Re: Atlantis - Pickup switching

Postby abstamaria » Fri Mar 20, 2020 12:41 pm

No, a young woman would be “muchacha.”

Andy
abstamaria

Full Real Name: Andres Sta. Maria

Postby abstamaria » Fri Mar 20, 2020 12:56 pm

GuitarPhil wrote:Hank is using the middle pickup for the muted part, for example @1:36.

I thought Hank would be using the neck pickup for the muted sections, but I did look at the video at about 1:36 and took screenshots. The peg on the pickup switch does seem to be in the middle.

Very strange.

Andy
abstamaria

Postby roger bayliss » Fri Mar 20, 2020 9:39 pm

abstamaria wrote:
GuitarPhil wrote:Hank is using the middle pickup for the muted part, for example @1:36.

I thought Hank would be using the neck pickup for the muted sections, but I did look at the video at about 1:36 and took screenshots. The peg on the pickup switch does seem to be in the middle.

Very strange.

Andy

It is on the middle pu, but this was 2004 on different gear with probably different amp settings to the original recordings.
American Pro Series Strat 2017, G&L S500 Natural Ash
roger bayliss

Full Real Name: Roger Bayliss

Postby abstamaria » Sat Mar 21, 2020 12:28 am

Yes, indeed, Roger. Perhaps the neck pickup also created too much of a volume difference in the PA setup for the very large venue.

As an incidental note, I much prefer Hank’s original interpretation to Atlantis; the slides in the muted section detract from the mood of the piece, to my ears. Which brings me to another point: I find I like certain artists at a specific part of their career. When they evolve and change styles or genres, I may no longer be a fan. They might as well be a different artist. There are a few exceptions of course.

In any case, I’ll keep practicing that quick switch to the bridge pickup. That will be one project during these times of quarantine.

Andy
abstamaria

Postby Uncle Fiesta » Sun Mar 22, 2020 2:28 pm

Gatwick1946 wrote: .. If you listen to Adios Muchachos, at about 1.08, you can hear a click as HBM changes pickups ...

There's an obvious one in Theme From Shane too.
Uncle Fiesta

Full Real Name: Steve Tebble

Previous

Return to How To Get "That Sound"