Moderators: David Martin, dave robinson, Iain Purdon, George Geddes

Re: Strings

Postby panchodiaz » Sun Mar 27, 2011 2:24 am

panchodiaz

Full Real Name: Francisco Diaz Paniagua

Postby Martyn » Mon May 09, 2011 9:19 am

bor64 wrote:On 11 of my strats ......

:shock: Eleven? Good grief - how many are there in total? How on earth do you decide which to use for which tunes - I think I'd be totally bewildered by so many options :? , but seriously - if you had to choose two to keep if the rest had to go, which would you save and why?

Similarly, for Shads tunes do you have any favourites that you feel give the most authentic sound for any given period of their music? Just curious.

Regards,
Martyn
Martyn

Full Real Name: Martyn Welch

Postby bor64 » Sat May 14, 2011 11:39 pm

Martyn,

In total i have 33 guitars at the moment,but who knows ;)
I just grab the same guitar ,as used on the original tune,because i can ;) :mrgreen: sorry ....
When i use the same stuff, as Hank used on the record..... that part is covered,i only get stuck by the lack of talent on my part and Hanks incredible playing ...that gap will be there always!
A late friend of mine told me...when u have a good sound ,the first half is won..... a good playing technique is the other half and that needs talent instead of the money you spent on the first part........
Well the one with the best " that "sound is my original 58 strat in f red, i did hold the 34346 a few times and played Apache on it ...without an amp, but when i got home, i just grabed my old faithfull (the guitar not the wife :lol: )it didnt feel any different......
You can hear my 58 on the left channel and the shads on the right side http://www.4shared.com/audio/cFrShHxq/h ... 21mod.html
When i have to choose two,. i will keep the 58 and the 40th anniversay strat,because they are the most used by me.....
"afterwards everyone is clairvoyant"
bor64

Full Real Name: Rob Aartsen

Postby Geoff Alderton LH » Fri Jun 10, 2011 11:13 am

Hi all.
Does anyone on the site use Fender strings on their Fender Strats?
I recently put a set of Fender Nickelplated Super Bullets 10 to 52's on my Strat. I replaced the plain G with a wound 24 Super Bullet which now gives me a
10p 13p 24w 32w 42w 52w set.
The results are quite promising and better still I can handle the wound 24G better than the plain 17G.
Regards Geoff.
Geoff Alderton LH

Postby roger bayliss » Fri Jun 10, 2011 5:51 pm

I used the Fender Nickel wound 11s bullets for several years but took to playing on 12s a few years back and could not get the 12's readily so went to DR and more recently John Pearce. Fender are well priced and a good string though !
American Pro Series Strat 2017, G&L S500 Natural Ash
roger bayliss

Full Real Name: Roger Bayliss

Postby Bluesnote » Fri Jun 10, 2011 8:43 pm

In my rock days, I normally used Gibson 9's all the time when I was gigging, so I fancied a change and put on Fender 9's. They did'nt last near the lenth of time the Gibsons did and the intonation dropped off far sooner too, I also found the tone inferior as well. I never ever used them again. I cant say anything about the heavier 12's and 13's though :think: not tried them, I've tried loads of different string manufacturers over the years but I always go back with the Gibsons.
I put a Dean Markley jazz set on my guitar three weeks ago. 12-54 guage. They sound great on my Squier Bullet, lovely and warm but hellish on the fingers, and a lot of fretboard noise off of them too :evil: but they still sound as good concidering I've done a lot of playing them in the last few weeks.
Bluesnote

Previous

Return to How To Get "That Sound"