Effects Loop

For anything to do with guitars, amps, effects units and any other music making accessories

Moderators: David Martin, dave robinson, Iain Purdon, George Geddes

Effects Loop

Postby SandChannel » Mon Jun 29, 2020 3:41 pm

Back in the 60s, amps did not have effects loops. That said, when Hank was using outboard gear, like the rack units, did he opt to use loops on his Vox and Matchless amps? I have a Zoom unit that I run in front of my amps but I don't have an amp with a loop at the moment. My guess is that the Hall's echo patches were made for in front of the amp, but I am no expert. I am wondering if an amp with a loop might be something I should explore. Takk.
Unhindered by talent.
SandChannel

Full Real Name: Michael Foley

Re: Effects Loop

Postby Stu's Dad » Wed Jul 01, 2020 5:59 pm

Look at the forum Charlie Hall & Friends, he's the man behind those echoes himself so I think he'll know.

Keep twanging,

Len
Stu's Dad

Full Real Name: Leonard Evans

Postby SandChannel » Wed Jul 01, 2020 6:00 pm

Will do. Thanks!
Unhindered by talent.
SandChannel

Postby Garystrat » Wed Jul 01, 2020 6:48 pm

The advantage of putting the echo in the loop is having it after the pre-amp, in the case of the Hall’s echo patches I have always found these tend to benefit from this if you have a loop. The most common loop is of the in series type, but one or two amps have parallel loops.

This link explains about the different types and gives advice on use:

https://www.sweetwater.com/insync/use-a ... ects-loop/

Other echo units like the Hall and Collins have pre-amp modelling, the original Meazzi and other similar echo units had either valve or transistor pre-amps, these are best placed in front of the amp.

Regards

Gary
Garystrat

Full Real Name: Gary Willmott

Postby bazmusicman » Wed Jul 01, 2020 7:36 pm

Charlie himself said that the 'Hall and Collins echo' can be used either way, but he said it was designed to go in the front of the amp.

Regards,
Baz.
bazmusicman

Full Real Name: barry palmer

Postby SandChannel » Wed Jul 01, 2020 7:54 pm

My Zoom G3X is loaded with the Hall's Patches. I don't have a loop at the moment and run them in front of my amp, but I noticed that the patches designed for use with headphones or PAs show the amp model in front of the delay units. That made me wonder if I should run the Zoom in a loop as well so that it will sound most it was intended. Of course, I don't know how Hank ran his units either. Early on I guess it was all in front of the amp, but with the rack gear, maybe be used the loops. (?)
Unhindered by talent.
SandChannel

Postby Garystrat » Wed Jul 01, 2020 10:31 pm

There are two types of modelling that come with those patches, they are basically the same but with or without amp modelling, basically it’s a simple question of whether or not you have have an amp or some other type of amp modelling as to which ones you use.

For any advice you can drop an Email to Ross Hall as he is the one who deals with those particular patches, there is also an explanation on this web page.

https://www.hallsecho.com/hall-s-echo-f ... 3-g3x.html

Note: these patches are licensed to an individual and they are not transferable!

Regards

Gary
Garystrat

Full Real Name: Gary Willmott

Postby SandChannel » Thu Jul 02, 2020 2:23 pm

Garystrat wrote:There are two types of modelling that come with those patches, they are basically the same but with or without amp modelling, basically it’s a simple question of whether or not you have have an amp or some other type of amp modelling as to which ones you use.

For any advice you can drop an Email to Ross Hall as he is the one who deals with those particular patches, there is also an explanation on this web page.

https://www.hallsecho.com/hall-s-echo-f ... 3-g3x.html

Note: these patches are licensed to an individual and they are not transferable!

Regards

Gary

Hi Gary. I purchased those patches for my Zoom G3X. There are two sets of patches - one for going direct and one for usage with an amp. I noticed that the ones for going direct had a Vox amp before model the echo units. As a result, it made me question if the second set of patches were designed to be after a the amp as well (meaning in an effects loop). The Hall's Echo site doesn't really address that so I was wondering if anyone in these parts knows.
Unhindered by talent.
SandChannel

Postby bor64 » Fri Jul 03, 2020 2:02 pm

Hank didn't used the loops on the Matchless heads backstage neither for the KCP's.
When he wanted to use the distortion for some parts, he just used a A/B switch on stage and that signal goes to the other amp.

Cheers Rob
"afterwards everyone is clairvoyant"
bor64

Full Real Name: Rob Aartsen

Postby SandChannel » Fri Jul 03, 2020 6:56 pm

bor64 wrote:Hank didn't used the loops on the Matchless heads backstage neither for the KCP's.
When he wanted to use the distortion for some parts, he just used a A/B switch on stage and that signal goes to the other amp.

Cheers Rob

Awesome! Thanks for the info.
Unhindered by talent.
SandChannel

Next

Return to Gear