Strings

Loads of accumulated experience

Moderators: David Martin, dave robinson, Iain Purdon, George Geddes

Re: Strings

Postby JimN » Tue May 25, 2010 12:02 pm

Geoff Alderton LH wrote:Yesterday I found ten sets of Roto Blues, 10 to 52s in the back of the string drawer.... Do we have any Roto Blues users on the site?

I have Roto Purples (12-52 with a 0.026" third string) on one guitar, but that is a short-scale Squier Jagmaster which needs heavier strings in order to maintain tuning stability. I don't think I'd use a set with the "Roto Blues" gauges (10-52), mainly because the top three strings are out of a lighter set than the lower three. I prefer to keep the tension balanced across the neck. Having said that, I do have a couple of sets of "light top heavy bottom" strings lying around - I'm not sure where they all came from (I certainly didn't buy them), but I'll probably cannibalise them for use as single spares.

One set I have grown to like is the Ernie Ball nickel set 11-52 with a 0.024" wound third. A good compromise between lightness and balance. At one time, I wouldn't have touched EB strings - and I probably still wouldn't except for that particular set, which sounds good on a Strat.

JN
JimN

Full Real Name: Jim Nugent

Postby panchodiaz » Tue May 25, 2010 12:57 pm

Jim,

¿Do you remember our chat at the bar in Tilburg? You told me that the Golden Sixties strings brand was only one of many brands selling the same strings made in the same factory. I always wanted to ask you for the other brands and where I could buy them.

By the way, I hope you will be recovered of your sciatica.
panchodiaz

Full Real Name: Francisco Diaz Paniagua

Postby JimN » Tue May 25, 2010 1:53 pm

Hey, Pancho!

I'd need to see the packaging of a set of "Golden Sixties" strings before being able to make an informed guess as to the factory which makes them. "Golden Sixties" certainly don't have their own factory under that name - we'd all be more aware of them if they did. According to information I've had from contacts in the USA, there are fewer than 10 makers of guitar strings in America (with some Fender strings actually being "assembled" in Mexico).

As further examples, I know of only two large string producers in the UK (Rotosound and General Music Strings/Picato), with Newtone challenging. There are several around the rest of Europe, some of them very well thought of, but once you move out of Europe and the USA, it's probably Japan or China. The Asian factory which makes "Encore" brand strings (very cheap and easily available here) supplies the same product to various wholesalers and retailers under a wide variety of brands.

I expect (without having seen the packaging up close) that Golden Sixties strings are made in the USA...

Best wishes,

JimN (who is recovering)
JimN

Postby Geoff Alderton LH » Tue May 25, 2010 2:26 pm

Hi Jim. I do get your point regarding the light top heavy bottom and I am a fan of the wound third. The blues have a plain 17 third so I am thinking that a wound 20 or 22 third will improve the set. There were also four pkts of RotoSound wound 18s (twenty single strings) in the back of the string drawer so at some stage in the past I must have intended to change the plain 17 for the round wound 18.obviously not heavy enough. Still on the subject of strings there were also six sets of Mustang vintage nickel 11 to 50 these also have a plain third 18. If anyone wants a free set of these please send your address to my message box, first come first served.
Cant wait for friday and hope the strings fitted will give me what I want.
Regards Geoff.
Geoff Alderton LH

Postby MeBHank » Tue May 25, 2010 4:47 pm

JimN wrote:Hey, Pancho!

I'd need to see the packaging of a set of "Golden Sixties" strings before being able to make an informed guess as to the factory which makes them. "Golden Sixties" certainly don't have their own factory under that name - we'd all be more aware of them if they did. According to information I've had from contacts in the USA, there are fewer than 10 makers of guitar strings in America (with some Fender strings actually being "assembled" in Mexico).

As further examples, I know of only two large string producers in the UK (Rotosound and General Music Strings/Picato), with Newtone challenging. There are several around the rest of Europe, some of them very well thought of, but once you move out of Europe and the USA, it's probably Japan or China. The Asian factory which makes "Encore" brand strings (very cheap and easily available here) supplies the same product to various wholesalers and retailers under a wide variety of brands.

