Which "sound" is "that" then?

Loads of accumulated experience

Moderators: David Martin, dave robinson, Iain Purdon, George Geddes

Re: Which "sound" is "that" then?

Postby roger mosedale » Fri Feb 06, 2015 6:52 pm

I agree with you about the sound from the really early stuff as you mentioned it was more aggressive yes definitely but I was referring to the time after Hank got his Stratocaster and first beige coloured Vox amp. These are the sounds that most of us are crying out to get. Dodge
roger mosedale

Postby David Martin » Fri Feb 06, 2015 10:08 pm

dave robinson wrote:When I refer to 'that sound' I'm talking 1960 - Apache, Man Of Mystery . . . Up to maybe Wonderful Land and the first album and first EP. There was an excitment and magic about that sound but after that for me it changed and was lost. The subsequent Shadows records were acceptable but for me the early guitar sound was THE magic.
I would add that it was the original line up that was responsible for making it special, not just Hank's guitar. I'm in no doubt that Jet was equally responsible because of his distinctive powerful bass, as was Tony and Bruce at that time. The feel changed a little as can be heard on some tunes on the second album, mostly I think because of the bass style of Licorice.
Their guidance into becoming a family act didn't help much either as far as kids were concerned, I remember despairing as The Beatles swept them aside because of them losing that edge that prevailed in the early days. Some may disagree, but that's where it changed and began going downhill, but it's only now looking back that it becomes obvious that they became 'tame' compared to what was happening around them. I suppose the writing was on the wall when mum & dad began to like them. :idea:

Spot on...
David M
David Martin
Site Admin

Full Real Name: David Martin

Postby roger mosedale » Sat Feb 07, 2015 5:08 pm

you are right Dave the sound did change and go downhill, right or wrong if we find it difficult to exactly pin this debate down we are all agreed about that sound...it was and still is magnificent and as musicians I think we all basically know what we mean if individually we find it hard to agree on everything. I was not pleased when The Beatles kicked off, I'd just managed to start paying for my first Fender Stratocaster a 1963...white with a pale blue pick guard...yep pale blue not mint green...still got it, part of me life now. Dodge
roger mosedale

Postby abstamaria » Sun Feb 08, 2015 12:36 am

Indeed, Dave. I wasn't unhappy though when the Beatles appeared. As a 15-year-old, I embraced them, setting the Shadows and the Ventures aside like last year's clothes. I also ceased wanting to play then and became more of a listener, a casual one in two or so years. By 1966, I had given my electric guitar away. It wasn't until 15 years ago that I picked up a guitar and wanted to play again. That is why my memory of the Sound was so fresh to me. It wasn't overlayed by intervening experience.
abstamaria

Full Real Name: Andres Sta. Maria

Postby ab46 » Tue May 05, 2015 6:47 pm

"THAT SOUND is the sound from 60 to 63........... :D
Alain.
ab46

Postby alanb » Wed Aug 05, 2015 11:03 am

I had a Watkins copycat years ago probably the best Shadows sound ever on analogue format, have you seen the prices that these old machines can go for today. Wish I sill had mine.
alanb

Postby dave robinson » Thu Aug 06, 2015 1:09 pm

ab46 wrote:"THAT SOUND is the sound from 60 to 63........... :D
Alain.

I agree about the Copicat and I recently put it to the test buying an IC400 and gigging it for a while before selling it on, even though technically the heads are not in the same place as the Meazzi, it still sounded great. :)
Dave Robinson
dave robinson

Full Real Name: David Robinson

Postby dave robinson » Sun Oct 20, 2019 11:42 pm

I bought another IC400 Copiat as well as the Klemt Echolette, each sound divine, I'm gonna have to give them a blast again. :)
Dave Robinson
dave robinson

Postby Shadbarmy1 » Tue Feb 14, 2023 3:03 pm

Saw a Copicat echo unit being restored on The Repair Shop not long ago. It took me back over 50 years!!! Never mind "the sound", I am happy to just get the notes these days!!! :)
Shadbarmy1

Full Real Name: Mike Teaman

Postby dave robinson » Tue Feb 14, 2023 11:21 pm

I discovered very recently that the Roland Cube EX busking amp gives the perfect 'THAT SOUND' or should I say all of the various definitions of it, as long as you know how to tweak the knobs. I friend of mine brought one to play a few numbers with the band and my curiosity forced me to check it out. I was honestly blown away by what it could do for me and I spent all this week trying the budget version, the Boss STR2 Cube which sounds terrific. As a result of my findings I'm buying the more expensive Roland EX version, simply because of it's greater power, which at some point I know I'll need. That said, the Boss STR2 Cube will do the business for home and small club gigs. Recommended. :)
Dave Robinson
dave robinson

PreviousNext

Return to How To Get "That Sound"