Pickups...

Loads of accumulated experience

Moderators: David Martin, dave robinson, Iain Purdon, George Geddes

Re: Pickups...

Postby bor64 » Fri Oct 18, 2019 10:19 am

Hi Andy,

Does your strat pu's have a lower G pole, same height as the high E pole?

So it seems I have to wait what Stephan thinks about this recording of WL, because it seems he can hear the difference between the tools used and available kinda blindfolded...when you reed his comments...

Cheers Rob
"afterwards everyone is clairvoyant"
bor64

Full Real Name: Rob Aartsen

Postby Iain Purdon » Fri Oct 18, 2019 12:12 pm

Please let's keep it about the music, not each other!

bor64 wrote:Hi Ian,

Thanks for the nice words.
I'm sure the people involved will appreciate your comment, any view on the equipment?

Cheers Rob

I have no view on the equipment, Rob, I don't know what it was. Anyway, it doesn't matter to me. I've heard enough people playing Shadows music over the years to know that the equipment used is not what it's about. It's about musicianship. There's a variety of gear around that will get you into the ballpark, then it's down to how you play it! Whoever played this got it very good.

Cheers - Iain
Iain Purdon
site admin group
Iain Purdon
Site Admin

Full Real Name: Iain Purdon

Postby nivramarvin » Fri Oct 18, 2019 2:20 pm

Stu's Dad wrote:Is it in the ball park?

Hello Len,

could you please explain to me, what is meant by "ball park"? Google translates it as "Baseballstadion" in German.

Tank you

Wolfgang
nivramarvin

Full Real Name: Wolfgang Hefele

Postby JimN » Fri Oct 18, 2019 2:30 pm

nivramarvin wrote:

Hello Len,

could you please explain to me, what is meant by "ball park"? Google translates it as "Baseballstadion" in German.

Tank you

Wolfgang

That is exactly what it means.

It's an American slang term which has regrettably taken root in the UK (despite the noticeable lack of ball-parks here)*.

The entire phrase means something like "roughly within the right set of values".

[* cf: "Can I get...?" for "May I have?".]
JimN

Full Real Name: Jim Nugent

Postby Stu's Dad » Fri Oct 18, 2019 4:13 pm

nivramarvin wrote:

Hello Len,

Tank you

Wolfgang

Jim's got it right Wolfgang, what I meant was, 'Does it sound reasonably close to the original?'

I hope that makes sense,

Len
Stu's Dad

Full Real Name: Leonard Evans

Postby dave robinson » Fri Oct 18, 2019 4:45 pm

When I use the term 'in the ball park', I am saying that it is as close as it gets with all the variables like acoustics and string gauges, playing style, pick attack to take into account.
It means it's very good :)
Dave Robinson
dave robinson

Full Real Name: David Robinson

Postby abstamaria » Sat Oct 19, 2019 7:11 am

Hello, Rob, Dave, all.

I checked the pickups on my “Marvin” Strat and note that the G pole is tall. It is not the same height as the much lower high E pole.

I have another Masterbuilt Strat, by John Cruz, which is supposed to be ‘59 spec as well, and an off-the-shelf US ‘60 reissue. They have similar pole heights as the Marvin Strat, with a high G pole as well. I suppose this stagger suits the heavy, flat-wound strings I use on the Marvin Strat, with a wound G string.

I checked the pole heights on a 4th US Strat, bought new about 15 years ago and I suppose the standard configuration then. The G pole is the same height (almost) as the high E, which is taller than the A pole. The pole edges are also sharp. It sounds very different from the Marvin Strat and even the reissue,which also uses round-wound strings.

I will reread this thread and hope to learn more. (No, I Will not touch the pick ups.)

Best,

Andy
abstamaria

Full Real Name: Andres Sta. Maria

Postby dave robinson » Sat Oct 19, 2019 9:43 am

Hi Andy, I too have similar pickups on some Strats with similar pole piece heights and it seems to be in keeping with vintage methods as you say for the heavier wound third string. My Fender USA AVRI is one that features these pickups with no bevel on the pole pieces, as does my 62 CIJ Fender Strat and Sliders, but not so the Amilfitano Vintage set.
That said, I'm happy with all of them as they achieve the desired result. I currently have a Chinese Tokai Strat here that has the cheaper type pickups that has shiny pole pieces on the pickups and they are all level and I have to admit that it sounds bloody good and is very close to the sound also.
I've recorded loads of stuff over the years and I'm convinced that the sound is affected more at the amp end of things. Lot's of amps get in the ball park but if you want near perfection, the EF86 tube is a large factor for getting those harmonics in the mix. :)
Dave Robinson
dave robinson

Postby abstamaria » Sat Oct 19, 2019 10:47 am

I am thinking that, all other things being equal, pole stagger would affect the relative volume of the strings more than tone.
abstamaria

Full Real Name: Andres Sta. Maria

Postby dave robinson » Sat Oct 19, 2019 10:52 am

abstamaria wrote:I am thinking that, all other things being equal, pole stagger would affect the relative volume of the strings more than tone.

Yes indeed, the tone on a single wound pickup such as the ones Leo Fender invented will be roughly the same whoever builds the pick up, if the windings and materials are similar.
The height of the pole pieces however do affect the level, same as a vocalist singing closer to a microphone - or not. :)
Dave Robinson
dave robinson

PreviousNext

Return to How To Get "That Sound"