Pickups...

Loads of accumulated experience

Moderators: David Martin, dave robinson, Iain Purdon, George Geddes

Re: Pickups...

Postby s4wgb » Mon Jan 28, 2013 12:59 pm

Has anyone heard of Ron Eliis pickups?
Have been reading on some on the web that these are the best ever!
Also they take about 5 months for him to make!
There is no website for him.
s4wgb

Postby dave robinson » Mon Jan 28, 2013 3:14 pm

Bill Bowley wrote:Very interesting thread......

Not surprisingly I don't see any mention of Lace sensors - in my opinion (for what it is worth) the Lace 'Holy Grail' set does an excellent reproduction of '62 HBM tones on my '62 MIJ re-issue. :roll:

I had a Strat Plus a long time ago with those Gold Lace Sensors - fantastic sound but horrid to look at - hence I went back to the traditional look . . . . . . :?
Dave Robinson
dave robinson

Full Real Name: David Robinson

Postby Bill Bowley » Tue Jan 29, 2013 10:20 am

Dave,

If you liked the sound but not the looks then the 'Holy Grail' might be worth a try - they have the six poles and look same as normal Fender pickups. Here's a clip from YouTube to show you what I mean regarding looks, I note that the playing is not Shads but I think you may get the idea. ;)
Bill Bowley

Postby Bill Bowley » Tue Jan 29, 2013 10:41 am

Here's the lowdon from Lace website:

Lace Holy Grails™

Vintage '54 Strat® Sound - Classic Electric Guitar Pickup

The Lace Holy Grail™ is the ultimate hum cancelling, vintage toned guitar pickup; the tone of a '54 Strat® without all the noise or the crazy price tag.

Conventional stacked pickups sacrifice the high and low end, but the Holy Grail's patented break-through sidewinder design retains the depth and the sparkle that is the hallmark of vintage guitar tone. Pure Alnico 5 magnets combined with Lace technology delivers that classic tone you have been searching for.

"Grails are the richest sounding pups I have heard. They sound so good both clean and distorted and they quack like nothing else I have ever heard. I'm going to put these on all my strats."
-Jet-Strat, FDP

Specs

Lace Sensor-Holy Grail HG-1000
•Position: neck, mid, bridge
•Resistance: 10.7k
•Peak Frequency: 3400Khz
•Inductance: 3.0 Henries

Lace Sensor-Holy Grail HG-1500
•Position: bridge
•Resistance: 11.5k
•Peak Frequency: 3200
•Inductance: 3.2 Henries

Also available: 3-pack with (2) HG 1000 neck and mid and (1) HG 1500 bridge
Pickups available in the following colors:

Black with Lace Sensor logo
White with Lace Sensor logo
Aged White with no logo
Mint with no logo
Attachments
HOLY_GRAIL_CRM.jpg
HOLY_GRAIL_CRM.jpg (29.01 KiB) Viewed 613708 times
Bill Bowley

Postby Geoff Alderton LH » Wed Jan 30, 2013 5:41 pm

Hi Bill
That's a great sound Bill, not Shads but a great sound, great playing and a super instro. Very Lee Ritenour. Do we know what the tune is?
Regards Geoff.
Geoff Alderton LH

Postby Bill Bowley » Thu Jan 31, 2013 10:34 am

G'Day Geoff,

The tune is 'Com El Mar Y La Lunar' and the player is Cesar Huesca - he works as a session musician and has a few albums around, some sample tracks available on the net. I don't mind his sound at all, something slightly different than the general trend theses days methinks! Here's another track with the Lace Holy Grails, which is the main reason I added him to this thread, not the particular sound. ;)
Bill Bowley

Postby Geoff Alderton LH » Thu Jan 31, 2013 1:34 pm

Hi Bill
As per the previous Lace demo. Great sound and playing great demo, could be Carlos S playing.
Great advert for Lace pickups.
Regards Geoff.
Geoff Alderton LH

Postby Poggle » Fri Jun 28, 2013 9:45 pm

Hi folks. I am new to the forums but wanted to say that I put a set of Trev Wilkinson pickups into my Squier Affinity strat last night and the difference is wonderful. I have the Fender Mustang 1 amp as well and have managed to get a semi shads sound out of it with a lot of messing around.
Poggle

Postby Gary Allen » Fri Jun 28, 2013 10:56 pm

I reckon a lot of guys here have gone full circle when it comes to pickups,only to discover that the first set they had were great and by this time theyre usually gone..sold discarded..whatever, theres great fun to be had along the journey, after about 6 months you kind of get the impression theres something better out there and out comes the credit card, do this 3 or 4 times and youre a real tonehound (I came across that word recently). I could never listen to a recording and say..yeah thats fat 50s or yeah definitely cs54s, can you ? Only the owner can tell the difference. Now I usually look on youtube when Im curious about new pickups, Anyone notice how the player says theyre awesome and then plays a few licks that barely resemble SRV (when he was about 3yrs old). The last pickup I bought was a dimarzio VV heavy blues 2 (bridge). It had a superior sound,well...it did until I put the 57/62 back in, now that has a superior sound. rant over, the coffee has me hyper..............Gary
Gary Allen

Full Real Name: Gary Allen

Postby abstamaria » Sat Jun 29, 2013 2:12 am

That's probably all true, Gary!

Stupid question: to replicate the sound of Hank's pickups, wouldn't the best approach be to copy them, warts and all? Ditto trem blocks, strings, etc.

Best,

Andy
abstamaria

Full Real Name: Andres Sta. Maria

PreviousNext

Return to How To Get "That Sound"