WEM Varispeed IC400

Loads of accumulated experience

Moderators: David Martin, dave robinson, Iain Purdon, George Geddes

WEM Varispeed IC400

Postby doubler » Thu Mar 06, 2014 11:23 am

Hi Everyone

I have just picked up a Wem Varispeed IC400. It looks a bit battered but the guy in the charity shop reckoned it was working. However, I plugged it in and,,,,,,,,,, nothing. I have a feeling the little fuse may be blown(it's worth a try). Does anyone know anything about these little fuses and, where I can get one?

Thanking You in Anticipation

doubler(Roger)
doubler

Re: WEM Varispeed IC400

Postby keithmantle » Thu Mar 06, 2014 11:48 am

Try Maplins, or john@amp-fix.com mobile 07747104703 he's the man for Watkins echoes
Last edited by keithmantle on Thu Mar 06, 2014 11:53 am, edited 1 time in total.
keithmantle

Full Real Name: keith george mantle

Postby anniv 63 » Thu Mar 06, 2014 11:48 am

I always thought Charity Shops had to ensure any electrical goods they sold, were of merchantable quality and electrically
tested for safety and useage.
Hope you get a solution or your money back!!!

Mike
anniv 63

Full Real Name: mj shiach

Postby doubler » Thu Mar 06, 2014 12:13 pm

Thank guys. I will try Maplins. The guy in the charity shop did say if I was not pleased, to take it back but, to be honest, I would like to get it working if I could. It was only a tenner. If it costs another ten or so to fix, I'm happy. I also picked up a D'Armond 610 there a few months ago. It works fine but, dont know if I will be using it much.

Thanks again guys.

doubler(Roger).
doubler

Postby ecca » Thu Mar 06, 2014 1:28 pm

A TENNER FOR A COPICAT ?

Blinkin eck, what a bargain.
ecca

Postby doubler » Thu Mar 06, 2014 1:32 pm

Yes ECCA, a tenner. I did feel guilty because the guy obviously didn't know what it was so, I did go back and donate an old boss volume pedal.

Roger
doubler

Postby Ubique » Thu Mar 06, 2014 4:43 pm

Hi Roger
If you need any Copycat spares try John Beer at Amp Fix, he's the expert on them and a very helpful bloke. Unfortunately he doesn't do repairs anymore but still provides parts.
You got an absolute bargain with the IC-400, probably the most versatile of all the different models due to the variable tape speed. One sold on Ebay a couple of weeks back for 280 quid. Please be aware that if yours still has the two core wiring it needs changing to three core as its dangerous. John Beer would not repair or service a Copycat unless this was part of the agreement.

http://www.amp-fix.com/

Cheers
Neil
Ubique

Full Real Name: Neil Shaw

Postby doubler » Thu Mar 06, 2014 5:16 pm

Hi ubique
Thank you very much for that info. I know that the machine is sought after, especially by Hank fans. I will see if John can help me with the fuse. I do have modern echo/reverb units but, I would love to get this one working, if only for old time's sake. I will keep everyone posted.

Thanks again.

Roger(doubler)
doubler

Return to How To Get "That Sound"