Beginner obtaing the sound

Loads of accumulated experience

Moderators: David Martin, dave robinson, Iain Purdon, George Geddes

Re: Beginner obtaing the sound

Postby jimt855 » Sat Sep 26, 2020 3:13 pm

Thank you all for your kind answers,
I think going on your advice I will look for a pre programmed pedal , but at this moment my budget is about 150 pounds.

Jim
jimt855

Full Real Name: James Tyler

Postby barryg » Sat Sep 26, 2020 3:59 pm

An echo unit that needs mentioning is the Blue Nebula from Stanley fx. This is a really good echo with 48 presets by the names of tunes and covers the majority of the Shad tunes and more. There are also settings of the vintage echo units like Meazzi tape echo, Vox Longtom and Copicats. This is a unit well worth considering and is very easy to select settings. You pay a little more for this but you get a lot more for your money.

Have a look at Stanley the web site for details.

http://www.stanleyfx.co.uk/bluenebula.html

Barry
barryg

Full Real Name: Barry Gillam

Postby roger bayliss » Sat Sep 26, 2020 4:17 pm

jimt855 wrote:Thank you all for your kind answers,
I think going on your advice I will look for a pre programmed pedal , but at this moment my budget is about 150 pounds.

Jim

The Baby Blue by Stanley is just £150 + pp
American Pro Series Strat 2017, G&L S500 Natural Ash
roger bayliss

Full Real Name: Roger Bayliss

Postby jimt855 » Wed Sep 30, 2020 7:33 pm

dave robinson wrote:I'd look as the SX Strat, a Nux Tape Core echo pedal and a Vox DA-5. I own all of these at a cost of less than £200.

I paid £90 for the SX Strat, £47 for the Nux Tape`core from Nax Music and £65 for the Vox DA -5 on eBay.
If you can't find a Vox DA -5 I recommend the Vox ten watt Pathfinder. The sound is in there, you don't need to bugger about with graphic EQs.

Hi Dave,
I have looked at the Nux tape unit, would it require patches or is it trial and error to get the sound, delay, echo. would I plug the guitar into the unit then the unit into the amp..

Many thanks

James
jimt855

Postby dave robinson » Wed Sep 30, 2020 11:13 pm

Hi James, The Nux Tape Core pedal is a 'hands on' machine that is set up by the user. If you know how to set up the heads and know roughly what the echo pattern needs to be then it's relatively simple, the way we did it back in the day and we had fun and learned a lot.
If you're new to this I would honestly recommend a Zoom G3 with some programmes, I already told you about my free ones. All you have to do once the patches are loaded is choose the echo you want to use, all yhe work is done for you. You could also consider the Stanley FX Baby Blue or the more expensive Blue Nebula as they are both very good. :)
Dave Robinson
dave robinson

Full Real Name: David Robinson

Postby jimt855 » Sat Oct 03, 2020 11:03 am

roger bayliss wrote:The cheapest option though in my view is the Stanley Baby Blue at £150 and it has all the Shadows echos inclucing Meazzi, Long Tom, Roland on board.

Thanks Roger, I have looked at this and version 5 of the Stanley baby blue is 150 pounds, would I have to adjust the setting to create the shadows sound or just select the sound I want to use.

Jim
jimt855

Postby roger bayliss » Sat Oct 03, 2020 11:42 am

jimt855 wrote:
roger bayliss wrote:The cheapest option though in my view is the Stanley Baby Blue at £150 and it has all the Shadows echos inclucing Meazzi, Long Tom, Roland on board.

Thanks Roger, I have looked at this and version 5 of the Stanley baby blue is 150 pounds, would I have to adjust the setting to create the shadows sound or just select the sound I want to use.

Jim

The Baby Blue has a rotary switch to select several different echo machine sims as used by Hank Marvin. eg Meazzi Echomatic 2, Roland , Long Tom etc.

After you select a echo type , you use the other knobs to determine the strength of the echos etc and feedback. One of the other knobs, has a special function depending on the type of echo selected, such as setting the heads in use . Full instructions on Stanley Effects Website you can download to view. The function of the knobs are echo type specific.

The Blue Nebula is the bigger version with presets in memory to save you setting the knobs as on Blue Baby. It would be easier to use in that respect. You can make your own presets later if you wish.
American Pro Series Strat 2017, G&L S500 Natural Ash
roger bayliss

Full Real Name: Roger Bayliss

Previous

Return to How To Get "That Sound"