Strings

Loads of accumulated experience

Moderators: David Martin, dave robinson, Iain Purdon, George Geddes

Strings

Postby TributeShadow » Fri Jan 08, 2010 6:25 pm

I don´t know if this is correct but I have heard that Hank used heavy strings on the early 60´s recordings. 0,014-0,056 , could that have any impact on "that sound"?

Regards,
Patrik
TributeShadow

Re: Strings

Postby chas » Sat Jan 09, 2010 6:58 pm

I think Strats came with 12's (?) as standard in those days - whether Hank used anything as heavy as 14's I don't know, but it does affect the sound. Thin strings do sound 'thin' - heavier strings have more tone/body.
Chas.
chas

Full Real Name: Chas de Lacy

Postby MeBHank » Sat Jan 09, 2010 10:38 pm

Standard string gauges back then were 0.013" to 0.056. Maurice Woodcroft has, in the past, posted a scan of a letter he received from Hank a few years ago, in which Hank confirmed those gauges.

HTH...

J
Justin Daish
MeBHank

Full Real Name: Justin Daish

Postby roger bayliss » Sat Jan 09, 2010 10:55 pm

Just to add to that... the strings were nearly always pure nickel wire wraps then as well and it's reputed that Hank used Gibson Sonomatics which give a full thick jazzy sort of tone
American Pro Series Strat 2017, G&L S500 Natural Ash
roger bayliss

Full Real Name: Roger Bayliss

Postby MeBHank » Sun Jan 10, 2010 12:18 am

roger bayliss wrote:Just to add to that... the strings were nearly always pure nickel wire wraps then as well and it's reputed that Hank used Gibson Sonomatics which give a full thick jazzy sort of tone

Good point, Roger. The best sounding strings I have ever used are the pure nickel Golden Sixties sets as sold by Leo's Den, but I found they broke easily. Newtones run a very close second with better life and they rarely break, but not quite as good a tone as Golden Sixties. I use D'Addarios currently for the old sounds as they are more readily available, have a good tone and last fairly well.

J
Justin Daish
MeBHank

Full Real Name: Justin Daish

Postby Bojan » Sun Jan 10, 2010 3:06 am

I have been using 12-56 Gibson Sonomatics, today known as L-5 (they differ slightly in gauge from the early Sonomatics, but they are definitely the same string) for the past four, five years. The last set I put on was about eight months ago, and they still sound great, and I've been trying to get at least one of the strings to break to give me an excuse to put on a new set, but they just won't break. I don't gig, but I play more or less every day for at least an hour. I actually like the sound of the strings that have been played and are not new. They sound hollower, less trebly and less twangy.
Last edited by Bojan on Mon Jan 11, 2010 6:26 am, edited 1 time in total.
Bojan

Full Real Name: Bojan Drndic

Postby roger bayliss » Sun Jan 10, 2010 3:14 pm

I just ordered 3 sets of DR pure blues 12 - 54's which are pure nickel . I like my strings when they have been on a while as well Bojan and if they sound great why change em. I have tried the L5's as well and really like the tone.
roger bayliss

Postby Bojan » Mon Jan 11, 2010 6:30 am

I have used DR's. They are excellent, and they have lower tension, which a lot of people prefer. The Gibsons are also pure nickel round-wounds.
Bojan

Postby roger bayliss » Mon Jan 11, 2010 4:34 pm

Yes Bojan I noticed the extra tension in the L5's when I used them I think they were intended to be that way and they do not bend so easyily either... I dunno how young Hank used to bend 13's phew ! :D
roger bayliss

Postby Bojan » Mon Jan 11, 2010 5:40 pm

roger bayliss wrote:Yes Bojan I noticed the extra tension in the L5's when I used them I think they were intended to be that way and they do not bend so easyily either... I dunno how young Hank used to bend 13's phew ! :D

I don't think he bent them at all; I think he relied much more on the tremolo. Take for example the intro for The Frightened City or for Apache. Those "bends" are achieved very effectively with the trem arm (provided it "floats"). Because the strings were so hard and tight and unbendable Hank developed his tremolo technique in the first place. And when you remember how Hank really whacked those strings, like in The Savage, they had to have a higher tension to resist the plectrum and produce the desired effect. I guess the same case is with Dick Dale, who used even heavier strings. Heavy strings definitely have their advantages after you get used to them. They have a fuller sound and better sustain and they almost never get out of tune. When you play the .56 low E string, it sounds like a piano!!! :o
Bojan

Next

Return to How To Get "That Sound"