Hank's Muting Technique.

Loads of accumulated experience

Moderators: David Martin, dave robinson, Iain Purdon, George Geddes

Hank's Muting Technique.

Postby dagon1 » Wed Mar 17, 2010 6:42 am

Hi Dave,
I take you as the "man in the know" about the techniques that Hank uses to get those glorious tones. ;) ;)
I am keen to know the string muting techniques (et al Atlantis ) where the bridge muted sounds still rings clear compared to some of my attempts which sound more muffled. Any suggestions? How does the "Easy Mute" tremolo arm work to that effect?

I have the thread on your "Read Me First" but thought the topic may have a wider audience to discuss and share knowledge.
:)
dagon1

Re: Hank's Muting Technique.

Postby boritz » Wed Mar 17, 2010 8:10 am

G'day Reg,

Like all techniques it's all about practice.

Edge of the palm of the plectrum hand resting very lightly on the point where the strings sit on the bridge saddles - just enough to mute but not deaden.

The Easy-Mute arm simply provides more room for the hand - they are great but most of us (pre-eminently Hank) palm-muted long ago with the conventional arms.

An echo effect is a must to get "the sound".

Try using the middle or neck p/u's first - it is easier to get a satisfactory palm-mute sound on them than is the bridge p/u. Migrate to the bridge p/u when you are ready.

Regards,
(another) Dave.
Amateur (rank!) since 1963, MIM Strat (2007) Kinman FV-HMS pickups/K9, Easy-Mute, MagicstompEFTP > Korg AX5G > Audacity
boritz

Full Real Name: Dave Powell

Postby David Martin » Wed Mar 17, 2010 8:26 am

Posted a reply to you just here... http://shadowmusic.bdme.co.uk/viewtopic.php?f=61&t=254&p=15473#p15473

:D

As noted above, the Easy Mute makes getting your hand into the available space easier and thus muting is more consistent once you can do it... but some folks don't like the way it looks on the guitar.
David M
David Martin
Site Admin

Full Real Name: David Martin

Postby dagon1 » Wed Mar 17, 2010 8:30 am

Thanks Mate!
That was very useful. Can't agree more on the "practice" part ! :mrgreen:
dagon1

Postby dagon1 » Wed Mar 17, 2010 8:37 am

David Martin wrote:Posted a reply to you just here... http://shadowmusic.bdme.co.uk/viewtopic.php?f=61&t=254&p=15473#p15473

:D

As noted above, the Easy Mute makes getting your hand into the available space easier and thus muting is more consistent once you can do it... but some folks don't like the way it looks on the guitar.

Just read your other thread. Thanks Heaps. :)
I did notice the "unique looking" Easy Mute Arm on some of Hank 's Strats when he played at Gold Coast a month ago.
I also noticed he mainly used the bridge pickup too.
dagon1

Postby Bojan » Wed Mar 17, 2010 4:25 pm

For me muting also works well with the base of my hand rather than the side. In addition to very effective muting, this leaves the hand in a more natural playing position. Does anyone else do this?
Bojan

Full Real Name: Bojan Drndic

Postby dagon1 » Thu Mar 18, 2010 1:16 am

boritz wrote:G'day Reg,

An echo effect is a must to get "the sound".

Regards,
(another) Dave.

I am using the echo effects on my Vox Tonelab which is giving me reasonably decent sounds
dagon1

Postby boritz » Thu Mar 18, 2010 8:47 am

Bojan wrote:For me muting also works well with the base of my hand rather than the side. In addition to very effective muting, this leaves the hand in a more natural playing position. Does anyone else do this?

Yes - whatever feels most natural to the player. That's what I intended to convey when I wrote 'edge' :D

Had to go and get my guitar to check :lol:
Amateur (rank!) since 1963, MIM Strat (2007) Kinman FV-HMS pickups/K9, Easy-Mute, MagicstompEFTP > Korg AX5G > Audacity
boritz

Full Real Name: Dave Powell

Postby Snewzer » Wed Dec 09, 2015 4:37 am

For what it's worth I have constructed a small device (A piece of sponge glued to a thin board) which I have attached to my bridge via an elastic band. When you rest your palm on it the sponge dampens the strings and it doesn't matter if you are a bit heavy because the sponge is doing the work and you won't deaden the sound.
Pete
Snewzer

Return to How To Get "That Sound"