I have found the best Delay unit so far!

Loads of accumulated experience

Moderators: David Martin, dave robinson, Iain Purdon, George Geddes

Re: I have found the best Delay unit so far!

Postby keithmantle » Wed Nov 25, 2015 3:58 pm

ErikMAMS wrote:
keithmantle wrote:Hi Erik, I recently sold my Meazzi Factotum along with original spool of BASF audio and a spool of Agfa PEM 468, the Agfa was the nearest to the original spec audio tape I could find and it worked perfectly,you may find some on eBay, as I did, good luck.

Thanks Keith

I have an assortement of different tape brands/types and I've tested intensively how they behave on my Meazzi.
Out of curiousity I was interested in Dave's tests and findings.

I wonder how you recon the PEM 468 is nearest to "the original specs audio tape" - which are?

Erik
hi Erik, it's been a couple years back but i researched online for durability, type of coating,magnetic and backing and the conclusion was the Agfa ,but it may not be readily available I paid £25 for a spool that would have lasted a very long time.
keithmantle

Full Real Name: keith george mantle

Postby Graylion » Wed Nov 25, 2015 6:27 pm

Thanks David - I reckon I can't go wrong at that price! All I need now is to get my hearing back to a semblance of normal! I've had to use two hearing aids for the last 2 or 3 years but have had endless trouble with ear infections for over a year! Currently stone deaf in the left ear whilst it has medicinal gunge in it! No stereo hearing for me so any subtleties in echo units - or anything else audio - is not detectable at the moment. I need a much louder amp! :D
Graylion

Postby speakerguru » Fri Dec 23, 2016 4:18 am

I have had numerous units, including original Watkins Copycat, Alesis Q20, Q2 but without doubt the best I have now is TVS3 from Australia. Expensive YES but blows away anything I have heard to date.
speakerguru

Postby shadowtonio » Wed Dec 28, 2016 6:30 pm

hello,

here a link for a very nice echo,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,

http://dawnerprince.com/products/boonar

cheers, tonio :D
shadowtonio

Full Real Name: Tonio Kooijman

Postby dave robinson » Wed Dec 28, 2016 11:51 pm

shadowtonio wrote:hello,

here a link for a very nice echo,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,

http://dawnerprince.com/products/boonar

cheers, tonio :D

Looks an interesting piece of kit, similar to the excellent but much less expensive Catalinbread Echorec.
Dave Robinson
dave robinson

Full Real Name: David Robinson

Postby nivramarvin » Mon Oct 30, 2017 7:59 pm

Boonar_multi-head_drum_echo_side2.jpg
(26.69 KiB) Downloaded 12916 times
Bought it today. Very nice.
nivramarvin

Full Real Name: Wolfgang Hefele

Postby ecca » Wed Nov 01, 2017 8:05 am

I'm currently building a 2 valve eTap2hw echo unit using a new pre-amp with pentodes a la Vox AC 15. They're ( 6J1) wired as triodes and are a great sound. This also uses a novel way of generating the 170 volts HT using an inverter.
I also am encasing it in a magnificent wooden enclosure. ( I'm bored with aluminium boxes )
Also , in my book, the echo is just one link in the chain and shouldn't be over-emphasised, as long as the echoes are correct.
Having many years ago established a decent way of producing these correct Eccamatic echo units thanks to the pioneering work of Piet Verbruggen, I'm happy to leave it at that without the complication of presets these days.
The whole thing comes down to money.
I f you've found the 'best' one then stick with it.
Just my thoughts.
Have a good day.
Ecca
ecca

Postby KurtFroberg » Wed Nov 01, 2017 4:15 pm

nivramarvin wrote:

Here is a quite good demo of the Boonar echo without(!) distorted guitar...

KurtFroberg

Full Real Name: Kurt Fröberg

Postby Didier » Thu Nov 02, 2017 9:48 am

nivramarvin wrote:

This unit, just like the Catalinbread Echorec, is aimed at emulating the sound of the Binson units, not the Meazzi...

Didier
Didier

Full Real Name: Didier Parot

Postby dave robinson » Thu Nov 02, 2017 12:57 pm

A few months ago I saw a Klemt Echolette on ebay and picked it up from a guy in London.
It doesn't have quite the exact echo taps to copy the Meazzi, but it's close on the Wonderful Land pattern and the Apache one is reasonable, but the main thing that over rides the digital boxes is the sound of these mechanical machines. I don't know what it is but they sound amazing and when punters come and tell you how good it sounds, you have to consider that there's something special in there. One advantage of the Echolette is the fact that you can alter the head volumes individually, which is part of The Shadows sound. Charlie's machine does a good impression of the Echolette, but something is missing compared to the real thing, as with all of the sounds on all of the digital units. I can't begin to describe what it is, just a magic aura that sits behind the sound and makes the hairs on the neck stand up.
The Booner sounds terrific as a Binson clone, just as the Catalinbread does, but the magic of the mechanical machine is once again elusive. That said, unless you had one of each to compare side by side, I doubt anyone would guess which was which. :)
Dave Robinson
dave robinson

Full Real Name: David Robinson

PreviousNext

Return to How To Get "That Sound"