Tremolo technique

Loads of accumulated experience

Moderators: David Martin, dave robinson, Iain Purdon, George Geddes

Re: Tremolo technique

Postby roger bayliss » Thu Aug 19, 2010 2:13 pm

Well I finally got the right set-up on my Vintage 57 Strat after much trial and tribulation.. just thought I would mention something about tuning stability which I noticed drung adjusting the string heights at the tremelo particulary on the b/e treble side.

I had a problem at times during setting up where the B string was a real B*****r to get tuning stability on and one thing I found was that the tension in the strings had to be right to get the right balance and tuning stability ... just a 1/4 of a turn on one of the adjacent strings made all the difference. It was the only thing I changed that made a difference to the tuning problem so it's worthwhile mentioning it as a suspect place to look if your strat has a problem wiht strings going out of tune often.

HTH :idea: :)
American Pro Series Strat 2017, G&L S500 Natural Ash
roger bayliss

Full Real Name: Roger Bayliss

Re: Tremolo technique

Postby McShadow » Tue Oct 12, 2010 3:23 pm

MeBHank wrote:It depends on which period of Hank's playing you're trying to copy, and what the tune is. Watch the Crackerjack clips from 1961. Oodles of waggle on display there, because the tunes (FBI and The Frightened City) demand it. On Wonderful Land, however, recorded a little later that same year, Hank is using the trem fluently and smoothly.

If someone is trying to copy Hank, they should watch and listen to his example.

J

I think a lot of people may be misled by watching Hank. some footage shows him apparently over working the trem. closer inspection show his hand moving far more then the trem itself. he appears to be gripping it very lightly. It obviously works for him but there are so many different ways to hold a trem that watching may be misleading.
just a thought

regards
Ian
McShadow

Previous

Return to How To Get "That Sound"