Sliders Vintage Classic pickups

Loads of accumulated experience

Moderators: David Martin, dave robinson, Iain Purdon, George Geddes

Re: Sliders Vintage Classic pickups

Postby Twangaway » Sun May 23, 2010 11:53 pm

Did you mean that you slung them some 30 years ago ?
Twangaway

Postby dave robinson » Sun May 23, 2010 11:59 pm

Yes. :|
Dave Robinson
dave robinson

Full Real Name: David Robinson

Postby Twangaway » Mon May 24, 2010 9:41 am

So sad Dave :) Now I can understand why you want something comparably good. Good Luck, and let us know what you think when done .
Twangaway

Postby dave robinson » Mon May 24, 2010 9:57 am

You seem to have got the idea David, I will report back here when the job is complete. 8-)
Dave Robinson
dave robinson

Full Real Name: David Robinson

Postby cockroach » Mon May 24, 2010 2:57 pm

Without wishing to continue or start an argument and/or controversy, I also have a bit of an issue with trying to solve tone problems by throwing money at them...

I think it must be very risky financially and a bit hit and miss practically, to keep trying out different new pickups etc and having to shell out considerable sums without even trying them out first. Same with buying guitars over the internet- I couldn't and wouldn't do that- I would need to try it out before I buy...

I've often tried out posh high end stuff in shops, or tried posh gear owned by friends etc, and either been very disappointed, in that the cost was not reflected in the superiority over more modestly priced gear, or I found that I just couldn't feel comfortable playing or using the stuff- I will say that I've saved a lot of money though! Conversely, I have tried a couple of the cheapest current Chinese Epiphone copies of Gibson SG and Les Paul- and to me, the neck is absolutely perfect and comfortable- and their cheapo humbuckers ain't bad either! My own guitar is the cheapest Chinese made Squier Telecaster, and I love it...no need for Seymour Duncans, DiMarzios etc etc either, as I can get very good Tele and other type tones from the standard Chinese pickups...

I also am at a loss as to folks buying their dream instrument, often high quality and and at high cost, then promptly replacing the pickups, neck, hardware etc etc !!

And don't even get me started on pickups which are supposed to be humbucking or noiseless....but in practice are NOT!!!!
cockroach

Full Real Name: john cochrane

Postby Twangaway » Mon May 24, 2010 10:06 pm

Hi Cockroach, that was precisely the point I was making, but at same time not wishing to offend anyone here. I understand Dave Robinson being rightly choosy and likely to be thrilled with theses pickups for his 63 Strat that sadly has no original pickups. So in Dave's case it is surely the next best thing he can do rather than shell out £ 750 for some deluxe pickups which may be no better.

My biggest chuckle is when I read about these guitarists on youtube writing in their comments and praises of them, when 90% probably platy screeching overdriven sound strats into distortion channels of amps that are not designed to give a clear sound. So why these guys hanker after 50's pickups is simply beyond my understanding, given these facts and also the modern acceptance of a guitar sound being a distorted one. In heaven's name why ?

Give me a clean strat , tele or ricki and a clean amp any day, as at comparable volumes these awesome tone bending guitars would crush the nuts of any modern day guitarist if played by a 60's guitarist who all know what sounds good and what doesn't. So it's not just the Shadows sound or era, but the complete 60's beat scene that showed us what was possible with guitars like the Who and Pete Townsend. Even the soul scene created some great guitar sounds.

So am pleased that I was not alone in this observation and then for me trouble got slated by someone who was simply foul mouthed towards me. I feel vindicated now.
Twangaway

Postby Mark Burton » Tue May 25, 2010 10:07 am

[quote="cockroach"]Without wishing to continue or start an argument and/or controversy, I also have a bit of an issue with trying to solve tone problems by throwing money at them...

I think it must be very risky financially and a bit hit and miss practically, to keep trying out different new pickups etc and having to shell out considerable sums without even trying them out first.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Isn't that the great thing about this site though ???? Robbo in particular has been very open about sharing his results across a whole variety of equipment which he has personally invested time and money - and Phil's doing the same, he's found these pups which have a great sound and he's sharing that with us all - and long may that continue !! I too have a set on order.

I'm currently having my AC4HTV modified by Amanda to have an EF86 front end and a variable attenuator which doesn't compromise sound quality - this should make an ideal practise / home amp - I will post results when that's finished. That's not to say everyone should rush out and buy one, it merely gives those of us who enjoy this type of music further options. :)
Mark Burton
Mark Burton

Full Real Name: Mark Burton

Postby Twangaway » Tue May 25, 2010 6:48 pm

I agree that without Dave Robinson's endless pursuit in trying out kit we would be non the wiser for choices we all have to make. I also applaud Phil who has shared much of his time and energy and like enthusiasm, no-one here is so daft as to not show appreciation. There replies and articles are always interesting and educational

Thanks Dave and Phil, but must not forget Justin as equally an impressive player and quick to pick up on info to share too.

David
Twangaway

Postby phil kelly » Tue May 25, 2010 10:26 pm

Hi All,
Just caught up with this thread and wish to make a small correction,
In conversation with Dave Robinson regards Sliders Classic 59 Pickups i mentioned i had tried to purchase one of 300 limited edition sets of scatterwound pickups that Fender had commisioned Abigail Ybarra to build a while back, called Abbey Masterwounds .These are very sought after, with each set you received a numbered certificate of authenticity as confirmation of your purchase.
The price i told Dave that i was faced with when i learnt of an available set for sale was indeed £ 750, ( needless to say which i declined ) but this was not Fender selling them but a private seller,
wires just got crossed slightly and its not Daves fault, probably didnt make things clear in my email to him.
They are however very expensive to buy if you can find a set, normally they fetch upwards of £ 450 , in addition i dont think Fender supply them anymore, you have to buy as Dave mentioned one of the excellent masterbuilt Strats he has to get the pickups, short of that its the secondhand market if you can find some, hence why Sliders represent excellent value for money, original pre cbs pickups cost a lot lot more, and do you know what youre getting ? i think its risky to say the least !
Just to clear up ,
Regards,
Phil.
phil kelly

Full Real Name: phil kelly

Postby shadowkarl » Thu Dec 15, 2011 3:29 pm

Hi to all,

I have bought the real sliders vintage pickups with the green beldur wire from roger allcock - even befor listening to Phils demo - and I must say I am very pleased with it. I had a lengthy information exchange with Rod from Slider pickups in Australia and I do have to admit, that he is a very knowledgable pick up guru. Knows nearly everything about single coils, how they were produced, is still "repairing" old fender pickups...and has access to the old 53 and 59 beldur type of formvar copper wires... He is also saying you do not have to reinvent the wheel just produce them, as they were produced in an authentic way.

So whenever I get any advice here from the pro`s I have a close look by myself mainly listening too and if it sounds good to me I give it a try. Still on the road and quest to the "holy grail" sound... I never will accept anything, which is marketing only and asking for prices which can not be justified. After all a Fender Stratocaster is still a system and sometimes a unique combination of elements, which also can be partly replaced for improvement.

regards

shadowkarl
shadowkarl

PreviousNext

Return to How To Get "That Sound"