Volume pedal

Loads of accumulated experience

Moderators: David Martin, dave robinson, Iain Purdon, George Geddes

Volume pedal

Postby Rosemary » Mon Sep 06, 2010 10:49 am

My ever increasing collection now consists of
1 acoustic
1 American Standard Strat
1 secondhand Mexican Strat as a backup (which we're very happy with - except for the trem bar being a bit tight but we'll get that adjusted some time)
1 Roland Micro Cube
1 Boss Digital Delay pedal
1 Shure mike and USB audio interface (that partially works - think I just need to play around with the settings some more)

So far and at my level and limitations these all do a reasonably good job but now I've discovered if I want to get the effects on Cavatina or Missing for example, I'll need a volume pedal so wondered if there any particular models that I should be looking for? After this I'm going to stop buying equipment for awhile. :)

Best wishes
Rosemary
Rosemary

Full Real Name: Rosemary Beattie

Re: Volume pedal

Postby Mikey » Mon Sep 06, 2010 12:21 pm

Hi Rosemary

Thats quite a collection you've got there. Two Strats?! I'm envious :mrgreen:
I believe the volume pedal Hank used on Cavatina and other numbers was a De Armond. Not sure which model but for some reason 610 comes to mind.

I hope this helps.

Kind Regards
Mikey

Postby Rosemary » Mon Sep 06, 2010 1:18 pm

Thanks Mike
I'll check with the music shop in the city. The backup (Mexican) Strat seems in really good condition and was about half the price of the American Strat. It's a sort of light metallic green and feels almost identical except for the tremolo bar. My husband said he actually prefers its sound to the new one but I love them both - and the acoustic too. The new one will go for its free service and string change very soon so I didn't want to be without one. :)
All the best
Rosemary
Rosemary

Postby Stratpicker » Mon Sep 06, 2010 4:40 pm

Volume pedals are like guitars, Rosemary. Often its not what you have or what you pay for them - its how you use them.
Volume pedals can cost over £60 UK for a Morley or only £18 - 20 UK for a Bespeco. I use a Bespeco, so does Ian McCutcheon and I guess lots of others, with just as good an efect. Expensive ones have "features" (like being able to move the 'bite point' at which the sound starts to come in) which might be handy if you are a "working" guitarist but to get the hang of the technique (that word again!), I'd go for a Cheapie.
cheers
Ian
Stratpicker

Full Real Name: Ian Plant

Postby ecca » Mon Sep 06, 2010 5:29 pm

Cock your little finger round the volume control Rosemary, you don't need a pedal.
ecca

Postby AlanMcKillop » Mon Sep 06, 2010 5:34 pm

Hank did use a Dearmond 610 on early Shads stuff but they're very hard to find now. From the mid/late 70's (Cavatina/Argentina), he used a Morley and from the mid 90's used a Boss FV300H.

As Ian has mentioned, the Bespeco is a good place to start. :thumbup:
AlanMcKillop

Full Real Name: Alan McKillop

Postby Rosemary » Tue Sep 07, 2010 11:00 am

Thanks Alan, Ian and Eric
I had a quick look on the web but couldn't see any mention of the Bespeco in the local stores here but will ask. There don't seem to be many volume pedals around and most of the effects seem to be suited to a different style of guitar playing by their description so they might be difficult to find but perhaps a store can order it in. Eric: Is that really possible? :)
All the best
Rosemary
Rosemary

Postby petercreasey » Tue Sep 07, 2010 2:33 pm

Rosemary wrote:Thanks Alan, Ian and Eric
I had a quick look on the web but couldn't see any mention of the Bespeco in the local stores here but will ask. There don't seem to be many volume pedals around and most of the effects seem to be suited to a different style of guitar playing by their description so they might be difficult to find but perhaps a store can order it in. Eric: Is that really possible? :)
All the best
Rosemary

Try this Rosemary http://www.imuso.co.uk/Effects/17977-/B ... gleproduct

Hope it helps
Take care
Peter

You don't stop playing when you grow old
You grow old when you stop playing
petercreasey

Full Real Name: Peter Creasey

Postby Rosemary » Wed Sep 08, 2010 10:01 am

Thanks Peter
I'll keep that link in case I can't find one in the music shops here.
All the best
Rosemary
Rosemary

Postby Stratpicker » Tue Sep 14, 2010 1:27 pm

I've had mine since 2006 and despite (to be honest) its slightly plasticky construction it has survived the constant onslaught of my 105kg and size 9 boots - and that includes gigging it fairly regularly.
It won't last forever but for £20 I would replace it with another.
You should have no wear problem with it.
Ecca's technique of hooking a finger round the vol pot knob certainly works well. Ive seen - and heard- Ecca use it to great effect. Maybe you should give that try if only just to see if you can. I have tried to do it, and can't :oops:
cheers
ian
Stratpicker

Full Real Name: Ian Plant

Next

Return to How To Get "That Sound"