is the heavy string guages that were only available at that time, on which the vibrato had very little effect compared to the light guages of today, where just a slight touch will detune the strings a great deal. It is this that makes the use of todays players sound excessive, unless of course the are gifted with 'feel', which most players know only allows the slightest touch on the vibrato bar before sounding over done.

As for the use of the Leslie speaker, yes, I too have heard that abused over the years, mainly by organists with no 'feel" as described above. I rid myself of the problem by not listening to them, it's that easy. :)
Dave Robinson
dave robinson

Full Real Name: David Robinson

Postby Vincent » Thu Sep 21, 2017 4:49 pm

dave robinson wrote:
Vincent wrote:
nivramarvin wrote:Also on double stops finger vibrato is not possible - for me anyway.

It's very good for sounding like a cat! -like the one in the photo...and not forgetting Jimi Hendrix :thumbup:

I look forward to hearing some of your sound files if you would care to post some, so that we all may admire your expertise in this field. :)

No sound files & I'm not an expert...
Vincent

Full Real Name: vincent ludovico

Postby David Martin » Sat Sep 23, 2017 8:30 am

QED
David M
David Martin

Full Real Name: David Martin

Postby dave robinson » Sat Sep 23, 2017 10:03 am

I was thinking along similar lines David. :|
Dave Robinson
dave robinson

Full Real Name: David Robinson

Postby Vincent » Wed Sep 27, 2017 5:49 am

Uncle Fiesta wrote:This is unfortunately true. All that's required is a subtle, tasteful wiggle while remembering to move the arm the same distance up and down to prevent the note sounding sharp or flat. If done correctly, a gentle shimmer results, if not the effect sounds more like musical murder!

I know someone (he doesn't post on here) who is able to play permanently out of tune, by grabbing the arm like a weapon and yanking it violently upward after every note. (You can't tell him, of course.)

Prevent the note sounding flat? You see I thought that was the whole point in using it;even if just by a semitone...
Vincent

Full Real Name: vincent ludovico

Postby Iain Purdon » Wed Sep 27, 2017 8:14 am

As I see/hear it, a tremolo arm is
a device that enables a guitarist to alter the pitch of notes or entire chords to achieve various effects

As to its use, it's a question of what "effect" is chosen and how well it works in the context of the performance. It's all down to skill and judgement.
We will all have our own opinions, just we do about what is or is not "that sound"! :D
Iain Purdon
Iain Purdon

Full Real Name: Iain Purdon

Previous

Return to How To Get "That Sound"