Positive Grid Spark practice amp

Loads of accumulated experience

Moderators: David Martin, dave robinson, Iain Purdon, George Geddes

Re: Positive Grid Spark practice amp

Postby dave robinson » Wed Apr 06, 2022 10:15 am

For this purpose I have an early Vox AC30 tone set up with my echo straight into it, patched into my Headrush FRFR speaker and it sounds exactly how It would through the real Vox amp but with more volume if needed.
To get the GAIN right without too much overdrive, I have it at only .5 on the dial, with the MASTER up full. Bass, Mid & Treble around midway to taste.
On the AC Tone setting on the Spark, it seems to be geared up for distortion rather than clean, so you have to keep that GAIN down.

I do have some different patches set up to play 'Parisienne Walkways' which uses distortion & delay, 'Rebel Rouser' which is tremolo & reverb along with generic chorus and slapback to cover our repertoire for a live set. All of these are very different to the Shadows sound.

When I get a bit of spare time I'll do a quick video post a couple of tracks to show how t sounds with The Shads numbers. :)
Dave Robinson
dave robinson

Full Real Name: David Robinson

Postby Phrygian » Wed Apr 06, 2022 4:15 pm

Thanks Dave! I appreciate the help since I have never played through a vintage AC30. The closest I have come is one of the Vox modeling amps around 20 years ago.

I tried the Spark with my Blue Nebula last night. I found that I had to turn the gain down too. I ended up with the tone controls at roughly 5. Are you using one of the Spark reverb choices?
Phrygian

Full Real Name: Bob Lalich

Postby dave robinson » Wed Apr 06, 2022 8:01 pm

I don't use the reverb unless I'm playing the Duane Eddy stuff with the tremolo.
You can try anything you like, you can't break it. I don't push the GAIN over 1 for Shadows stuff as it gets too overdriven.
Maybe the Matchless 30 has a bit more clean gain, I'll investigate.
You can get a fabulous clean gain from the Fender Twin if you know how to set it up.
Dave Robinson
dave robinson

Postby Phrygian » Thu Apr 07, 2022 1:44 pm

I have experimented with all the amp choices found in the Spark app. I don't have a personal reference for the sound and feel of playing through a real AC30 though.
Last edited by Phrygian on Thu Apr 07, 2022 3:44 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Phrygian

Full Real Name: Bob Lalich

Postby dave robinson » Thu Apr 07, 2022 2:36 pm

dave robinson wrote:I don't use the reverb unless I'm playing the Duane Eddy stuff with the tremolo.
You can try anything you like, you can't break it. I don't push the GAIN over 1 for Shadows stuff as it gets too overdriven.
Maybe the Matchless 30 has a bit more clean gain, I'll investigate.
You can get a fabulous clean gain from the Fender Twin if you know how to set it up.

The problem is that nobody has really uploaded a typical early 1960s clean patch for the Vox AC30 on the Spark web site, it's all based on distortion.
If you choose the Vox amp ( the dark red & black one) set the GAIN at 0.5, BASS at a quarter to the hour, MID at quarter past the hour and treble around midday, VOLUME full on.
That gives a close simulation of an old AC30 and just by plugging into that I get a great result. Remember there are all the pedals to consider, turn them all OFF to begin with.
You can add the compressor and drive to try at get more level but I haven't needed it.
Dave Robinson
dave robinson

Postby dave robinson » Thu Apr 07, 2022 6:31 pm

Unfortunately I won't be using my Spark amp tonight through the Headrush 1 x 12 as I am not on guitar as our drummer is missing owing to a mild illness, so I'm on drums as we couldn't find a dep.
However . . . . I went to set up this afternoon and once I'd checked the drums and PA, I set up the Spark with the FRFR speaker and played a few tunes, using my Vox Tonelab SE for the echoes which sounded sublime. I played Atantis, Peace Pipe, Kon Tiki, Apache, Shadoogie and Big Boy and the sound I described was there in spades, using the volume and tone controls on the Strat in a way I had never dreamed would be beneficial to the tone. Next week when I'm back on guitar I'm going to take my TVS3 and give it the works, if it sounds as good as I heard today with the Vox Tonelab, heaven only knows how the TVS3 will improve on that and I know it will.
So, the experiment of using the Vox like qualities of the Spark amplifier and routing it to a quality powered speaker to get the level to use on stage actually does work very well and to say I'm delighted would be an understatement. I will of course still make some videos to demonstrate how it improves our sound. :)
Dave Robinson
dave robinson

Postby C-C » Fri Apr 08, 2022 12:49 pm

Dave,
I'm thinking of getting the P-G Spark amp.
When you connect from the spark to a mixer or power amp does the spark output
connection have a cab simulator built in.
Have you tried using your S500 guitar with it.
Might get one tomorrow I'm thinking of using My S500-TVS3 into the Spark.
Carl.
C-C

Full Real Name: Carl Craig

Postby dave robinson » Fri Apr 08, 2022 4:07 pm

C-C wrote:Dave,
Carl.

Hi Carl, yes I have used the S-500 and it sounds excellent, I think those pickup are amongst the best Strat sounding ones ever.
I don't honestly know if there is a cab simulator in there, all I can say is that when I connect it that way and use my AC30 setting, it sounds right.
Dave Robinson
dave robinson

Postby Garystrat » Fri Apr 08, 2022 4:44 pm

dave robinson wrote:
C-C wrote:Dave,
Carl.

Hi Carl, yes I have used the S-500 and it sounds excellent, I think those pickup are amongst the best Strat sounding ones ever.
I don't honestly know if there is a cab simulator in there, all I can say is that when I connect it that way and use my AC30 setting, it sounds right.

I would have thought that cab simulation is the IR's built into the software. you would probably need to this way to handle the different amp models.
Garystrat

Full Real Name: Gary Willmott

Postby C-C » Fri Apr 08, 2022 5:30 pm

Thanks for for the info I guess it could be built in to the app.
But If it sounds right I'll be happy' I could tinker with the EQ
Do you know if Windows 7 is compatible with the Sparks Apps.
Carl
C-C

Full Real Name: Carl Craig

PreviousNext

Return to How To Get "That Sound"