Blue Star -- eTAP with W&F

Loads of accumulated experience

Moderators: David Martin, dave robinson, Iain Purdon, George Geddes

Blue Star -- eTAP with W&F

Postby Bojan » Wed Nov 10, 2010 6:43 pm

Here is a demonstration of the eTAP echo VST plugin after Piet upgraded its W&F capability . . .

I have used Goran Tangring's BT and lowered its volume so that the guitar and the echo can be heard clearly.

The only elements are my Strat (with CS54s) through Ampworks into the PC with the eTAP VST plugin.

Tell me what you think.

http://www.4shared.com/audio/mdujqj-n/B ... _ETAP.html

Bojan
Bojan

Full Real Name: Bojan Drndic

Re: Blue Star -- eTAP with W&F

Postby TributeShadow » Wed Nov 10, 2010 7:08 pm

Hi Bojan!
WOW, what a lovely sound!!! IMO it sound´s like "That sound!" :D

Regards,
Patrik
TributeShadow

Postby KurtFroberg » Wed Nov 10, 2010 7:38 pm

Very interesting, Bojan! I think maybe the W & F is a tad too much, otherwise very good!

Kurt
KurtFroberg

Full Real Name: Kurt Fröberg

Postby Bojan » Wed Nov 10, 2010 8:36 pm

Well, please keep in mind that this is a demonstration and that I have put the W&F settings to the maximum 100% in order to show the eTAP's W&F capabilities. Normally the W&F levels can be adjusted according to personal taste. But also, keep in mind that I have reduced the rhythm section significantly, so that the lead, and therefore the echo and the W&F, are much more prominent, which they would not be if the backing were turned up.

In any case, thanks guys, I'm glad you approve. :)

Bojan
Bojan

Postby John Boyd » Wed Nov 10, 2010 8:46 pm

Sounds great to me Bojan. I'm not really into the technical side of these things, but I assume that these plugins can only be used in a computer recording situation. Wouldn't it be great to be able to use these programs live?
Keep up the good work.
Cheers,
JB
John Boyd

Full Real Name: John Boyd

Postby Bojan » Wed Nov 10, 2010 9:26 pm

Actually, John I am currently using the eTAP in my PC as my echo for playing "live" through my PC speakers to backing tracks . So, the answer is, yes on both counts -- you can record and you can play live with VST plugins, it just depends on whether your output is your PC speakers, your amp, or a PA . . . and the best part is that you can add as many other plugins as you want, for example reverb, tremolo, chorus, distortion . . . the sky's the limit !! :) and most of the VST plugins are free!! The only reason I recorded Blue Star and did not play it live was that I do not have the proper recoring equipment for recording live stuff, except for a regular camcorder mic . . .

For best results you have to have a decent sound card in you PC or laptop, or a USB connected audio interface, with zero latency, which means that you can play and hear youself in real time. I have a regular Soundblaster Audigy sound card with an ASIO driver and that is quite enough for me. But if you want to use, let's say your laptop in a live situation, you have to have a good soundcard or audio interface, but nowadays that is not expensive at all. So, yes, this is definitely the way to go, especially for us "bedroom players." In my case, I don't don't even need an amp, because I can plug my guitar into my Korg Ampworks, and into the PC and into a PA, and you can get a fantastic Shadows soundwithout having to get all expensive equipment, not to mention carrying amps and stuff!! I think that nowadays, even some professionals are starting to use laptops for guitar effects. After all, today's analogue or digital outboard echo devices (Zoom, Magic Stomp, Alesis, Atlantis,I guess even the TVS3) all use similar computer technology and algorithms and stuff like that, and that is what your computer does using the VST plugins.

If you and other people are interested I could explain and demonstrate this in a separate thread, or maybe even make a "tutorial" video !! :lol: :lol: :lol:

Cheers,
Bojan
Bojan

Postby Bojan » Thu Nov 11, 2010 9:48 am

Here is the same soundfile with the BT turned up to a (relatively) normal loudness.

http://www.4shared.com/audio/NvwjHYnI/B ... _ETAP.html
Bojan

Postby RogerCook » Thu Nov 11, 2010 2:08 pm

Very nice Bojan. I'm hoping Piet's hardware unit will sound as good once he completes all the programming

Roger
RogerCook

Full Real Name: Roger Cook

Postby Bojan » Thu Nov 11, 2010 2:44 pm

So am I Roger . . . I have already signed up for one without even hearing it !!! :o :D
Bojan

Postby RogerCook » Thu Nov 11, 2010 2:55 pm

I'm part of Piet's pilot group for the project and my soldering iron is on already :P

Roger
RogerCook

Full Real Name: Roger Cook

Next

Return to How To Get "That Sound"