I have found the best Delay unit so far!

Loads of accumulated experience

Moderators: David Martin, dave robinson, Iain Purdon, George Geddes

I have found the best Delay unit so far!

Postby Long tall Wolfie » Fri Sep 11, 2015 4:29 pm

I have played Shadows tunes since the late 60's and in the early 80's I had a very successful Shadows cover band in Switzerland. However, when EMI offered us a record contract, we composed and recorded our own guitar tunes. I even met Hank Marvin during a TV shoot in Germany and spent some (at least for me) precious time talking to him at length. He was my idol! After all, I learned to play guitar with his music. But back to the actual reason why I'm writing this message.

I've had many echo / delay units in my long career, but a few months ago, I found a unit that can actually produce the type of delay you need for the intro of "Atlantis", or the muted sections in "Wonderful Land" or "Peace Pipe". The unit is the "El Capistan" by Strymon. While Hank has changed his delay units a number of times, this is the closest to perfect I've ever come in reproducing most of Hank's guitar sounds. Here is the link to the manufacturer's website: http://www.strymon.net/products/elcapistan/

Besides the usual knobs for Time, Mix, Repeats, etc., there are also two little switches, one for the Tape Head setting and one for Mode. For the "Atlantis" intro type of echo, or the muted part in "Peace Pipe", I set the Tape head to "Multi", and the Mode to "B", then I turn the Time knob to a fast speed, matching the original sound from the record. For something like "Apache", Shadoogie" or "Kon-Tiki" I set the Head to Fixed and leave the Mode on B. If you're serious about playing Shadows tunes, you should give this unit a try! No, I'm not getting anything out of this 'promotion', I just want to give younger players a head start in getting a good echo unit.
Long tall Wolfie

Re: I have found the best Delay unit so far!

Postby George Geddes » Fri Sep 11, 2015 8:09 pm

I think Hans van Eyck was using one of these at the 2014 Pipeline Convention, and he had a really good sound...

George
George Geddes

Full Real Name: George Geddes

Postby David Martin » Fri Sep 11, 2015 9:21 pm

Checked out the website Wolfgang, but can't see how this machine can emulate a multiple head machine with unequally spaced heads (Meazzi or Vox) as used by Hank in the early sixties. eTAPhw2 machines, and Hall & Collins machines can both do this. And they both seek to replicate the Meazzi valve pre-amp too...

Have you tried them?

D
David M
David Martin
Site Admin

Full Real Name: David Martin

Postby Graylion » Fri Nov 13, 2015 2:59 am

Crikey! The eTap2HW looks very neat and versatile and it's pretty cheap too! Does it really live up to its hype? It looks like one to add to my collection - even though it doesn't have any of those glowy light bulbs inside! ;)
Graylion

Postby Graylion » Fri Nov 13, 2015 3:00 am

PS. Forgot to say - it's also MUCH cheaper than the El Capistan!
Graylion

Postby Twang46 » Fri Nov 13, 2015 8:18 pm

Look here for more info Wolfgang

http://www.stanleyfx.co.uk/pedals5.html

Dick.
Twang46

Full Real Name: Dick Cruddas

Postby Gruntfuttock » Sat Nov 14, 2015 3:23 am

I would suggest trying the Hall & Collins Signature Echo unit. You won't be disappointed!
Regards Dave
Gruntfuttock

Full Real Name: David Michael Redknap

Postby Graylion » Sun Nov 15, 2015 11:38 pm

Any chance of someone replying to my question about how good the eTap is? Obviously the first place I looked was on their website! The Hall & Collins unit eh? Um.. did you compare the prices? The H&K is £599!!! eTap experiences anyone? I have to ask because it sounds a bit too good (CHEAP!) to be true.
Graylion

Postby dave robinson » Mon Nov 16, 2015 3:31 am

I have an Etap and ended up buying the Hall and Collins. That said, my ESE Echomatic sounds better than each of those. :|
Dave Robinson
dave robinson

Full Real Name: David Robinson

Postby Allclaphands » Mon Nov 16, 2015 10:34 am

Graylion wrote:Any chance of someone replying to my question about how good the eTap is? Obviously the first place I looked was on their website! The Hall & Collins unit eh? Um.. did you compare the prices? The H&K is £599!!! eTap experiences anyone? I have to ask because it sounds a bit too good (CHEAP!) to be true.

The ETap units are costed at there right value (not Cheap) where as the HCSE is costed at its worth (not Cheap)
The ETap units have been developed over time by dedicated people to create great echo units, this development
Is still on going with the latest Blue Nebula and the Baby Blue units.The saying is you pay your money and you take
your chances after all that's what choice is all about in life with everything it's not how some one else sees things
it's how you see it and what you want it's your money that your spending.YES you would like unbiased opinions to
help make a choice but can this be guaranteed is someone prepared to say that they spent a lot of money on a unit
and it's worse or no better than another unit which is deemed as being Cheaper.GOOD LUCK in your search for the
right unit to suit your requirements.

Pete
Some people like to ROCK, Some people like to ROLL, What do YOU like to do?
Allclaphands

Full Real Name: Peter Bryan

Next

Return to How To Get "That Sound"