Positive Grid Spark practice amp

Loads of accumulated experience

Moderators: David Martin, dave robinson, Iain Purdon, George Geddes

Positive Grid Spark practice amp

Postby dave robinson » Sun Apr 03, 2022 1:45 am

I think I mentioned back in December that I had bought one of the Spark amps after playing with my friend's for a couple of hours.
I use in in my front living room and currently have one of my TVS3 echo machines plugged into it.
For the past few months I have been testing different guitars to try and find something that will do the job for me comfortably, since I now struggle playing some of my Strats because of their neck profiles. I do have two USA Strats that have the USA Deluxe necks and they are perfect for me, having a 9 to 14" compound radius which makes barring chords painless for me.
Other than those, my 'go to' guitars are my newly acquired D'Angelico models with 14" radius fingerboards and PRS with 10" radius.
Sadly all my vintage instruments with 7.5 radius are now impossible for me to play because of the pain in trying to play bar chords, so I tend not to favour those guitars any longer, in fact it looks like I'll be selling many great guitars soon.
But back to the point of this posting.
For many years I sought perfection in trying to replicate the sound of the early Shadows' records and spent a lot of money in trying different kit to establish the sound. it's well documented that I had hearing problems that I wasn't aware of that have now been put right so I can now hear what's going on and I know it to be accurate so I can tell you that at last I am able to plug in my guitar every day and hear the sound of those Shadows' records from the early 1960s, Using my TVS3 or any other echo through the Spark amplifier, set to the AC 30 tone, it is a very simple task and no need for any further equipment, so much so that I am going to take the Spark amplifier on a gig and plug it into an FRFR speaker to amplify it to the level required. The beauty of this is that not only will I achieve the old early Vox sounds as used by Hank, I will be able to use a Fender Twin Reverb sound or a Mesa Boogie or Marshall sound at the press of a button on my iPad, And all of this without any extra pedals or gadgets. I will be trying it this week so I will let everyone know how I get on but it promises to be a very interesting and beneficial exercise from what I am hearing playing in my living room.

This all happened by accident, as my D’Angelico guitars and the PRS guitars have humbucking pick ups with split coils and I was trying to get the split coils to sound like a Stratocaster. When I actually tried a real Strat I was amazed that the sound was so accurate compared with Hank's early recordings with The Shadows. If this works it will be interesting because Positive Grid are bringing out a smaller version of the Spark amplifier which is about 6" square and very affordable and runs on batteries. This smaller version has all the same attributes to get the sounds we love and to someone like me and people like yourselves is very attractive.
I will keep you all posted. :x
Dave Robinson
dave robinson

Full Real Name: David Robinson

Re: Positive Grid Spark practice amp

Postby Iain Purdon » Mon Apr 04, 2022 10:26 am

Interesting stuff. I’m sure that as we all get older and our faculties decline*, there is great interest in anything that will enable those of us who can to create these wonderful sounds without spending a fortune or requiring great physical strength and dexterity.

Keep up the pioneering work, Dave!

Cheers - I

*(who said “speak for yourself?”)
Iain Purdon
site admin group
Iain Purdon
Site Admin

Full Real Name: Iain Purdon

Postby anniv 63 » Mon Apr 04, 2022 2:46 pm

Hi Dave , as a plug in and go man, I did give this Amp serious consideration at one time.
I am a little concerned about a lot of reviews it has had particularly on Amazon etc on
ease of use tech support (as you cant buy from any local emporium) or any other material
issues reported as such.
I am hoping someone I vaguely know locally can bring round his example (bought directly
from Positive Grid) although he has no interest in Shadows stuff, at least I might get a try out.
Here's Hoping!!

Mike
anniv 63

Full Real Name: mj shiach

Postby SJB » Mon Apr 04, 2022 3:54 pm

I was just wondering how the Positive Grid amp compares with the Vox Adio Air?

My main compliant about the Adio was that you could put on a backing track - and it comes across quite loud if you wanted. But you could not reach that level with the guitar before one got into distortion.

Seemed like a design error to me.
SJB

Full Real Name: Stuart J Best

Postby dave robinson » Mon Apr 04, 2022 3:57 pm

anniv 63 wrote:Hi Dave , as a plug in and go man, I did give this Amp serious consideration at one time.
I am a little concerned about a lot of reviews it has had particularly on Amazon etc on
ease of use tech support (as you cant buy from any local emporium) or any other material
issues reported as such.
I am hoping someone I vaguely know locally can bring round his example (bought directly
from Positive Grid) although he has no interest in Shadows stuff, at least I might get a try out.
Here's Hoping!!

Mike

Not sure what you mean by 'you can't buy from any local emporium' I just use Guitar Guitar- it's easy.
Also as far as Amazon is concerned I have seen more educated reviews from an amoeba.
Dave Robinson
dave robinson

Postby SJB » Mon Apr 04, 2022 4:18 pm

Dave - Please "amoeba" I had to look that up :D

Sorry to hear about your situation with your hands. Hope you can continue ok with the larger radius fingerboards.
SJB

Full Real Name: Stuart J Best

Postby anniv 63 » Mon Apr 04, 2022 4:50 pm

Apologies I did not know that Guitar Guitar indeed has stocks of this Brand.
Should have checked up their Website current availability!!

Mike
anniv 63

Full Real Name: mj shiach

Postby dave robinson » Mon Apr 04, 2022 9:40 pm

SJB wrote:Dave - Please "amoeba" I had to look that up :D

Sorry to hear about your situation with your hands. Hope you can continue ok with the larger radius fingerboards.

It was ridiculous reviews on the likes of Amazon and social media that initially made me ignore the Spark amp. I wish people who don't know how to use equipment would keep their advice and adverse opinions o themselves.I couldn't believe how good it was when I finally got to try it :|
Dave Robinson
dave robinson

Postby dave robinson » Tue Apr 05, 2022 10:04 am

I will gig this on Thursday, so far I have had the set up as follows and each of them sound amazingly good.

Firstly I used my Zoom G5n with the amplifier simulation activated and set the Spark amplifier with a flat response, routing it into my Headrush FRFR speaker system to give me the power needed on stage.

Secondly I took the ZoomG5n out of the loop and went instead through the TVS3 straight into the spark amplifier which was set on an early Vox AC 30 tone, again boosted through the Headrush FRFR speaker. It sounded just as if it were plugged into a vintage Vox amplifier and the sound was there in spades. I couldn't believe how accurate the guitar sound was compared to the early Shadows records that we strived so hard to achieve in the past, no extra pedals no extra EQ - nothing, it just worked.
I believe this is where the TVS3 comes into play with it's amazing Meazzi preamp which adds the vintage tone that we all instantly recognise. I will use the TVS3 at our gig on Thursday evening, but I will also take the Zoom G5n and set them up so I can use either with the aid of a splitter box.
During a performance I use various different sounds including a chorus effect, Duane Eddy type tremolo effect, Gary Moore overdriven fuzz effect as well as a straight AC30 tone for the Beatles songs. All of these are set up on my iPad so in theory all I should have to do is select the tone for a song throughout the set and it should work.

I will report here after our gig on Thursday night. :)
Dave Robinson
dave robinson

Postby Phrygian » Wed Apr 06, 2022 12:17 am

Hi Dave,

Do you just use one setting on the Spark, or do you dial in different settings corresponding to changes in Hank's amplification over the years?

I have one and would be curious to get your settings.
Phrygian

Full Real Name: Bob Lalich

Next

Return to How To Get "That Sound"