Apache echo with a GT10

Loads of accumulated experience

Moderators: David Martin, dave robinson, Iain Purdon, George Geddes

Apache echo with a GT10

Postby jase » Mon Jul 26, 2010 11:48 pm

Its my first post so hi everyone. I'm playing about with Apache at the moment trying to get my Boss GT10 to get somewhere close to the echo sound on Apache, unfortunately I'm failing miserably. Ive watched what I can on you tube such as http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Zhm3w45-o3I&feature=related and also read on line what I can but I dont really understand whats going on that gives the very distingtive sound. I can use 3 seperate delays on the Gt10 if needed but haven't been able to get anyting close to the sound yet. I don't expect to be able to replicate the sound with what I'm using but it would be good to get a little nearer, any help would be great.
jase

Full Real Name: jason hill

Re: Apache echo with a GT10

Postby dave robinson » Tue Jul 27, 2010 12:10 am

Wher do you live Jason? If you're close to South Yorks we could help you.
Dave Robinson
dave robinson

Full Real Name: David Robinson

Postby shindig » Tue Jul 27, 2010 10:12 am

Hi,
I have been using a GT8 for years and I think GT8 and GT10 maybe aren't very different when it comes to programming. Some time ago - after listening to EFTP - I tried to make the Apache echo, and I think I came close.

FX2:
sub delay on
SDD
delay time 100 ms
feedback 0
level 20

Delay:
delay on
type dual-p
D1 time 300 ms
D1 feedback 3
D1 hicut flat
D1 level 20
D2 time 400 ms
D2 feedback 3
d2 hicut flat
D2 level 20
direct level 100

I always add a small amount of compression when playing lead. I just fooled around with the echo - not with the sound (treble, bass etc.).

For years I have been very satisfied with using the Boss units, but there seems to be a lack of interest ind making good Shadows echoes for them. For a gigging musician (playing many other things than Shadows) he Boss is a great unit. If you make 3 or 4 good echoes, you can play any Shadows number, and 95% of the audience will find that you are an excellent Hank - but when it really matters then Charlie's EFTP is the best (and you can make a loop with the Boss and eg. Yamaha MagicStomp).

Now if all people that have made reasonable Shadows echoes would tell us, then life would be easier.

Best regards

Knud-Erik
shindig

Postby dave robinson » Tue Jul 27, 2010 10:43 am

I fully agree with you are saying about using other echo boxes for Shads stuff Shindig, I use often a tape Copicat and with heads 2 & 3 engaged an acceptable 'Apache' echo is achievable, even though it is technically 'incorrect'. Your settings look pretty good and should help this gentleman achieve something along these lines. Having listened over and over again to the sound on the early Shadows TV live appearances, it is clear that the guitar and amp deliver the 'core' sound and although the Meazzi is used on these shows, it isn't as loud as we hear on the records, leading me to believe that Abbey Road studio reverb had a bigger part on those early records han first thought. We live and learn.
Thanks for sharing. :thumbup:
Dave Robinson
dave robinson

Full Real Name: David Robinson

Postby jase » Tue Jul 27, 2010 10:51 am

dave robinson wrote:Wher do you live Jason? If you're close to South Yorks we could help you.

Im down in Warwickshire, a little bit out of the way.
jase

Postby jase » Tue Jul 27, 2010 11:06 am

shindig wrote:Hi,
I have been using a GT8 for years and I think GT8 and GT10 maybe aren't very different when it comes to programming. Some time ago - after listening to EFTP - I tried to make the Apache echo, and I think I came close.

FX2:
sub delay on
SDD
delay time 100 ms
feedback 0
level 20

Delay:
delay on
type dual-p
D1 time 300 ms
D1 feedback 3
D1 hicut flat
D1 level 20
D2 time 400 ms
D2 feedback 3
d2 hicut flat
D2 level 20
direct level 100

I always add a small amount of compression when playing lead. I just fooled around with the echo - not with the sound (treble, bass etc.).

For years I have been very satisfied with using the Boss units, but there seems to be a lack of interest ind making good Shadows echoes for them. For a gigging musician (playing many other things than Shadows) he Boss is a great unit. If you make 3 or 4 good echoes, you can play any Shadows number, and 95% of the audience will find that you are an excellent Hank - but when it really matters then Charlie's EFTP is the best (and you can make a loop with the Boss and eg. Yamaha MagicStomp).

Now if all people that have made reasonable Shadows echoes would tell us, then life would be easier.

Best regards

Knud-Erik

Many thanks Shindig I'm going to give these settings a try. Looking at a glance at your settings what stands out is that your effect level and feedback are a lot lower than I had tried and I had used shorter delays as well. I had used a single delay and then fx1 and fx 2 rather than the dual, so your way also frees up an fx.
jase

Return to How To Get "That Sound"