How essential is the Vibrato (Trem) ?

Loads of accumulated experience

Moderators: David Martin, dave robinson, Iain Purdon, George Geddes

Re: How essential is the Vibrato (Trem) ?

Postby nivramarvin » Thu Sep 14, 2017 8:47 pm

The whammy bar is essential in those songs that use empty strings, when finger vibrato is not possible, for instance "theme for young lovers".
nivramarvin

Full Real Name: Wolfgang Hefele

Postby dave robinson » Thu Sep 14, 2017 9:05 pm

It all depends on who's hands it's in. Some people make the guitar sing using the trem, sadly others don't. ;)
Dave Robinson
dave robinson

Full Real Name: David Robinson

Postby Uncle Fiesta » Sat Sep 16, 2017 3:53 pm

This is unfortunately true. All that's required is a subtle, tasteful wiggle while remembering to move the arm the same distance up and down to prevent the note sounding sharp or flat. If done correctly, a gentle shimmer results, if not the effect sounds more like musical murder!

I know someone (he doesn't post on here) who is able to play permanently out of tune, by grabbing the arm like a weapon and yanking it violently upward after every note. (You can't tell him, of course.)
Uncle Fiesta

Full Real Name: Steve Tebble

Postby Vincent » Sun Sep 17, 2017 10:53 am

Uncle Fiesta wrote:This is unfortunately true. All that's required is a subtle, tasteful wiggle while remembering to move the arm the same distance up and down to prevent the note sounding sharp or flat. If done correctly, a gentle shimmer results, if not the effect sounds more like musical murder!

I know someone (he doesn't post on here) who is able to play permanently out of tune, by grabbing the arm like a weapon and yanking it violently upward after every note. (You can't tell him, of course.)

If it's set up properly you should never need to pull it back in place. Many styles don't require it at all. Eric Clapton blocked the tremolo on his Strat. The stuff he does relies on finger technique. Most Les Pauls don't have one fitted or telecasters.
Vincent

Full Real Name: vincent ludovico

Postby nivramarvin » Sun Sep 17, 2017 1:40 pm

Also on double stops finger vibrato is not possible - for me anyway.
nivramarvin

Full Real Name: Wolfgang Hefele

Postby Tigerdaisy » Sun Sep 17, 2017 4:26 pm

I very rarely like the effect of the trem arm as currently used (over used in my view) by HBM, although I thought its use in the early days was great. Just my opinion...
Last edited by Tigerdaisy on Mon Sep 18, 2017 7:54 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Tigerdaisy

Full Real Name: Martin Kay

Postby dave robinson » Sun Sep 17, 2017 8:12 pm

Vincent wrote:
nivramarvin wrote:Also on double stops finger vibrato is not possible - for me anyway.

It's very good for sounding like a cat! -like the one in the photo...and not forgetting Jimi Hendrix :thumbup:

I look forward to hearing some of your sound files if you would care to post some, so that we all may admire your expertise in this field. :)
Dave Robinson
dave robinson

Postby dave robinson » Sun Sep 17, 2017 8:19 pm

Tigerdaisy wrote:I very rarely like the effect of the trem arm as currently used (over used in my view) by HBM, although I thought its use in the early days was great, i.e. it was used occasionally instead of all the time to greater effect, a bit like the revolving Leslie speaker on a Hammond which sounds awful if used all the time (reminds me of seedy old men wearing brilliantine on their hair in old fashioned ballrooms) instead of occasionally for a crescendo effect.
The trem often sounds 'slouchy/careless' when used to bend notes in many unfortunate circumstances- I much prefer the the old days when it was used more as an occasional aggressive effect rather than the constant current tired old warble. The good use of a trem is a subtle and acquired art and it doesn't always sound that good...IMO.
My view is that the Shadows were much better in the very early days and that HBMs use of his Strat was much fresher and vital compared to today where the Shadows aren't as 'cool' as they originally were.

I'm sure that Hank will be grateful for such knowledgable criticism and will bear it in mind when he records his next album.
Perhaps you too would like to back your opinions with sound files to demonstrate how it should be done ? - but probably not. :|
Dave Robinson
dave robinson

Postby Tigerdaisy » Mon Sep 18, 2017 7:57 pm

dave robinson wrote:
Tigerdaisy wrote:I very rarely like the effect of the trem arm as currently used (over used in my view) by HBM, although I thought its use in the early days was great, i.e. it was used occasionally instead of all the time to greater effect, a bit like the revolving Leslie speaker on a Hammond which sounds awful if used all the time (reminds me of seedy old men wearing brilliantine on their hair in old fashioned ballrooms) instead of occasionally for a crescendo effect.
The trem often sounds 'slouchy/careless' when used to bend notes in many unfortunate circumstances- I much prefer the the old days when it was used more as an occasional aggressive effect rather than the constant current tired old warble. The good use of a trem is a subtle and acquired art and it doesn't always sound that good...IMO.
My view is that the Shadows were much better in the very early days and that HBMs use of his Strat was much fresher and vital compared to today where the Shadows aren't as 'cool' as they originally were.

I'm sure that Hank will be grateful for such knowledgable criticism and will bear it in mind when he records his next album.
Perhaps you too would like to back your opinions with sound files to demonstrate how it should be done ? - but probably not. :|

It's just my opinion and I don't need to be a guitarist to hold an opinion.
Tigerdaisy

Full Real Name: Martin Kay

Postby dave robinson » Tue Sep 19, 2017 8:04 am

OK you have an opinion, but is it valid ?
The question is " How essential is the Vibrato (Trem)!
If we are assuming this is for the music of The Shadows, it's like asking "How essential are the guitar strings "
The magic of Hank's sound is based on his expert use of the Vibrato (Trem) which back in the day was the head turner.
Sadly, 90% of people that use the same effect lack the same feeling, which is possibly why this question came about.
Without Hank's use of it there would be no discussion. Without it, the magic is absent.
Dave Robinson
dave robinson

Next

Return to How To Get "That Sound"