Some observations from a relatively new player

Loads of accumulated experience

Moderators: David Martin, dave robinson, Iain Purdon, George Geddes

Re: Some observations from a relatively new player

Postby dave robinson » Sat Sep 06, 2014 2:53 pm

Hi Rosemary, I haven't had any experience with the Squier Bullet Strat, but if set up correctly it should do the job and give the Fender tone we all recognise. You can't damage the guitar by making necessary adjustments to the bridge to allow the trem to 'float', so go ahead and loosen the springs a few turns and it will make a world of difference to you pleasure.
Dave Robinson
dave robinson

Full Real Name: David Robinson

Postby David Martin » Wed Sep 10, 2014 9:56 am

Hi Rosemary!

I'm delighted to see what has blossomed from our initial "concert" contact... You're doing so well!

The Burns sound? Here are some tips - but bear in mind that there are always notable exceptions...

1) If you have an effects unit, make a Burns patch... And use the following recipe (you can do it on your amp instead if you have the controls...

2) Tone: middle right off, bass right up, treble till the bridge pickup bites you (example, Atlantis)

3) Don't use echo, use a little reverb, but not much.

4) Add some compression - again, not much.

5) Use mainly the neck pickup, or sometimes, neck and middle. (Notable exception Chattanooga ... Which has echo too! )

6) A quick check? Using the neck pickup, play the opening phrase to It's Been a Blue Day and amend your settings accordingly.

7) You don't need a Burns Marvin to get the sound, but the aluminium hardware on the Burns bridge/trem does make a difference in comparison to the Strat steel...

Let me know how you get on...
David M
David Martin
Site Admin

Full Real Name: David Martin

Postby Rosemary » Fri Sep 12, 2014 12:03 am

Hi Dave and David
Dave, Thanks. Unfortunately I ran out of time to do too much when away but adjusted the trem slightly on the Squier and will try to set it up better next visit. I'm currently getting my USA Strat here set up professionally for the first time and am looking forward to hearing how it plays next week.

David, Thanks very much for those Burns settings. Recently I started playing around with editing the sounds on my Zoom unit so have a spare patch just waiting to go and will try your settings very soon and am very excited about this. I play a couple of Burns songs that I'd love to try out. Thanks again!

Best wishes
Rosemary
Rosemary

Full Real Name: Rosemary Beattie

Previous

Return to How To Get "That Sound"