Zoom G3X

Loads of accumulated experience

Moderators: David Martin, dave robinson, Iain Purdon, George Geddes

Re: Zoom G3X

Postby bob t » Wed Oct 08, 2014 3:05 pm

If I remember correctly didn't Charlie Hall manage to use the second pedal on the G9, which has sideways movement as well as vertical, to simulate the
De Armond sound. I believe it was something to do with the Resonance setting on the pedal
bob t

Full Real Name: Robert Timmins

Postby dave robinson » Sat Oct 11, 2014 7:06 pm

I don't know about the G9 Bob, there was an attempt by Charlie to do something with the G7 but the machine isn't quite geared up for it.
There were some old friends from sixties Shadowsy type bands watching me with the lads on Thursday and after I had played Theme From Shane during the first set, they were eagerly enquiring as to what type of echo I was using as it was in their opinion 'spot on'. The amp setting on the Boogie has a lot to do with it, but playing Shane and then Dance On and Apache later felt and sounded right - and that with the G&L S-500 guitar. :)
Dave Robinson
dave robinson

Full Real Name: David Robinson

Postby dave robinson » Sat Oct 18, 2014 12:46 pm

I've been doing a bit of fine tuning on the few patches I've made with exciting results. I'm going to try them 'live' over the weekend and if I feel there is the desired improvement I'll happily pass them on to whoever wants them. :)
Dave Robinson
dave robinson

Postby Ryan » Tue Oct 21, 2014 10:24 pm

dave robinson wrote:I've been doing a bit of fine tuning on the few patches I've made with exciting results. I'm going to try them 'live' over the weekend and if I feel there is the desired improvement I'll happily pass them on to whoever wants them. :)

Hi Dave,
I hope you are well. Just wondered how you got on with using your new patches over the weekend? Did they meet your expectations live?
I was looking in 1 of the guitarist (i think it was) magazine today, and there was a smaller magazine that came with it, which was showing lots of different foot pedals. It had a few echo units in it, might be interesting for you, or anyone else to have a look at. I might go and fetch it myself tomorrow so i can have a good look at it, any had a quick look today as i was supposed to be doing my shopping :lol:
Cheers
Ryan
Ryan

Postby dave robinson » Tue Oct 21, 2014 11:07 pm

I did use the Zoom G3x with my 'tweaked' patches over the weekend and the sound I was seeking was almost there but I think I can do better, so the machine is here in my room and I'm trying different things and will use it again over the coming gigs on Thursday and Sunday when I am back on 'Hank' duty again as my good friend and understudy Damion is over in SriLanka for a week doing his Cliff bit for Inrdra & Move It.
As for the magazine, I get the on- line versions now so never see the supplements, but I'll have a look when we next do the shopping. I'll keep you posted. :)
Dave Robinson
dave robinson

Postby dave robinson » Sun Dec 28, 2014 3:12 pm

Hi guys, sorry I haven't said much more about those settings lately but I've had other stuff on my mind.

Anyway I got the Zoom in the house today and had a little play around. By adding the graphic EQ to the chain at the end, I got something similar in tone to that fabulous Wonderful Land Demo on another thread. On that graphic there are six sliders, 160hz. 400hz. 800hz. 3.2k. 6.4k. 12k. I put the 160 @ -11, the 400 @ - 3, the 800 @ + 6, the 3.2 @ + 10, the 6.4 @ -2 and the 12 @ -12. It was going through my Vox AC-4 with the CUT rolled back to three O clock and the sound was delightful.

On the echo side, by just adding a little feedback to the first three heads ( 15%) and setting the last head modulation to RATE 21, I could hear a magic that we haven't heard before when playing the tunes. These numbers aren't set in stone and I urge you to experiment, but the sound is closer that it ever was.

I hope these figures are of some help to those who have the patience to experiment. :)
Dave Robinson
dave robinson

Postby dave robinson » Tue Dec 30, 2014 9:21 pm

I just looked at that last post of mine and realised that it perhaps may me a bit complicated for some to comprehend, so I have made the file available to those who may want to try it. It's named Wonderful Land 2 and sounds very close to the tape echo with the Boss EQ demonstrated superbly on another thread. Drop me a message if you want it and I'll post it to you. :)
Dave Robinson
dave robinson

Postby franko » Fri May 22, 2015 9:29 pm

Hi Mr. Dave Robinson, I'm new in this forum and I've also got a Zomm G3.v2
I read on page 1 of this post that you programmed ten patches for playing Shadows:
A0. Apache
A1. Shadoogie
A2. Wonderful Land
A3. Midnight
A4. Man Of Mystery
A5. Slapback
A6. Duane Eddy Twang using tremolo & reverb
A7. Straight just a little compression for rhythm and R & B lead
A8. Chorus
A9. Fuzz for Gary Moore type lead using a little reverb and delay

I would appreciate if you let me know if these patches are made available to download (and how) or sent by email.
Thank you!
Greetings from Italy
franko

Postby dave robinson » Sat May 23, 2015 12:35 am

franko wrote:Hi Mr. Dave Robinson, I'm new in this forum and I've also got a Zomm G3.v2
I read on page 1 of this post that you programmed ten patches for playing Shadows:
A0. Apache
A1. Shadoogie
A2. Wonderful Land
A3. Midnight
A4. Man Of Mystery
A5. Slapback
A6. Duane Eddy Twang using tremolo & reverb
A7. Straight just a little compression for rhythm and R & B lead
A8. Chorus
A9. Fuzz for Gary Moore type lead using a little reverb and delay

I would appreciate if you let me know if these patches are made available to download (and how) or sent by email.
Thank you!

Hi Franko, unfortunately I no longer have my Zoom G3x and consequently have no further use for the patches, since I put my faith in the new Hall & Collins echo from Charlie Hall. However if you want patches for the Zoom that I made, I would have no objection if one of our members here who did have my patches passed them on to you. Alternatively you can buy a full set of patches from Hall's Echoes if you contact Ross Hall. You just have to do a Google search to find him.
Kind regards
Dave. :)
Greetings from Italy
Dave Robinson
dave robinson

Postby alanbakewell » Sat May 23, 2015 7:37 am

Hi Franko. I cannot recommend Ross Hall's patches highly enough. They are the way to go if you already have a Zoom G3 or G3X.

I've used my G3X at the Hankies lately, also giving others an opportunity to try my set up. Without exception everyone who tried my
set up, ( Vox AC15 HW/ G3X with Ross Hall's patches ), loved the sound it produced.

Here's a link.

https://www.hallsecho.com/comparative-value.html

Cheers, Alan.
To know and have known the love of a little dog is a truly wonderful thing.
alanbakewell

Full Real Name: Alan Bakewell

PreviousNext

Return to How To Get "That Sound"