Atlantis - Pickup switching

Loads of accumulated experience

Moderators: David Martin, dave robinson, Iain Purdon, George Geddes

Re: Atlantis on Stage

Postby Teflon » Tue Mar 03, 2020 12:46 pm

abstamaria wrote:Here’s a video many of you have seen already, of when we played (not very well, I’m afraid) Atlantis on stage over a decade ago. I think I played the outro solely on the middle pickup. I could have asked one of the chorus girls to run over and flick the pickup selector switch. That would’ve been cute.

https://youtu.be/C5UnP8mG1sY

Andy

Terrific performance. I've seen the Shadows perform this number numerous times, but always using keyboards rather than real violins and an orchestra. Would love to have been in the audience to get the full effect.

Cliff
Teflon

Full Real Name: Cliff Bradley

Postby Stu's Dad » Tue Mar 03, 2020 12:49 pm

abstamaria wrote:Here’s a video many of you have seen already, of when we played (not very well, I’m afraid) Atlantis on stage over a decade ago. I think I played the outro solely on the middle pickup. I could have asked one of the chorus girls to run over and flick the pickup selector switch. That would’ve been cute.

https://youtu.be/C5UnP8mG1sY

Andy

That was a great live performance Andy, with a full stage set up like that I wouldn't have bothered about one little muted part. I bet the audience thoroughly enjoyed it.

Regards,

Len
Stu's Dad

Full Real Name: Leonard Evans

Postby abstamaria » Wed Mar 04, 2020 5:19 am

Thanks, Roger, Cliff, Len. I’m glad you found the video entertaining. It was a fun but not an easy show to put together. There were many details to attend to: the early 1960s party dresses, the 45 RPM record projected on the screen (so the audience will remember the title of the piece!), the triangle, period microphones, and so on. You can catch a glimpse of the French horn player standing by for Wonderful Land. I am sure there were aficionados in the audience waiting to see what I would do with the pickup selector switch!
abstamaria

Full Real Name: Andres Sta. Maria

Re: Atlantis - Pickup switching

Postby kenJA58 » Sun Mar 08, 2020 3:46 am

Switching on the first note of the outro is the right way and it's how HBM does it. Can't remember which show it was (one of the big ones on DVD) but there was a close shot of him doing just this. It's quite fast but not rushed, just needs a bit if practice.
kenJA58

Full Real Name: Ken Adams

Postby abstamaria » Sun Mar 08, 2020 9:15 am

In this video, Hank seems to me to switch pickups after the first note.

https://youtu.be/8BbnCre_miA
abstamaria

Postby abstamaria » Sun Mar 08, 2020 11:43 am

But I’ll keep trying.
abstamaria

Postby GuitarPhil » Thu Mar 19, 2020 6:04 pm

abstamaria wrote:In this video, Hank seems to me to switch pickups after the first note.

https://youtu.be/8BbnCre_miA

Hank is using the middle pickup for the muted part, for example @1:36.

I tend to use the neck and bridge as I find it easier to go straight from one to the other. If I try to find the middle pick up sometimes I get one of the in-between positions!
GuitarPhil

Full Real Name: Philip Hawthorne

Postby Gatwick1946 » Fri Mar 20, 2020 7:04 am

I have not had problems switching pickups on Atlantis.
When I was learning the electric guitar, it was before the introduction of multi-effects, so to get a different sound the choice was limited - either switch to another pickup or turn round and adjust the amp controls (some amps had the knobs on the back LOL!!!).

My Fender Vibralux amp had a footswitch which was an on/off for the tremolo effect. In 1964 or thereabouts, the first foot peddles came out and now multi effects are available, all controlled by the foot. Some guitars had 4 pickups, to give a greater range, but due to the advances in electronics, just one pickup can be sufficient.

If you listen to Adios Muchachos, at about 1.08, you can hear a click as HBM changes pickups. This somehow never got edited out?
Kindest regards,
Christopher

PS Adios is "goodbye", but what is a "muchachos"?. It makes me think of Pancho, (compadre of The Cisco Kid!)
Gatwick1946

Full Real Name: Christopher Richard Hill

Postby abstamaria » Fri Mar 20, 2020 8:21 am

In that context, probably guys, fellows, chaps etc. Technically, it means young men.
abstamaria

Postby artyman » Fri Mar 20, 2020 10:58 am

I think it can also mean a young woman.

Hey.. The Cisco Kid, that brings back memories of Saturday morning picture club at the local Odeon.
artyman

Full Real Name: Ken Gillam

PreviousNext

Return to How To Get "That Sound"