Zoom G3X

Loads of accumulated experience

Moderators: David Martin, dave robinson, Iain Purdon, George Geddes

Re: Zoom G3X

Postby ecca » Thu Sep 25, 2014 8:55 pm

I've got an EF86 pre-amp now in a valve eTap.... which is sounding the business............
ecca

Postby Ryan » Thu Sep 25, 2014 8:56 pm

dave robinson wrote:What I did find today was that my Wonderful Land patch on the Zoom needed the first three heads turning up louder to match the ESE & Etap sound.
Anybody who's got those patches from me and wants the same, I'll happily send the updated file. :)

Hi Dave,
Any chance you'd be able to send me your update please?
I'm starting to get my head around this pedal now and am enjoying playing along to my backing tracks, with your patches.
Cheers
Ryan
Ryan

Postby dave robinson » Fri Sep 26, 2014 1:44 am

Ryan wrote:
dave robinson wrote:What I did find today was that my Wonderful Land patch on the Zoom needed the first three heads turning up louder to match the ESE & Etap sound.
Anybody who's got those patches from me and wants the same, I'll happily send the updated file. :)

Hi Dave,
Any chance you'd be able to send me your update please?
I'm starting to get my head around this pedal now and am enjoying playing along to my backing tracks, with your patches.
Cheers
Ryan

Give me a couple of days to get it loaded onto my computer and I'll send it Ryan. I've had my mum rushed into hospital and I've got my own hospital appointment too so it's a bit hectic at the moment. :)
Dave Robinson
dave robinson

Full Real Name: David Robinson

Postby dave robinson » Fri Sep 26, 2014 9:57 am

It has occured to me that when I was recording yesterday that the tweaks that I gave the Wonderful Land echo were perfect for the recording, but did sound 'wetter' than I like for a live performnce when the same patch was used for the same number last night at the gig. It sounded terrific playing it live, but It was very lively (if you know what I mean) and had the room been of the echoy type, it would have sounded dreadful. As it is, the sound in The Butchers Arms is quite dry, so it didn't pose a problem. I'm toying with the idea of making extra patches to compensate for varying conditions as I use the unit more around different venues, after all with a real tape echo machine you would use the echo volume knob to get the balance right according to how it reacted in any given room or hall.

The reason I am saying this is that I am always listening to others play and often hear an over-kill with echo volume which spoils the performance. It's most often with the EFTP based gear, but that's not Charlie's fault, it's generally that the user rigidly sticks to the list that accompanies the EFTP machine and doesn't realise that another patch would possibly be a better choice for the room they are playing in EG the Wonderful Land echo on my Quad could possibly have been No 3,but the same echo with slightly less echo volume could have been the one before at No 2, which in a wetter sounding room may have worked better. :idea:
Dave Robinson
dave robinson

Postby Ryan » Sat Sep 27, 2014 6:47 pm

dave robinson wrote:
Give me a couple of days to get it loaded onto my computer and I'll send it Ryan. I've had my mum rushed into hospital and I've got my own hospital appointment too so it's a bit hectic at the moment. :)

Hi Dave,
i've just got your new patch, will put it on the G3X tomorrow and have a play around, Thanks for sending it, much appreciated 8-)
I'm gonna try making a patch for 'Shindig' tomorrow, do you think i'd be better off starting with the Tape Echo or the Mod Echo?
Hope your mom gets well soon and your hospital appointments go well too
Cheers
Ryan
Ryan

Postby dave robinson » Sat Sep 27, 2014 7:09 pm

Hi Ryan, just have a look at mine and choose the same ones. All the timings are there, they are never different to those, the difference between the sounds for each tune is down to the echo volume, individual head volumes and feedback volume - and of course the correct pattern. Wonderful Land, Kon Tiki, Savage, Shadoogie, Theme For young Lovers etc are the same pattern. Apache, MOM, FBI, Frightened City and all the very early tunes before mid '61 are all that same pattern- or from that machine. (as is Midnight).
You'll see the timings and you need to write them down for each one, then you can experiment on an empty patch. :idea:
Dave Robinson
dave robinson

Postby Ryan » Sat Sep 27, 2014 7:40 pm

dave robinson wrote:Hi Ryan, just have a look at mine and choose the same ones. All the timings are there, they are never different to those, the difference between the sounds for each tune is down to the echo volume, individual head volumes and feedback volume - and of course the correct pattern. Wonderful Land, Kon Tiki, Savage, Shadoogie, Theme For young Lovers etc are the same pattern. Apache, MOM, FBI, Frightened City and all the very early tunes before mid '61 are all that same pattern- or from that machine. (as is Midnight).
You'll see the timings and you need to write them down for each one, then you can experiment on an empty patch. :idea:

I've found the feedback volume. When you say Echo Volume, do you mean MIX or LEVEL? Also Individual head volumes, is it the HIDMP? If not, which 1 is it?
I've already written them down, so i could get used to how you were doing them. Sorry to be a pain with this, just trying to understand what the things mean so i can get the best out of this machine.
Cheers
Ryan
Ryan

Postby dave robinson » Sat Sep 27, 2014 9:02 pm

Yes it's the MIX I'm referring to for echo volume. Don't touch the other one, I didn't. :)
Dave Robinson
dave robinson

Postby Ryan » Sat Sep 27, 2014 9:33 pm

Cheers for that, i'll have a play about with it some more and see what i come up with.
Ryan
Ryan

Postby dave robinson » Sat Sep 27, 2014 10:00 pm

I don't know what HDMP is so I'd leave that alone. Did you know you can move patches around and edit them in another location, leaving the original where it is untouched ?. :)
Dave Robinson
dave robinson

PreviousNext

Return to How To Get "That Sound"