Zoom G1X Four effects

Loads of accumulated experience

Moderators: David Martin, dave robinson, Iain Purdon, George Geddes

Zoom G1X Four effects

Postby me-and-my-shadow » Sat Mar 13, 2021 9:56 am

Sold my Boss ME-70 to try the cheaper Zoom G1X Four. Constructed a few varying patches and decided on this one for an oldie but goodie.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=a6tJLfFFcRM&ab_channel=HighwayOne
me-and-my-shadow

Full Real Name: John cauley

Re: Zoom G1X Four effects

Postby Ian Miller » Thu Mar 18, 2021 1:03 pm

Excellent John, very nice playing and sound. The Zoom G1 Four series of pedals are excellent. I’ve had one since they first came out. Echo wise, they are very capable and versatile in my opinion. They are so easy to edit and create, especially with the ToneLib app!

Ian
Ian Miller

Full Real Name: Ian Miller

Postby me-and-my-shadow » Fri Mar 19, 2021 2:28 pm

Thank you Ian, appreciated. I have delved into the Tone Lib, having said that I spend a considerable time 'concocting' tones usually based on the classic Marvin sound. All much of a muchness but easy on the ear...I hope. I've just upload another track, It has been covered many times I think, hope you like it.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=os5wvXa ... HighwayOne
me-and-my-shadow

Postby Ian Miller » Fri Mar 19, 2021 4:09 pm

Great job John. Again, very well played with a very nice sound. I enjoyed it very much.
Are making these settings completely from scratch or are they based on published multi tap head timings such as those on the TVS3 site?

Ian
Ian Miller

Postby me-and-my-shadow » Sat Mar 20, 2021 11:30 am

Hi Ian, Thank you again. The patches I use are my own. Ive no doubt that other players might have similar settings. Sometime ago I corresponded with a guy in Europe who sent me his patch, sort of 'mix and match' I guess. I am forever tweaking the settings to suit whatever I want to try so my original settings have moved on a deal. Id better own up . . the sounds I get are made souley for recording on Audacity. If I use the same patch though my amp its way over the top, echo and reverb wise. Further to 'through my amp' I dont get that sweet top end as in the recording. Do you have that problem ? I must investigate TVS3, sounds interesting. The photo I use at the end of the basic vid is the group I played in 1959-64. I stopped playing then until 1980s, Im afraid age is beginning to catch-up on anything fast, hence the melodic stuff :D cheers John
me-and-my-shadow

Postby Ian Miller » Tue Mar 23, 2021 12:27 pm

Hi John,

Thanks for your reply. I’ve always been fascinated by echoes going way back to when I worked in the retail music industry in the 1960’s & 70’s. Back then it was tape machines & spring reverbs! At the moment apart from the G1 Four, I have an old Zoom 508 & a TC Electronics D-Two. The D-Two is very good and I’ve got the VSEE patches programmed into it. Jim Fraser on YouTube uses one on some of his recordings. It’s not a machine that’s easy to program as there is no editor available. Although it’s easy to adjust the mix and feedback on the fly! My main go to is the G1 Four as it’s so easy to program and sounds very good.
Here’s a link to the TVS3 technical info which gives head timings for quite a few units.
https://www.tvsspecialtyproducts.com/ha ... p#section2

Ian
Ian Miller

Postby me-and-my-shadow » Sat Mar 27, 2021 10:10 am

Hi Ian My first (and last 1964) ) tape echo box was made by Selmer. Always had to carry spare tapes as they wore out as I remember. Disaster if one broke during a performance, that would be my stage 'cred' down the chute. :D . Like you I have always had an interested in echo units but could never justify the cost in later years. The Boss ME-70 was very good using dual effects but with that unit I could never quite get the sound I wanted. With the G1x I can get reasonable tones, but I dont seem to be able to match the Boss ME-70 echoes. Cant win'em all except by spending out more I guess.
I had a look at TVS3, looks too tempting . I'll just stick to what I have. I keep chasing different echo set ups but not finding exactly what I want. cheers John
me-and-my-shadow

Postby artyman » Sat Mar 27, 2021 11:47 am

Have you had a look or rather listen to the Blue Nebula?
artyman

Full Real Name: Ken Gillam

Postby me-and-my-shadow » Sun Mar 28, 2021 1:04 pm

Hi no not seen this unit before, nice demo. It appears that if you can justify the extra expense the choice of different units is considerable. I remember being impressed by a Strymon El Capistan but at £299 I passed on it. The G1X Four has its limits but its pretty good value on a budget.
me-and-my-shadow

Postby Tigerdaisy » Mon Mar 29, 2021 10:56 am

You should get an acceptable echo for a reasonable price- for myself being able to play well and use the trem well is much much more important. A poor player with the top echo gear like a TVS3 will still sound crap- in fact no one will even realise you have a top of the line echo unit...or care.
Tigerdaisy

Full Real Name: Martin Kay

Next

Return to How To Get "That Sound"