I expect (without having seen the packaging up close) that Golden Sixties strings are made in the USA...

Best wishes,

JimN (who is recovering)

I may be wrong, Jim, but I believe that Golden Sixties strings are made in Germany.

J
Justin Daish
MeBHank

Full Real Name: Justin Daish

Postby JimN » Tue May 25, 2010 5:31 pm

MeBHank wrote:I may be wrong, Jim, but I believe that Golden Sixties strings are made in Germany.
J

If so, that's a good sign, Justin.

The German stringmaker who produces Pyramid brand strings (also producing OEM for Rickenbacker and Hofner) has a well-deserved reputation - even if their own-brand Pyramid strings cost an arm and a leg...

Germany has long produced high-quality components (including strings) for guitars from otrher countries, including the USA. The tailpieces used on some Hofner guitars were also used on USA-built Harmony instruments, the original Gibson tuneomatic bridges were German-made and the "Fender" branded tuners used on all the Californian makers' guitars between about 1968 and 1980(ish) were made by Schaller (whose own brand of tuner is highly-regarded).

JN
JimN

Postby Geoff Alderton LH » Fri Jun 04, 2010 8:44 am

Hi all. I picked up the guitars after their MOT re strung and setup with Roto Blues 10-52, G string replaced with a wound 18. I find the 10's far more comfortable than the 12's but I still need a heavier G. The 18 fitted sounds quite dull. I have sent off to the States for some Curt Mangan pure nickel 10- 52's set's plus some single wound 20's to replace the plain 17 in their set's. The reason for getting them direct from Curt Mangan in the States is the price. Just over half the UK price from the Sates inc the postage.
Regards Geoff.
Geoff Alderton LH

Postby eugene » Tue Oct 19, 2010 10:16 am

chas wrote:I think Strats came with 12's (?) as standard in those days - whether Hank used anything as heavy as 14's I don't know, but it does affect the sound. Thin strings do sound 'thin' - heavier strings have more tone/body.
Chas.

I used D'adario strings. That was very heavy sound.

But,I have changed strings to Earneyball same gage.

It is very very easy to play and not thin sound.

I think I could try more heavier gage of Eaneyball.

Regards eugene.
eugene

Full Real Name: yuji yamaguchi

Postby bor64 » Mon Nov 08, 2010 12:52 am

On 11 of my strats I use D`Addario's 11-52 (G plain 17)on my 58 strat I use 14-62(G wound 32)they sound great and I can bend the 32 witout much dificulty...
I even bend strings when I play Thing Me Jig on my Bass VI.......
Two Marvin's are strung also 11-52,but my 40th AM has still the 10-46 it came with(to light I'll change that to 11-52 when the time come)my 4th Marvin is strung 11-49 by Barry Gibson...I find it not a fine combo those gauges and I'll also change them in the future....
My Les Paul is strung 10-46 Gibson LP strings (I know soap in mouth)
My JD tele has 9's on it but,when I play it...I have to be careful because I have the feeling I can rip them off.....
On my Joe Pass Jazz I use Thomastik-Infeld 12-50 flatwound
For the rest I have to check...with more than30 guitars I use a little notebook for what string goes on what...brands i tried in the past...believe me like all of yu I tried them all ......
"afterwards everyone is clairvoyant"
bor64

Full Real Name: Rob Aartsen

Postby franz » Sat Mar 26, 2011 11:26 pm

Hi, guys. I have only just seen this post. Golden Sixties strings are made in Germany by SSB Electronics gmbH. Now that Leo's Den no longer sells them, does anyone know where I can obtain some because they are by far the best strings I have ever had in 40 odd years of playing.
Thanks,

Franz
franz

Full Real Name: nigel duckworth

PreviousNext

Return to How To Get "That Sound"