Sliders Vintage Classic pickups

Loads of accumulated experience

Moderators: David Martin, dave robinson, Iain Purdon, George Geddes

Re: Sliders Vintage Classic pickups

Postby Twangaway » Sun May 23, 2010 1:38 pm

You don't have to be so bloody vulgar and personal, when I am being light hearted about this. Jeez, one born every day, no wonder people come and go here. You are the most problematic person around here compared to both the other David's. What is wrong with you ? sun gone to your bleached head ? 8-)

I'll butt out on this topic before I say something in public , I will regret
Have a nice day, and lighten up for God's sake, all this stuff is fun for us enthusiasts not the serious stuff that makes you the way you are or have become.

David
Twangaway

Postby dave robinson » Sun May 23, 2010 3:21 pm

Twangaway wrote:£ 750 for a set of pickups, now you are having a larff Dave :) so on the other hand Phil's recommendation as you say is cheaper but still OTT on price for bobbin winding a few hundred meters of enameled copper wire :) . I bet you blindfolded tests would reveal a lot about this so called experience and knowledge on sounds :):):)

I'm not having a laugh at all. That is the price Fender are quoting to anyone wanting those pickups- which is in this case Phil and myself, though neither of us were prepared nor could we afford such a ridiculous price.
I recognised the tone as soon as I heard the demo on my hi fi, so at the price of £195, I was happy to pay that for what is soundwise 'the real deal'. On the other hand, some folks won't be able to hear the difference between those pickups and a bar of soap. . . . . on the other hand, please don't be so disrespectful to those of us who can :lol:
Dave Robinson
dave robinson

Full Real Name: David Robinson

Postby Twangaway » Sun May 23, 2010 3:42 pm

Sorry Dave/Phil, never heard of these sort of prices and just because I couldn't justify such an expenditure (even if the sound was Golden) that doesn't mean you wealthy chaps shouldn't indulge. No offence intended, but £ 750 is a real eye opener for me hence the reaction, and more than I paid for a Marvin Signature Squire :)

Am sure you see merit in them, will have a listen to see what the fuss is all about as I hadn't bothered before as was generalizing about the fuss people have over pickups in search of something intangible. LOL

David
Twangaway

Postby dave robinson » Sun May 23, 2010 4:24 pm

Thanks for being big enough to say that David, if you check your PM I have sent you a message.

Getting back to these pickups, my Fender Masterbuilt 50th Anniversary guitar has pickups to die for and as reported, Fender want £750.00 for them , IF they feel like parting with them - these Sliders sound identical, I've placed an order for some to fit to my old '63 Strat, the originals are long gone, 30 odd years ago I slung them because they howled :oops: and I fitted some sevnties ones from a new guitar - I didn't know they could be 'wax potted ' and 'silenced at that time. We live and learn . . . . . Looking forward to getting them on. :D
Dave Robinson
dave robinson

Postby kipper » Sun May 23, 2010 5:52 pm

wow i didnt know pickups could cost that amount. i thought i was spending a lot when i brought some bareknuckles for about £150.00. thats what i like about this site with so many different levels of playing. you do live and learn ;) peter
kipper

Full Real Name: peter harrison

Postby dave robinson » Sun May 23, 2010 6:14 pm

Pickups shouldn't cost that amount (I'm referring to Fender's £750 for those Abigail Y'barra's fitted to the 50th Anniversary) but they have to justify the cost of the guitar they are fitted to I suppose, which comes in at around £4000.00. I'm pleased to have got mine for £1750.00 including Customs charges and delivery from the USA.
A few years ago everyone was happy to pay £229ish (if I remember correctly) for Hank Marvin approved Kinmans, which many have now rejected in favour of normal Fender pickups because although the sound is good, it isn't the old vintage sound that folks desire. We all agree that if Hank picks up a guitar and plays, we can recognise his sound instantly as his own, which is true to an extent, but with those Kinman's it was never the sound we knew on those old records, which for me set the benchmark of 'That Sound' .
It costs £120 upwards for Fender CS54's / 57/62's / Fat 50's / CS69's in the past and Seymour Duncan's special 'Antiquity' pickups are quite expensive too, as are the 'Bare Knuckle' ones.
From what I have heard, these Sliders will do exactly the same as those on my Masterbuilt Strat, so they are worth the money to me. :)
Dave Robinson
dave robinson

Postby ernie1958 » Sun May 23, 2010 8:36 pm

dave robinson wrote:
my old '63 Strat, the originals are long gone, 30 odd years ago I slung them because they howled

8-) Hey Dave...out of curiosity here..what do you mean by "howled"?I have an old '63 Strat with the original pups still in it and haven't
noticed anything considered "howling" ,whatever that might be,in the guitars sound... :?

Regards,
Ernie
ernie1958

Postby kipper » Sun May 23, 2010 9:27 pm

dave robinson wrote:Pickups shouldn't cost that amount (I'm referring to Fender's £750 for those Abigail Y'barra's fitted to the 50th Anniversary) but they have to justify the cost of the guitar they are fitted to I suppose, which comes in at around £4000.00. I'm pleased to have got mine for £1750.00 including Customs charges and delivery from the USA.
A few years ago everyone was happy to pay £229ish (if I remember correctly) for Hank Marvin approved Kinmans, which many have now rejected in favour of normal Fender pickups because although the sound is good, it isn't the old vintage sound that folks desire. We all agree that if Hank picks up a guitar and plays, we can recognise his sound instantly as his own, which is true to an extent, but with those Kinman's it was never the sound we knew on those old records, which for me set the benchmark of 'That Sound' .
It costs £120 upwards for Fender CS54's / 57/62's / Fat 50's / CS69's in the past and Seymour Duncan's special 'Antiquity' pickups are quite expensive too, as are the 'Bare Knuckle' ones.
From what I have heard, these Sliders will do exactly the same as those on my Masterbuilt Strat, so they are worth the money to me. :)

cant argue with any of that dave. peter
kipper

Full Real Name: peter harrison

Postby Twangaway » Sun May 23, 2010 10:35 pm

No problem Dave, but a friendly word of caution. Whatever the problem with the original 63 pickups, please do take this friendly well meant advice. Whatever you feel DO NOT dump them, for if you do you will be throwing away a cool £ 10,000 off the value of your Strat. Who cares ? the punter, the buyer of your Strat when it's time to sell. Those pickups, just like the switch tip eg , play a vital role in it's value via authenticity and the pickups are the engine of the guitar. Take those away and you have ripped the v8 engine and soul out of this Fiesta Red Ferrari. Please do not do that. If needs be get them rewound as last minute option.

This obsession just does not make sense when authenticity is at stake. Think about it every vintage guitar vandalized pushes up the value and prices of the remainder. This is exactly what upsets me as a humble musician when I see abuse of valuable guitars whether it's a humble Squire Marvin or Custom shop special, or NOS type Strat. It's sheer lunacy !!

David
Twangaway

Postby dave robinson » Sun May 23, 2010 11:26 pm

Twangaway wrote:No problem Dave, but a friendly word of caution. Whatever the problem with the original 63 pickups, please do take this friendly well meant advice. Whatever you feel DO NOT dump them,

David

If you read my earlier post David, you will see that I already did . . . . . . :oops: Luckily for me , the guitar isn't for sale, nor will it be while I'm around. ;)
Dave Robinson
dave robinson

PreviousNext

Return to How To Get "That Sound"