Blue Star -- eTAP with W&F

Loads of accumulated experience

Moderators: David Martin, dave robinson, Iain Purdon, George Geddes

Re: Blue Star -- eTAP with W&F

Postby tolo » Thu Nov 11, 2010 3:01 pm

Bojan - sounds excellent to me. Very authentic...

Now - for a Protools user - how about an RTAS version???

I know I can get a VST-RTAS wrapper - but VST plug in's are prone to flipping PT errors...

Any possiblity?? Please....???

Thanks guys

Tony.
http://www.tonylowther.com

ProTools 2020 - UA Apollo - Furman AC210 - 10.13 - i7 3.4Ghz Quad - 32G Crucial DDR3
tolo

Full Real Name: Tony Lowther

Postby Bojan » Thu Nov 11, 2010 3:40 pm

tolo wrote:Bojan - sounds excellent to me. Very authentic...

Now - for a Protools user - how about an RTAS version???

I know I can get a VST-RTAS wrapper - but VST plug in's are prone to flipping PT errors...

Any possiblity?? Please....???

Thanks guys

Tony.

Piet? Any ideas? :idea:
Bojan

Full Real Name: Bojan Drndic

Postby PeterV » Thu Nov 11, 2010 8:55 pm

Great to see use of eTap2 on this forum! It was designed to be used for this purpose in mind. The w&f feature was lost in action due to some compiler problems not yet fully understood by me. There are a couple of reasons why this product delivers, the echo tail, as an example, was created after about 40 hours of developing and calibrating. PeterK was one of the guys checking it on a daily bases until the tail was as the longtom machine. The injection of harmonics and noise and tape/valve characteristics was also contributed key elements. Jacob's accurate building of the JPatches is also a major contributor to the fine performance of this product.

With the forthcoming hardware solution I'm assuming a product that's at least better then the magic stomp/Q20 as a first version ( 65 euro exclusive pot meters, selectorswitch and 12volt mains adaptor). The second version is assumed by me as potential best in class as the artifacts are kept outside the DSP unit. The actual status is pre-pilot build 100% success and kits are ready for shipment to the pilot group. Before shipment takes place I need to get a first echomatic version in the unit so the pilot group can start using the unit. They will be requested to exchange the unit later in time to get the total final load of emulations.

With respect to porting etap2 to other environments. This would only be considered if I would know a wider audience for this product. Remember that most of the users of eTap2 are not in the target group initialy defined . As a last remark, it's all labor of love [see footnote] work I do to keep the brain warm during wintertime. It's part of one of my many hobby's like creating liqueurs, roasting my coffee beans and creating apps for the Apple environment. For the last two months I'm very busy with social affairs ( a hardware interrupt :oops: for my hobby's)

Piet

What's that pre-pilot/pilot nonsense? It's not a pilot certificate but...The pre-pilot is a build with , if required some handholding support, this process is to assure the documentation like instructions, fit of components kit are up-to-date. Based on this pre-pilot the decision was made to change one capacitor's value as a precaution and adding a couple of resistors to allow for the DIY person to adjust the LED's to an acceptable light output by selecting the best resistor. Pilot build is the process of building it without handholding just based on provided information and kit.

[footnote] Labour of love is free stuff. most people think it's not up to the standard compared with what you buy. Let's do some calculations here:

300 hours development = 12000 Euro + 80 hours patch development = 3200 Euro + acquired software = 300 = 15500 Euro

The total cost to produce is 15500 Euro's lets say we've sold 500 units that would (UMC unit manufacturing cost) cost 31 Euro and the cost to you 3* 31 =93 Euro. For 100 units UMC would be 155 Euro's and the cost to you 465 Euro's. There is no sane commercial person in the world that would even considering taking the risk in building this and making money out of it. So it's an unique module with extended capabilities you never can acquire through commercial channels! ;)
Last edited by PeterV on Fri Nov 12, 2010 4:38 pm, edited 2 times in total.
PeterV

Postby Bojan » Thu Nov 11, 2010 9:28 pm

Wow Piet, I can hardly wait to hear it in action !!! :thumbup:
Bojan

Postby PeterV » Fri Nov 12, 2010 10:14 am

Bojan wrote:Wow Piet, I can hardly wait to hear it in action !!! :thumbup:

There are now 3 units build and there are non vintage 2 echo's loaded already and used. The skeleton of the first Echomatic2 is runnig but requires still alot of work, The tape artifacts are to be integrated, the filtering and the feedback mechanism next. Remember it's DSP programming on the lowest level (assembler) an understanding of the mnemonics and the inner working of the DSP chip is key before you can program this. It's not like having lego blocks in 7 different colours and pick any colour :lol: . It's a chess game, what I like, finding the best way into success. Programming the eTap2 allowed for more degrees of freedom then programming a DSP unit.

Your statement on using the PC for VST moules iso hardware is fully supported by me. A new way of using this is the use of the nVidea graphical units to be used as the VST host. In those boards you'll find GPU processing that can process up to 500 gigaflops double precise computing that is! on processing. I have an older nvidea gaphical unit that's running my convolution reverb modules without putting any load on the main processor CPU. The "dark side" on this type of power is that it takes only 5 seconds to get complex passwords decyphered.

Piet
PeterV

Postby tolo » Fri Nov 12, 2010 10:31 am

PeterV wrote:With respect to porting etap2 to other environments. This would only be considered if I would know a wider audience for this product.

Well - I think that Protools is the Industry standard host for most professional DAW systems across the world - even Hank uses PT! I for sure would buy it in RTAS version...in a heartbeat!

But - I guess I am not the one doing the hard work!!

I will follow with great interest.

Thanks guys...

Tony.
http://www.tonylowther.com

ProTools 2020 - UA Apollo - Furman AC210 - 10.13 - i7 3.4Ghz Quad - 32G Crucial DDR3
tolo

Full Real Name: Tony Lowther

Postby singtag » Sun Nov 14, 2010 2:15 am

Hi Bojan,

Absolutely great sound. I would really like to learn to use this PC capability. I love the idea of your posting a tutorial - I for one would be very grateful. Thanks.

Regards,

Tony
singtag

Full Real Name: Tony Gillard

Postby Bojan » Sun Nov 14, 2010 3:30 pm

RogerCook wrote:I'm part of Piet's pilot group for the project and my soldering iron is on already :P

Roger

How I envy you Roger :mrgreen:

Good luck!! :)

Bojan
Bojan

Postby Bojan » Sun Nov 14, 2010 3:36 pm

singtag wrote:Hi Bojan,

Absolutely great sound. I would really like to learn to use this PC capability. I love the idea of your posting a tutorial - I for one would be very grateful. Thanks.

Regards,

Tony

Well, Tony, OK. I'm not much of an expert, but I think I have figured out a good way to use the eTAP2 and other VST plugins for live playing. I'll try to combine a textual explanation for the setup and illustrate how it is used and how it sounds with a video "tutorial" :D -- as soon as I find enough time to do that!!
Bojan

Postby MickB » Sun Mar 27, 2011 6:15 pm

Hi Bojan
After reading your comments re ETAP2,I decided to download the file together with VTS plugin.I must admit to being very impressed,so much so that this is the only thing I use now for playing at home.Not as yet having a laptop I continue using my Zoom RFX2000 and Gn2 for live work through my Laney VC30.However I agree with you that the ETAP2 is an
amazing piece of software and can certainly see myself using this on stage in the very near future so goodbye to the Zoom.
Thank you for pointing me towards the Etap,and I also thought your sound file was very good.
Keep up the good work.
Regards Mike
MickB

PreviousNext

Return to How To Get "That Sound"