Which "sound" is "that" then?

Loads of accumulated experience

Moderators: David Martin, dave robinson, Iain Purdon, George Geddes

Re: Which "sound" is "that" then?

Postby abstamaria » Wed Mar 01, 2023 2:34 am

I am sorry to hear that, David. I hope you will be able to make more good progress on recovery from your stroke and that your heart, arm, and leg improve reasonably well.

I was amused by your story from your youth; I was the same. In high school, I drew guitars, especially the headstocks, on the inside covers and blank spaces of books, too, but knew they were out of reach. My cousin then had a new Gibson SG, a cherry red, early model that had a Les Paul tag on the headstock and the vibrato bar that moved sideways. Perhaps your reissue replicates that. I lusted after that guitar and, a few years ago, almost bought its reissue. I did not, because it did not fit in the early Shadows and Ventures music we play.

It seems you are moving in the right direction and optimistic. That is good. I am glad you have the echo box out. The wonderful forums that you started, this and the previous one, which I also joined, have been a great resource and provided much encouragement. It is an engaging quest, ours, the search for That Sound. Many thanks, David. All the best.

Andres
Manila
abstamaria

Full Real Name: Andres Sta. Maria

Postby JimN » Wed Mar 01, 2023 4:57 pm

Anybody, but especially David, has my deepest sympathy and empathy when it comes to any infirmity which reduces or obviates the ability to produce music.

A few years ago, I was convinced that I would never be able to play again when I had an appalling attack of severe dermatitis on the fingers, mainly the tips, of my left hand. It persevered for ages, responding to no treatment, no matter how much I paid for it (and I was desperate enough to pay to go private).

And then, after about a year, and as if by magic or a response to prayer, it cleared up, though the new grown skin was as tender as that of a non player.

Never give up hope, David, my friend.
JimN

Full Real Name: Jim Nugent

Postby David Martin » Wed Mar 01, 2023 9:27 pm

Many thanks to both of you for your kind words.

Andres, it means so much to me that Shadowmusic has brought together a community of like minded people from around the globe, and has helped to nurture the network of Shadows Music Clubs in UK. And from Jim, that message of positivity reinforces my determination to keep going...

BTW the new Strat is superb... the sound is here, and it's beautifully made in Mexico https://www.guitarguitar.co.uk/product/180924332978008--fender-fsr-tribute-stratocaster-fiesta-red-limited-edition
David M
David Martin
Site Admin

Full Real Name: David Martin

Postby JJMMWG DuPree » Sat Mar 18, 2023 1:42 pm

OK, I've clambered into my bomb shelter in my secret base on my secret island, so I'm ready to post this...

To me the only guitarist with anything close to being described as "That sound" was Duane Eddy. The sound to become known as The Shadows sound was the same sound as all skiffle groups who had made the crossover to rock'n'roll. And to add to the contumely about to be heaped upon my head, Hank Marvin wasn't even the best. He got good really fast but he was never a match for people like Big Jim Sullivan or 'Little Jim' Page.

But the thing that gets me thrown out of guitarist-get-togethers faster than anything is this. The reason the Shadows got so big so fast was that they had the good fortune to be the backing group for the last of the Britain's-answer-to-Elvises.

Fire away! :mrgreen:
JJMMWG DuPree

Full Real Name: Deke Roberts

Postby Uncle Fiesta » Sat Mar 18, 2023 2:39 pm

You may be in your shelter for a while Deke. Anything other than 'Hank is God' is regarded as heresy around here.
Uncle Fiesta

Full Real Name: Steve Tebble

Postby Iain Purdon » Sat Mar 18, 2023 6:49 pm

All opinions are valid, it’s not a contest!
Iain Purdon
site admin group
Iain Purdon
Site Admin

Full Real Name: Iain Purdon

Postby abstamaria » Sun Mar 19, 2023 7:49 am

That’s your preference and the sound you want to achieve. Others prefer Santana, Hendrix, and so on. That is perfectly all right. I am sure there are chat groups and forums dedicated to them and Duane Eddy.

It is simply that The Shadows (and this site) isn’t for you! You’re in the wrong forum, i think, Deke. You’re bringing a Toyota to a Honda club meeting! May you find the right club, Deke.

Best,

Andy
abstamaria

Full Real Name: Andres Sta. Maria

Postby MikeAB » Sun Mar 19, 2023 11:32 am

Interesting this. I've followed guitar players all my life.

We're all entitled to an opinion so get ready.

I find some of the celebrated rock guitar artists so dull and boring I cannot help but think peer group pressure and wanting to be 'cool' affects their status more than their playing does. What a fuss about Jeff Beck the other month! Hendrix - remove Watchtower/Wind Cries Mary and there is nothing for me. Clapton - famous for Layla/Wonderful Tonight/Tears in Heaven - i.e. just the 3 good 'pop' songs - the great intro to Badge? - Harrison! The rest is either the Yardbirds etc or simply don't bother. Gilmour - great only on a couple of tracks again, yes Comfortably Numb being one of them. Led Zep - couple of good riffs maybe.

I don't doubt they are all great players- but what they play for me has been mostly forgettable. Rambling around blues scales - zzzzzzz (snoring).

Etc etc etc

I listen now at 76 after 63 years to Hank/Shads/Knopfler/Oldfield and Hackett playlists. Quite a lot of Duane but despite some great tracks he really shouldn't be the solo artist named as it was such a group effort with more sax etc. Call him The Rebels - okay. After that it's odd tracks from the others.

Steve Howe, Stephen Stills, John Lees and Justin Hayward are as good as anyone but not celebrated outside the fans mostly.

Rant over and feel better for it.

Mike
MikeAB

Full Real Name: Mike Barnes

Previous

Return to How To Get "That Sound"