Positive Grid 'Spark' amplifier - DEMOS ADDED

Loads of accumulated experience

Moderators: David Martin, dave robinson, Iain Purdon, George Geddes

Re: Positive Grid 'Spark' amplifier - DEMOS ADDED

Postby dave robinson » Fri Apr 28, 2023 1:22 pm

For as long as I can remember when visiting music shops, I have always known what I am looking for in any given piece of kit or musical instrument.
But always 100% guaranteed is that you'll get one of the guitar playing assistants insisting on demonstrating and showing off his latest Joe Satriani or Van Halen noise, which every time without fail is a multitude of garbled notes played with so much distortion that they can't be deciphered into any recognisable tune.
I usually ask for the guitar and find the cleanest tone possible and pick a few Hank or Chet Atkins or Duane Eddy notes first, followed by a few adjustments to the amp, then I rip into Beck's Bolero or the solo of Shapes Of Things To Come and a few snippets of The Sabre Dance, which usually leaves them with their mouths open and lost for words that this old geyser has just trumped their best efforts. I always say,'Let's hear it clean, I can make it distort myself if I want it to".
Back in 1964 when we were still very much influenced by The Shadows, the flavour of pop music had taken a big turn and we had to go with it or be left behind. The Beatles were well established followed by The Rolling Stones, Hollies, Yardbirds, Who, Kinks, Animals et al and I'd picked up this Gibson Fuzz Tone pedal from one of The Cruisers who backed Dave Berry. At the time it was a bit of a novelty, as we didn't like distortion on our guitars. Hank went on to use something similar on 'Stingray' a little later but it wasn't a great asset because the notes it produced were short and fuzzy, without any sustain, a bit like the intro to 'Satisfaction'. We had no desire to play that song so discarded it until I heard Jeff Beck a little later, in fact we were on the bill with The Yardbirds at Hull University on Jeff's very first appearance with them but at that time he was yet to get his Tone Bender. Jeff pushed his Vox AC30 amp with his Fender Esquire and really made it sing and it turned my head because he used the distortion in a melodic fashion. Later of course we heard 'Heart Full Of Soul' and 'Shapes Of Things' and I discovered he had a pedal called a Tone Bender. The story behind that is interesting, as Vic Flick of The John Barry Seven had got one of the Gibson Fuzz Tone boxes and didn't like it so he took it to a music shop in Charing Cross Road to see if it could be given more 'sustain' where Gary Hurst had a look at it and ended up inventing the Tone Bender, building it firstly in a wooden box, until it seemed every guitarist in London had heard about it and wanted one, and Macaris, where Gary worked, took on the project and built the Tone Bender in a metal box that we all recognise today. Jeff Beck was also there at the beginning and he got Gary to make him one too, in a wooden box, which can be heard on those Yardbirds hits.
Back in Yorkshire, we couldn't get a Tone Bender because of high demand, so John Hornby Skewes of Leeds, licensed the product and built the identical 'Zonk Machine', one of which I bought and used from 1965 onwards with me buying a second one (£7-10 shillings) followed by various Colorsound models over the years as they wore out and didn't work.
I now get that same effect using my Vox ToneLab LE or my Zoom G5n, but recently I was talking to Gary Hurst and he built me a special Tone Bender and sent it to me and it's absolutely wonderful and sounds exactly as it did on those hit records on which it was used back in the day. As it's very special to me, I don't take it to gigs but use it in my studio where there's no danger of losing it. So I still use the Zoom G5n to re-create the sound of the ToneBender.
The distorted sound of a guitar does have it's place in popular music, but like I said earlier, let me hear the amplifier's clean sound above any distortion and saturation and I can do the distortion thing myself thanks. ;)
Dave Robinson
dave robinson

Full Real Name: David Robinson

Postby hiffclall » Fri Apr 28, 2023 2:12 pm

Fascinating story !

I have a real "thing" for finding out about the wonderful "small" British designers / engineers / manufacturers that we've had over the years. Love hearing their stories and seeing some of their products. The boffins at abbey road and the tecchies at BBC.... Burns, Jennings, all those sorts of people. Don't get me started on UK organ builders and small car companies.

