Does Ampworks make the sound closer to an AC15 with EF86?

Loads of accumulated experience

Moderators: David Martin, dave robinson, Iain Purdon, George Geddes

Re: Does Ampworks make the sound closer to an AC15 with EF86?

Postby almano » Fri Jun 18, 2010 6:17 pm

Hi Bojan, your "Shane" sounds superb with the Amplitude and Reverb - the only possible observation I could make is that it may just be too clean and clear. It sounds to me that you probably used direct injection (straight feed) into your computer. Apparently Hank refused to use a direct feed into the mixing desk - he prefered his guitar to be miked up from the amp speakers so that the sound he heard in the studio was the one that would appear on the disc. Mind you, I don't say I'm a big authority on the subject, it's just that I read it the other day when I was "Googling" for some info on Hank's echo techniques!
But anyway, let me give you a link to that interview for you to check it out yourself:
http://www.ultimate-guitar.com/interviews/interviews/hank_marvin_everyone_has_to_move_on.html

I'm rather pleased that you favour the AC15 with an EF86 front end as the amp of choice for authentic Hank sounds as I'm currently doing (or have just started) a long term project in ressurecting one from '59/60 with a prototype Dick Denny treble boost circuit squeezed in. Should be interesting to see (hear) how it sounds when the job's finished. I'd be pleased to post some photos here of the rebuild, as it goes, if anyone's interested. I'm also trying to sort out a Copicat MKII - although this could, most probably, be a longer term rebuild in the end I rather suspect!

Excellent Shad's sounds though Bojan - if only I could get my old Strat' and seized up fingers even sounding half as good, I'd be very, very impressed with myself!

All the best, Cheers,

Alan.
almano

Re: Does Ampworks make the sound closer to an AC15 with EF86?

Postby Bojan » Fri Oct 08, 2010 9:13 am

Thanks Alan! :) How is your project coming along?
Bojan

Full Real Name: Bojan Drndic

Previous

Return to How To Get "That Sound"