Pickups...

Loads of accumulated experience

Moderators: David Martin, dave robinson, Iain Purdon, George Geddes

Re: Pickups...

Postby Tab » Thu Oct 17, 2019 9:57 am

No need to apologise, Rob. I was only wondering what point you were making and your English is better than many who post here with English as their native tongue.

The sound, as others have said, is good and it doesn't matter who's playing but it would be interesting to know exactly what equipment was used.

I posted a WL file in the 'The Marketplace' section to demonstrate the sound of the guitar for sale. I think it is important to get everything right if you're demonstrating equipment for people who want to get 'That Sound' and it seems, that in these threads most people do get it right.

Kind regards
Tab

Full Real Name: Terry Bryant

Postby bor64 » Thu Oct 17, 2019 10:13 am

Hi Roger,

Thanks for your nice comment!
I let the peeps involved know.
Your view of the stuff used?

Cheers Rob
"afterwards everyone is clairvoyant"
bor64

Full Real Name: Rob Aartsen

Postby dave robinson » Thu Oct 17, 2019 10:38 am

bor64 wrote:Hi Roger,

Thanks for your nice comment!
I let the peeps involved know.
Your view of the stuff used?

Cheers Rob

Thanks for sending me the track Rob, I got it and it played fine.
It sounds as close as it gets as I compared with the record like I always do and I think it's really close.
The purpose of my efforts are to show that you don't need expensive pickups or expensive anything to get close to the sound and I think most people will agree that the Sliders pickups sound great, but so do the stock Japanese ones too. I wasn't saying I was attempting the holy grail, it was a demonstration that anyone could achieve that same sound with normal gear. I tried a USA Standard Strat on Tuesday as well as a the much maligned Chinese Tokai and guess what ? They sounded exactly the same. :)
Dave Robinson
dave robinson

Full Real Name: David Robinson

Postby Stu's Dad » Thu Oct 17, 2019 11:28 am

This discussion seems to be about sound, so I'd be interested in opinions about the sound in this. I've never posted it because it was when I was making my first efforts at recording, and there's one peculiar harmonic that I couldn't do again if I tried (it's on the second muted part) and I went to sleep in the outro.

Is it in the ball park?

https://app.box.com/s/1zx7dok1vxsc1guc3lhnmst0l78smb56

Len
Stu's Dad

Full Real Name: Leonard Evans

Postby bor64 » Thu Oct 17, 2019 2:26 pm

Hi Dave,

Glad you received the file in one piece...
Great to read you like the sound and in your opinion it's as close as can be as the original.
On the hi-fi it's has more dynamics, which are a little lost in translation on the digi highway and pc speakers...
It's recorded in one take and kinda "live" recording with the best band as BT possible ;)
As far as I know just afterwards the balance between the BT and guitar was a smidgen altered.
I'm sure this recording wasn't aimed to make a carbon copy of the record because Hank wasn't available :lol:

Hi Len,

This tread is off course about sound as you mentioned, especially the pickups involved.
I know a lot of peeps who dream to have a sound you made in this recording!

Cheers Rob
bor64

Postby bor64 » Thu Oct 17, 2019 2:28 pm

Hi Terry,

The purpose of this file to have a back and forth discussion about what is used, not to wait and hang around to reed what's used and then give a opinion ;)
The thing is I witnessed along the years many prepossessed/biased opinions after the fact was known hence my my subscript below all my messages...
When I write it's a cheap/expensive/run of the mill/hand made/chinees... pickup/guitar/amp/echo some tend to say.... yes exactly what I was thinking etc...
To prevent this and bring back to unbiased opinion in this thread I won't write what was done in detail.

So let all members fire their opinion here., to bring back where this thread and site is intended to be for please ;)

Cheers Rob
bor64

Postby abstamaria » Thu Oct 17, 2019 3:28 pm

That sounded good, Rob.

Andy
abstamaria

Full Real Name: Andres Sta. Maria

Postby bor64 » Thu Oct 17, 2019 3:59 pm

Thanks Andy,

But what's your view on the equipment? Especially the pickups...

Cheers Rob
bor64

Postby dave robinson » Fri Oct 18, 2019 12:54 am

Whatever the pickups or the kit, you have got well and truly into the ball park Rob, it's up there with the best though some may want to disagree as is the way of this site.
But the evidence is there and you only have to compare to hear it's close, so well done. :)
Dave Robinson
dave robinson

Full Real Name: David Robinson

Postby abstamaria » Fri Oct 18, 2019 3:29 am

Haha,Rob. I’m afraid I’m not the right person for that analysis. I think the clip sounds like my Strat with whatever pickups Fender installed on it. (I asked Fender to make a Strat for me to what they believed to be 34346’s specs!) Your clip sounds like my tube (valve) Vox AC30. The echoes are very good, but I can’t tell ftom the recording which box is making them. I find it so much easier to listen live. But, as I said, that version is very, very close to the original.

This reminds me of when I started to play some 15 years ago. A friend gave me a new US reissue Jazzmaster and I bought a Fender Twin Reverb. No matter what I did, I could not sound like Hank Marvin! i wasn’t even close Then I joined this forum. I decided I would try to achieve That Sound by having a guitar, strings, and amp as close to what Hank used then, and one of Charlie Hall’s or TVS’s excellent boxes. I’m pretty happy with the result. Now, if I could play like Hank ...
abstamaria

Full Real Name: Andres Sta. Maria

PreviousNext

Return to How To Get "That Sound"