Read Me First please...

Loads of accumulated experience

Moderators: David Martin, dave robinson, Iain Purdon, George Geddes

Read Me First please...

Postby David Martin » Mon Sep 21, 2009 9:37 am

I'm conscious that lots of folks want to get as near as they can to sounds made by The Shads, so I've started this dedicated sub-forum. It's intended to be a repository for all those little wrinkles (and caveats) more experienced players have amassed over the years in one easy-to-find place.

I'll get the ball rolling with one or two posts, but feel free to join in, add your advice, ask your question and, of course, disagree... :D

Added later... As this area has proved popular with much more stuff from members, I've moved my original posts to the beginning of the thread to give beginners a start in each of the important areas of "that sound"...

Many thanks to all contributors for their later, more erudite and eclectic postings... :)
David M
David Martin
Site Admin

Full Real Name: David Martin

Re: Read Me First please...

Postby Amanda » Mon Sep 21, 2009 11:38 am

Hi David,

A great idea!

Amanda
[Check Out My Meazzi Site: http://www.meazzi.org.uk
And Tape Echo Forum: http://ac15.org.uk/meazzibbs/index.php

You're Never Alone With A Mitzi!
Amanda

Full Real Name: Amanda Hambidge

Postby dagon1 » Wed Mar 17, 2010 4:14 am

David Martin wrote:I'm conscious that lots of folks want to get as near as they can to sounds made by The Shads, so I've started this dedicated sub-forum. It's intended to be a repository for all those little wrinkles (and caveats) more experienced players have amassed over the years in one easy-to-find place.

I'll get the ball rolling with one or two posts, but feel free to join in, add your advice, ask your question and, of course, disagree... :D

Hi Dave,
I take you as the "man in the know" about the techniques that Hank uses to get those glorious tones. ;) ;)
I am keen to know the string muting techniques (et al Atlantis ) where the bridge muted sounds still plays clear compared to some of my attempts which sound more muffled. Any suggestions?
dagon1

Postby David Martin » Wed Mar 17, 2010 8:25 am

Simple to describe but needs practice to perfect... You simply vary the pressure from the side of your hand on the bridge. So for Wonderful Land a steady constant pressure which gives the echo a sufficiently "clipped" sound to work on, whereas Atlantis is a lighter pressure - removed before the note goes completely dead - so you get a muted sound with a degree of "ring" left to it...

Make sense? :)
David M
David Martin
Site Admin

Full Real Name: David Martin

Postby Bojan » Wed Mar 17, 2010 4:23 pm

For me muting also works well with the base of my hand rather than the side. In addition to very effective muting, this leaves the hand in a more natural playing position. Does anyone else do this?
Bojan

Full Real Name: Bojan Drndic

Return to How To Get "That Sound"