Beginner obtaing the sound

Loads of accumulated experience

Moderators: David Martin, dave robinson, Iain Purdon, George Geddes

Beginner obtaing the sound

Postby jimt855 » Wed Sep 23, 2020 9:24 pm

Hi everyone,
Thanks you for accepting me as I have been a Shadows fan for many years,
Anyway as a beginner guitarist what is the cheapest way to obtain the Shadows sound please using hardware.
jimt855

Full Real Name: James Tyler

Re: Beginner obtaing the sound

Postby roger bayliss » Thu Sep 24, 2020 8:32 am

Hi

Cheap ? Probably a Squirer strat or maybe Harley Benton with vintage sounding pickups ., with a Vox VX 30 amp (£125) and Caline 10 Band EQ (£35) and maybe a Stanley Baby Blue echo .(£150). You might get cheaper if you look. Try Gumtree and Preloved etc secondhand.

Secondhand off ebay etc cheaper still. But good luck .
American Pro Series Strat 2017, G&L S500 Natural Ash
roger bayliss

Full Real Name: Roger Bayliss

Postby dave robinson » Thu Sep 24, 2020 2:29 pm

I'd look as the SX Strat, a Nux Tape Core echo pedal and a Vox DA-5. I own all of these at a cost of less than £200.

I paid £90 for the SX Strat, £47 for the Nux Tape`core from Nax Music and £65 for the Vox DA -5 on eBay.
If you can't find a Vox DA -5 I recommend the Vox ten watt Pathfinder. The sound is in there, you don't need to bugger about with graphic EQs.
Dave Robinson
dave robinson

Full Real Name: David Robinson

Postby jimt855 » Fri Sep 25, 2020 1:15 pm

Thanks all, the guitar I have, a Wilkinson Vintage reissue V6, cost me 350 pound. Its the hardware for obtaining the echo and delay. What do you think about the Zoom G1 four pedal with Art D´Echo patches.

Thanks in advance
jimt855

Full Real Name: James Tyler

Postby Teflon » Fri Sep 25, 2020 3:13 pm

I can't comment on the Zoom G1 as I have never used one, but earlier this year I bought a used Yamaha Magic Stomp from Ebay which came pre-loaded with the "EFTP" echo patches and so far seems to do a pretty good job for not too much money (cost around £150 iirc).

Cliff
Teflon

Full Real Name: Cliff Bradley

Postby Hank2k » Fri Sep 25, 2020 3:47 pm

Hi James

Welcome to the group

The Art Decho patches are not very good to be honest, they will give a rough example but really there are much better options.

The Zoom G3, G3x and G5 can be programmed with the Halls Echo patches (www.hallsecho.com) and for less than £200 all in you will have a very capable unit.

There is the Hall and Collins Echo (www.hallandcollins.com) these are £600 and very good

Then there is the TVS3 from Australia (www.tvsspecialityproducts) this is the unit that Hanks uses these days but are around £3000 plus

EFTP units like the Zoom G2, G7, G9, Alesis Q2, Q20, Quad etc come up some times on ebay at various prices but the EFTP arent supported too well these days.

I did a video a couple of years ago comparing the sound of these units apart from the TVS3 here:

Hank2k

Postby chaddman » Fri Sep 25, 2020 4:16 pm

Hi James,
You should be OK with your guitar.To get the sound without spending too much use a Joyo AC tone into a Zoom G1On or G1XOn if you can find one.The zoom has just been discontinued (probably because at £37.00 it did a decent job for a lot less money than the other Pedals Zoom were selling).The G1On has an Aux Input for your Phone or Tablet to play backing tracks through. Plug Headphones Into the output or send it through the return loop of an Amp with Reverb and flat response EQ. Hope this helps.
Cheers Phil.
chaddman

Full Real Name: Phil Holmes

Postby roger bayliss » Fri Sep 25, 2020 4:35 pm

The cheapest option though in my view is the Stanley Baby Blue at £150 and it has all the Shadows echos inclucing Meazzi, Long Tom, Roland on board.
roger bayliss

Postby dave robinson » Sat Sep 26, 2020 12:13 am

Your guitar is great for the job, Vintage guitars are good so no worries there. I agree with Roger about the BabyBlue you are seeking something pre-programmed.
Dave Robinson
dave robinson

Full Real Name: David Robinson

Postby roger bayliss » Sat Sep 26, 2020 12:33 pm

Yes a echo pre programmed would be best as being a beginner he likely has no knowledge of timings etc needed for echos.

The Baby Blue is better sounding Imo than the Zoom pedals and is a bespoke pedal designed to emulate the original echo boxes.

Dave is right about the Vintage Strat defo the right guitar.
roger bayliss

Next

Return to How To Get "That Sound"