Which "sound" is "that" then?

Loads of accumulated experience

Moderators: David Martin, dave robinson, Iain Purdon, George Geddes

Re: Which "sound" is "that" then?

Postby MeBHank » Wed Sep 30, 2009 7:28 pm

Fair point, Dave. Colin's sound did improve in 2006, but, to my ears, it improved immeasurably just a year later. I'm not saying that just to be pedantic, I genuinely believe it to be true. Phil and I heard the Rapiers' sound check in 2007, and we were both knocked out by the improvement.

It depends what you consider to be a good sound and a brilliant sound. I bet you anything that most here would say "great sound!" if they heard a good player using a MagicStomp, ESE or Q20 through an AC15. Then switch the echo to a Meazzi, and, if the listeners know what they're hearing, the superlatives will change to "incredible!" and "awesome!".

Let's go back to Happy Birthday. The EF86 valve is important in no small way to that sound, in fact it's vital, but the aspect that causes me to describe it as absolutely stunning is the Meazzi tone that I hear. I think that in the past I've described the Meazzi as the icing on the cake. The cake is nice by itself, but if you have the icing, that's all you can focus on.

J
Justin Daish
MeBHank

Full Real Name: Justin Daish

Postby ernie1958 » Wed Sep 30, 2009 8:22 pm

;)Fair enough Justin...to each his own i might say but still...I would like to know what you meant by a "circuit three amp" ?
Haven't heard this expression for whatever it is before..reason why I ask.. :roll:
Oh..and btw..where exactly is the EF86 tube located and what exactly does it do if you don't mind me asking?

Cheers,
Ernie
ernie1958

Postby roger bayliss » Wed Sep 30, 2009 8:43 pm

ernie1958 wrote:;)Fair enough Justin...to each his own i might say but still...I would like to know what you meant by a "circuit three amp" ?
Haven't heard this expression for whatever it is before..reason why I ask.. :roll:
Oh..and btw..where exactly is the EF86 tube located and what exactly does it do if you don't mind me asking?

Cheers,
Ernie

There is this thread from the archives which may assist a little more...

http://www.berkshireshadows.org/forums/ ... c=3663&hl=
American Pro Series Strat 2017, G&L S500 Natural Ash
roger bayliss

Full Real Name: Roger Bayliss

Postby ernie1958 » Wed Sep 30, 2009 9:22 pm

roger bayliss wrote:
ernie1958 wrote:;)Fair enough Justin...to each his own i might say but still...I would like to know what you meant by a "circuit three amp" ?

Cheers,
Ernie

There is this thread from the archives which may assist a little more...

http://www.berkshireshadows.org/forums/ ... c=3663&hl=

;) Thanks Roger..very helpfull..now I understand where you're coming from.Will keep that in mind when scouting for a new approach
into getting things more accurate! :D

Regards,
Ernie
ernie1958

Postby Tab » Thu Oct 01, 2009 8:06 am

This has probably been asked before - if so I missed it.

Does anyone have the backing track for Happy Birthday as played on the 21 Today Album?

Kind regards

Terry
Tab

Full Real Name: Terry Bryant

Postby Didier » Thu Oct 01, 2009 9:02 am

MeBHank wrote:Why do the sounds from Gary and the TVS team sound so good? Because their unit incorporates the Meazzi circuitry into the guitar signal.

Listen to Guitar Express playing "Walk don't run" here
Lead guitarist Patrice Bastien is using his Meazzi drum unit clone he has built from a heavily modidied Binson (The head spacing has been modified to match the Meazzi one, and it has been totally rewired according to the Meazzi schematics).
Unfornatly the sound quality isn't quite good enough, but this is because of the camera I used to record it, not because of the live sound.

Didier
Didier

Full Real Name: Didier Parot

Postby ernie1958 » Thu Oct 01, 2009 9:14 pm

:wtf: This thread is getting to be more interesting each time I go through it.. :D We all get to dwell on how "that sound" really should be.
What gear,strings,picks and so on,and so forth..

Check this guy out I heard on Youtube.There are many Hank Marvin wannabe's out there who are all striving to get that accurate sound using
whatever gear they find is the best.As far as I could see Getab( I think it's his real name,not sure)is using a rack with all kinds of goodies in it,
as I noticed( not in this vid but in another one by Getab).

I REALLY think he's got the most identical "one-on-one" sound,in other words actually nailed what everyone's after concerning "that sound"!!

Let's hear what you all think about this... ;)
ernie1958

Postby rogera » Thu Oct 01, 2009 9:54 pm

I agree with you Ernie - that has to be the nearest that I've heard to the original recording.
rogera

Full Real Name: Roger Allcock

Postby Martyn » Fri Oct 02, 2009 2:01 am

Referring earlier to my having played through Justin's Meazzi/vintage AC15, I've been tinkering with the Magicstomp and TonelabST trying to get nearer that day's experience. Using EFTP patch 14 and with the Tonelab set on AC15 amp and cabinet, this a quick recording of the same tune I played then, done a few moments ago - please excuse any errors but it's getting late (1.45am)and my brain's going a bit fuzzy . . .
I played with treble, mid and bass, compression, noise reduction and gain until I thought it was as close as my memory suggested - no doubt Justin will be spluttering into his coffee when he hears this paltry effort at emulating his equipment but the trouble is that even after just a month or so, my recall of the sound I enjoyed that day is already confused by the various samples I've listened to here and elsewhere since then, so heaven knows how we're supposed to simulate sounds made donkeys years ago.
Normally I'd post a track in the sound files section but given the topic under discussion here I'd be interested to know if you think this OK for the period when the original was recorded, too modern in tone - or just plain miles off :roll: Be as harsh as you like - I really don't mind. :) I'd rather know where I'm going wrong.

http://www.4shared.com/file/136892274/2 ... -_new.html

(2007 Mex strat with standard US pickups, Elixir Nanoweb 10s)
Martyn

Full Real Name: Martyn Welch

Postby Didier » Fri Oct 02, 2009 8:02 am

ernie1958 wrote:As far as I could see Getab( I think it's his real name,not sure)

Hi real name is Gérard Tabis, better known as "Gégé".
He has long worked with Patrice Bastien on "that sound" and contributed to the development of Patrice's "PB Box", before going his own way.

Didier
Didier

Full Real Name: Didier Parot

PreviousNext

Return to How To Get "That Sound"