The image of a couple of guys starting out in a small shed somewhere....you know the kind of thing :-)
hiffclall

Full Real Name: matthew moore

Postby dave robinson » Fri Apr 28, 2023 6:01 pm

mozart999uk wrote:Fascinating story !

I have a real "thing" for finding out about the wonderful "small" British designers / engineers / manufacturers that we've had over the years. Love hearing their stories and seeing some of their products. The boffins at abbey road and the tecchies at BBC.... Burns, Jennings, all those sorts of people. Don't get me started on UK organ builders and small car companies.

The image of a couple of guys starting out in a small shed somewhere....you know the kind of thing :-)

I met and got to know to great people involved with making guitar related accessories over the years, quite a few of them from my discovering the original Shadows Community website back in 1999. I met Gary Hurst at a Shadows Convention gig we were booked on and learned his story first hand, which fascinated me as I was an early advocate of the fuzz box back when not many were using them. For me it was Jeff Beck who led the way to what became an art, making the notes last forever, violin- like in some cases.
Others took it to greater recognition but Jeff did it first. I met Charlie Watkins and had the pleasure of doing the demos for his last machine, the Copicat Gold. Along with Alan Jackson, we worked together on producing the patches to replicate the Meazzi that everybody wished for. Unfortunately the machine was a bit complicated and not easy to navigate and Charlie passed away mid production so it didn't materialise as expected.
Long before that I was involved with a guy from Birmingham called John Birch who built custom guitars for Roy Wood, Ritchie Blackmore, Slade, Black Sabbath to name a few, I was introduced to him by Karl Green of Herman's Hermits who had a left handed Strat built when he switched from bass to rhythm in 1972. He in turn was introduced to John Birch by Roy Wood. At the time Fender were poor with their QC and it was difficult to find a good Fender Stratocaster brand new, so people were looking at other options.
I had a Stratocaster made at a cost of £160 with my own specs, including neck & bridge humbuckers and a single coil in the middle, with a very slim neck. I used it for ten years before buying a red Tokai 62 type Strat and sold the John Birch to a friend.
It was these sort of guitars along with Tokai making Fender type guitars better than Fender, that forced them to do something about it and in the early eighties, Squier was born, shortly followed by Fender Japan.
Dave Robinson
dave robinson

Postby hiffclall » Sat Apr 29, 2023 7:06 pm

Some great names and people in there!

Would love to have met Charlie Watkins. Remember seeing some old WEM PA speakers in a music shop in the mid 80s. Nobody wanted them. Mind you, there were a couple of Vox guitar amps in there as well that the guy in the shop said they just couldn't shift. I was only 13-14 at the time. If I'd known what I know now...... We ended up buying a jazz chorus cos the sales guy said it would be more reliable and clean than any of the valve stuff..... I suppose he was right....didn't make for a great early 60s hank sound though...lol
hiffclall

Full Real Name: matthew moore

Postby dave robinson » Sat Apr 29, 2023 8:49 pm

I remember at the turn of the decade in 1970 Charlie Watkins has been experimenting with multiple power amps that he named 'slaves' that were 100 watts each and you used however many you needed along with different arrays of his speakers to build a wall of sound for PA. He provided systems for The Rolling Stones before providing the system for the Isle Of Wight Festival later. The rest is history, every band wanted WEM PA. ;)
Dave Robinson
dave robinson

Postby Teflon » Sun Apr 30, 2023 3:04 pm

Back in the '70s, Carlie Watkins & co set up shop in Caxton House, Chertsey, just a short walk from my home. Spent quite a while gazing in their shop window without fully realizing who or what they were. It was only when me and a friend decided to have a go at playing that it dawned on us that they made guitars on site (often wondered about all the noise that came from the premises!). My mate bought a "Mercury 6" (I think that was what it was called) from them, before trading it in for a Strat (he should have kept it), as well as a Copicat Echo. No idea what became of that. I bought an acoustic guitar there, but it was imported from Korea, or China (or somewhere similar) Branded "Frister", I still have it, but it's in need of a new bridge saddle.

Now I know a lot more about guitars, I really wish I could go back in time and take more interest in the activities of Caxton House. The building is long gone now, replaced by an office block, recently converted into flats.

Cliff
Teflon

Full Real Name: Cliff Bradley

Previous

Return to How To Get "That Sound"